roasted sweet potato and asparagus pasta

in Cooking Light,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

My birthday isn’t until next week, but I have gotten a couple gifts early.

One of them I am so SO excited about I had to use it right away – my new spiralizer!

I have wanted one of these for years, and now that I have one, I have no idea why I waited so long to get one. Veggie pasta will be the new house specialty, I think.

I was able to use a spiralizer and a mandoline during my vegan and raw fusion class over the summer, and have really wanted one ever since then. I have a list of ideas to use this for – I cannot wait to share them all with you!

This is light and summery, using the summer’s zucchini, and has a hint of fall with the sweet potato. I know, I can have them year round, but sweet potatoes are a cool weather thing for me. They kinda go along with all the autumn and winter squash.

roasted sweet potato and asparagus pasta

inspired by Tomato and Asparagus “Carbonara”

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

serves four

3 small zucchini
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
 sweet potato, peeled
salt
olive oil

2-3 ounces jack cheese (I used this – vegan)
1/3 cup wine (I used dry vermouth)

Slice zucchini into pasta (using spiralizer, mandoline, julienne peeler), set aside. Slice asparagus into bite size pieces. Chop sweet potato into cubes. Toss asparagus and potato with olive oil, arrange on baking sheet, sprinkle with salt. Roast in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

In pan over low heat, combine olive oil (1-2 tablespoons), cheese and wine – stirring until it melts into a sauce. Remove from heat, add zucchini pasta and toss to coat with sauce. Plate the pasta and top with the roasted asparagus and sweet potato.

Have you ever made pasta noodles from vegetables?

1 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 19, 2012 at 3:51 am

These pictures are beautiful; it’s hard to believe they’re veggies since they look so curly and bouncy.. Your pasta salad looks really refreshing, as always. Asparagus is pretty much my favorite green veggie so you had me at hello.

2 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:48 am

I know Meghan, I love how ‘bouncy’ this is – especially the middle part of the zucchini, it gets really curly and fun. asparagus is one of my favorites too – and roasted? mmm…

3 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Oh yes roasted asparagus…mmmmmm.

4 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm

it is my favorite!!

5 Abby September 19, 2012 at 4:22 am

I don’t think I could ever replace actual pasta with spiralized veggies, but I think it would make salads so much more fun and pretty! Plus, I eat asparagus with my lunch every day, so you had me at the recipe title…

Happy Early Birthday!!!

6 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:46 am

thank you Abby! :D

we are not big on pasta – I don’t know what happened to me, I used to love it. so this is fine as a pasta for me! and I could have eaten that whole pan of asparagus all alone… YUM.

7 Abby September 19, 2012 at 8:03 am

Word. I like it in lasagna or tortellini, but I’m much more of a rice/quinoa girl myself. And veggies are always a given. ;)

8 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:41 am

quinoa all the way! :)

9 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 19, 2012 at 5:17 am

YUM! Happy early birthday and yay for the spiralizer, I am so jealous! I hope I get some more zucchini from our CSA so I can make this, it looks amazing.

10 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:44 am

thank you!! I hope you get more zucchini too – this was so good I cannot wait to make it again!

11 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 19, 2012 at 5:44 am

A spiralizer is one of those things I never thought I’d want but I really do. I love using squashes for “pastas” but it’s not as fun just using the mandoline. And Seriously, you just kill most mornings with these flipping amazing looking dishes. I really could have that for lunch please and thank you ;-)

12 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:43 am

I wish I could just bring this to you at lunchtime!! really, I would! :D

13 Cooking Karen September 19, 2012 at 5:59 am

This looks divine! What a great way to make veggie pasta with the spiralizer (I have always used the mandolin). I am going to try this with my apple/peeler/corer slicer (ex Pampered Chef consultant that I am!). And so easy to make Paleo with broth instead of wine. Shame about the cheese. (drat!!) Can’t wait to try.

14 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:43 am

haaa, Karen, I knew you had to be a consultant or have been to a party – every time I hear “apple peeler/corer/slicer” I know it is Pampered Chef!! my mom was a consultant for years ;) …and yes, I suppose even if the cheese is plant based, it’s not really paleo? you can make it more like a carbonara sauce with an egg?

15 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 19, 2012 at 6:25 am

Happy early birthday!!! Embarrassing confession: I got a spiralizer months ago and I still can’t figure it out. The damn instructions are in Japanese!

16 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:41 am

yeee, thank you!! :) oh wow – what “brand” is it, or can you even tell? do you have a photo of it, maybe I can help you? (I have used several kinds…)

17 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm
18 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm

okay, that looks like a good one! so, the handle thing at the top? probably just pulls up (or turns up, like a screw)… the spike things on it, let’s just say you’re usinng a zucchini… hold the zucchini vertically, push the end of it into the spikes, situated over the blade. then push down and start turning, the ribbons should come out the bottom, underneath. not sure how to change the blades… mine slide in and out, so perhaps these do too? give it a try!! :D

19 Paula - bell'alimento September 19, 2012 at 6:27 am

Oh my goodness that spiralizer – so awesome!

20 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:40 am

it is SO fun, Paula! I’ve made some cool stuff with it already…

21 purelylori September 19, 2012 at 7:31 am

yes!!! girl you know Michelle and I love our spiralizer, we use it just about everyday. zucchini pasta is about the only way I like my zucchini these days ;)

22 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:39 am

Jason even LOVED this, and has not been a zucchini fan in the past. I am so excited by that! :) (I had a backup dinner for him just in case… we eat that tonight!).

23 Christina September 19, 2012 at 8:19 am

Oohhh it’s almost your birthday! What day is your birthday? Mine is next month and I’m already trying to figure out what to do lol.

Oh my I LOVE my spiralizer. I have a much smaller one (we don’t have hardly any storage space) but it works well. Zucchini noodles is amazing!

24 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:41 am

we LOVE the zucchini noodle! Jason even likes them, I was so excited about that! :)

my birthday is September 27… weeee! when is yours, fellow Libra perhaps?

25 Lisa September 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

I’ve seen this kind of thing before and I’ve always wanted to try it. What a delicious idea!

26 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm

it is SO fun, I’m loving this new toy! :)

27 Ashley F. September 19, 2012 at 9:25 am

Sweet! Looks almost as fun to make as it does to eat!

28 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm

it really was! :)

29 jobo September 19, 2012 at 10:13 am

What an awesome gift! I want one! And I just totally pinned that sucker up. that looks di-vine.

30 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I know, I LOVE it!! (and if you really do want one, this is the one he got me – great quality and not too terribly expensive –> Paderno )

31 Allie September 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’m definitely a sweet-potatoes-in-the-fall sort of gal too. I’ve never tried veggie noodles, but don’t think I haven’t eyed a spiralizer and dreamed of it…

32 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I actually don’t think I had them before my cooking class… unless it was at a restaurant… but I LOVE this thing!

33 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Oh my gawsh, that’s one awesome spiralizer! I like, I like! Happy Birthday in advance if for some reason I miss the date :)

34 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

hee, I am so excited to have it – I really like the one J chose too :) and thanks! it’s next week… we’ve been celebrating all month, kinda ;)

35 Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious September 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Dang it, now I WANT ONE too! This looks great!

36 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm

thanks, Dorothy! I’ve already used it several times, I love it! :)

37 Elizabeth September 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I like how thick the zucchini came out. What model is the spiralizer? I recently came across your site. You have some good recipes. Thanks!

38 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:09 pm

hi Elizabeth, thank you for reading! :) this spiralizer is a great one, it has a blade that makes really thick noodles, I like that too! this is the one I have: Paderno World Cuisine I’ve used it several times already and really like it, very good quality and sturdy!

39 Hannah-lyz September 20, 2012 at 3:45 am

I have wanted a spiralizer ever since I first found out the existed! You lucky thing! I have made several none-too-subtle hints that one would make a fabulous birthday present… ;-) Untill then I’ll make do cutting things into ribbons.. and dreaming of the day I can spiralise every. single. thing in the kitchen =D Spiral stir-fry, anyone? =D

40 Hannah-lyz September 20, 2012 at 3:46 am

*they

41 spabettie September 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I know – I have already spiralized some pretty cool things ;) this is SO fun, I do hope you get one soon – I wanna see a spiral stir fry!! :D

42 Deborah September 20, 2012 at 6:47 am

Happy early birthday!! (September birthdays are the best – mine is this week!) And I adore sweet potatoes in any form, and I think I need a spiralizer now!!

43 spabettie September 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm

thank you Deborah, and back atcha – have a great birthday!! this spiralizer is so much fun, you DO need one… (a last minute bday gift??) ;)

44 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

I love how thickly you cut the zuccinni in this recipe, I don’t think I’ve tried out that section of my spiralizer yet. It looks so fresh, healthy, and tasty! You’re going to love that kitchen tool, it’s very awesome and fun to use too. And happy early birthday. :)

45 spabettie September 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I know, I used the big triangle blade! It will probably be my most used blade… I am already loving this thing!

46 Linda Mercury September 23, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Oooooooooh!

*drools*

47 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm
48 Monique Hanson December 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm

This was delish! The combination of sweet potatoes and the asparagus is awesome. I used actual pasta though and Daiya mozzarella shreds for the sauce.