Grapefruit Kale Chiffonade Salad

Grapefruit Kale Chiffonade Salad – a brightly colored and vibrantly flavored array of textures will satisfy all senses – sweet, savory and tart; crunchy, salty, and fresh!

Grapefruit Kale Chiffonade Salad

I made a new kale salad yesterday. I chiffonaded the kale.

Then piled it high in glorious salad freshness, and added grapefruit segments and hazelnuts.

Kale and grapefruit and hazelnuts, oh my.

Grapefruit Kale Chiffonade Salad

One thing I definitely learned in my class this month?

The beauty of massaging kale.

I am now positive that I have enjoyed this phenomenon at restaurants, but have never done it myself. I always thought, meh, that’s weird, giving it a side eye.

um, guys? I have been proven wrong. Massaging kale is absolutely the best thing you can do it, and wow it makes a fantastically awesome salad – breaking down the kale, giving it a softness, infusing whatever flavors you give to the dressing that massages…

It is messy, but absolutely worth that mess.

So I’m thinking massaging and chiffonading is just the perfect thing for a salad.

Grapefruit Kale Chiffonade Salad

Grapefruit Kale Chiffonade Salad

soy, dairy, gluten free, vegan

serves 4-6

4-5 large bunches kale, stems/ribs removed
1 grapefruit, peeled
1/2 cup candied hazelnuts, choppedย

Chiffonade kale (roll up and slice thin). Place in large bowl and massage with dressing (recipe below). Peel grapefruit and remove pith. Divide each segment into 2-3 pieces each, add to kale. Top kale and grapefruit with chopped hazelnuts, serve immediately.

maple grapefruit dressing

soy, dairy, gluten free, vegan

juice of 1 grapefruit
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon tahini
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
pinch sea saltย

Using a whisk or blender, combine all ingredients.ย

Grapefruit Kale Chiffonade Salad

I am already thinking of the next time I can make this salad. Preferably when I am having at least a few people over, so I can double the recipe and make a lot.

Grapefruit Kale Chiffonade Salad

I love the chiffonade! I’m sure oranges would work fine with this… a grapefruit incident, huh? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Truth, I have never massaged my kale. Now I really feel like I need to! Also, I’m not a fan of fruit on my salads, but grapefruit and kale really does seem right. The bitterness of the kale with the sour, yet slightly sweet grapefruit…yeah, I bit this is amazing! Definitely making this one!

I cannot believe all this time I gave the kale massage an eye roll – really. It’s awesome. Try the grapefruit, let me know what you think! :)

You must have been rolling your eyes when you heard me oohing & ahhhing over kale in the past – I LOVE massaged kale. It’s heaven. And you can lick your fingers after you’re done massaging, not that I’ve ever done that (of course). ๐Ÿ˜‰

haa, I haven’t given you an eye roll, not once! I love Love LOVE kale and make salads with it all the time, I just really didn’t think massaging actually did anything? I’m making up for it now, for sure!

…I wouldn’t know anything about that licking fingers either. not at all.

Ok, chiffonaded kale is a great idea! How have I never done this before? Plus this salad sounds like it would provide the perfect hit of fresh veg taste in winter, when citrus and kale are at their peaks. Love it!

I eat a lot of salads in the warm summer months, I just crave them all the time, but yes, this would be great in the winter time as well – a bright freshness among cold temps and comfort foods!

and chiffonading kale – please try it! ๐Ÿ˜€

Nicely done! I’ve done my fair share of massaging kale (I love how dirty that sounds), but have to chiffonade it. Now I think I might have to, because you have really sold it. And seriously – I love the citrus/greens combo. That looks so refreshing, especially with such warm weather we’re *supposed* to be having!

haaa – dirty. I just never really put two and two together, in how massaging makes the kale so yummy good. you should try the chiffonade as well – massage and chiffonade just GO together! ๐Ÿ˜€ you just wait, that sun is going to return!

For the longest time, I HATED kale because 1. It cost $8.95 a bunch here. 2. I never massaged it before eating it. 3. I made kale chips and overcooked them and they disintegrated in my hands. Now that I learnt key kale lessons, I’m a huge fan. Chiffonade? So fancy.

• Kristina Sloggett says

chiffonade IS fancy, but that’s not why I do it (I know, surprised?). you should try the chiffonade on kale sometime – like, soon – it helps to break down / soften the kale that much more, and also makes it EASIER TO EAT. ha. because that’s what we need…

happy to hear you have come over to the Kale Side. *flashes Kale Gang Sign*

• Kristina Sloggett says

oooh Brandy am I ever envious of your tree! we have a cherry tree that I love, but I have always wanted a citrus tree… I hope this IS your lunch today – enjoy!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thanks Lauren – and yes, me too – I think it was all the blood oranges I consumed, I cannot get enough bright citrus flavor lately!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you Martha! I love this one, and it brings a bright freshness in winter, right about now when I am craving spring and summer!