grapefruit kale chiffonade salad

in appetizers, Dinner, Gluten Free, raw, recipes, summertime, Vegan

grapefruit kale chiffonade

I made a new kale salad yesterday. I chiffonaded the kale.

Then piled it high in glorious salad freshness, and added grapefruit segments and hazelnuts.

Kale and grapefruit and hazelnuts, oh my.

grapefruit kale salad

One thing I definitely learned in my class this month?

The beauty of massaging kale.

I am now positive that I have enjoyed this phenomenon at restaurants, but have never done it myself. I always thought, meh, that’s weird, giving it a side eye.

um, guys? I have been proven wrong. Massaging kale is absolutely the best thing you can do it, and wow it makes a fantastically awesome salad – breaking down the kale, giving it a softness, infusing whatever flavors you give to the dressing that massages…

It is messy, but absolutely worth that mess.

So I’m thinking massaging and chiffonading is just the perfect thing for a salad.

citrus kale salad

grapefruit kale chiffonade salad

soy, dairy, gluten free, vegan

serves 4-6

4-5 large bunches kale, stems/ribs removed
1 grapefruit, peeled
1/2 cup candied hazelnuts, choppedย

Chiffonade kale (roll up and slice thin). Place in large bowl and massage with dressing (recipe below). Peel grapefruit and remove pith. Divide each segment into 2-3 pieces each, add to kale. Top kale and grapefruit with chopped hazelnuts, serve immediately.

maple grapefruit dressing

soy, dairy, gluten free, vegan

juice of 1 grapefruit
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon tahini
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
pinch sea saltย

Using a whisk or blender, combine all ingredients.ย

grapefruit kale chiffonade salad

I am already thinking of the next time I can make this salad. Preferably when I am having at least a few people over, so I can double the recipe and make a lot.

Yum.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 28, 2012 at 5:11 am

Love the idea of chiffonade to get smaller kale bites. This is going to sound crazy b/ had an incident with grapefruit in the 2nd grade and haven’t eaten it since. How well do you think oranges might work?

2 spabettie June 28, 2012 at 7:16 am

I love the chiffonade! I’m sure oranges would work fine with this… a grapefruit incident, huh? ๐Ÿ˜‰

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 28, 2012 at 6:04 am

Truth, I have never massaged my kale. Now I really feel like I need to! Also, I’m not a fan of fruit on my salads, but grapefruit and kale really does seem right. The bitterness of the kale with the sour, yet slightly sweet grapefruit…yeah, I bit this is amazing! Definitely making this one!

4 spabettie June 28, 2012 at 7:15 am

I cannot believe all this time I gave the kale massage an eye roll – really. It’s awesome. Try the grapefruit, let me know what you think! :)

5 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 28, 2012 at 7:12 am

what a beautiful salad! i love the color! so pretty:)

6 Nichole June 28, 2012 at 7:35 am

At first I thought that was salmon, but what a beautiful salad with tons of color!

Very refreshing!

7 spabettie June 29, 2012 at 11:36 am

salmon would work here, absolutely! ๐Ÿ˜‰

8 Heather @ Better With Veggies June 28, 2012 at 8:33 am

You must have been rolling your eyes when you heard me oohing & ahhhing over kale in the past – I LOVE massaged kale. It’s heaven. And you can lick your fingers after you’re done massaging, not that I’ve ever done that (of course). ๐Ÿ˜‰

9 spabettie June 29, 2012 at 11:34 am

haa, I haven’t given you an eye roll, not once! I love Love LOVE kale and make salads with it all the time, I just really didn’t think massaging actually did anything? I’m making up for it now, for sure!

…I wouldn’t know anything about that licking fingers either. not at all.

10 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 28, 2012 at 8:54 am

Mm nothing like getting a little dirty in the kitchen in preparation of enjoying a nice, bright salad! I dig it.

11 spabettie June 29, 2012 at 11:31 am

the kale covered hands are absolutely worth this payoff…

12 Ali @ Around the VeggieTable June 28, 2012 at 11:17 am

This salad looks so beautiful!! I can’t wait to try it :)

13 spabettie June 29, 2012 at 11:30 am

thank you, Ali! I could eat this one every day – hope you enjoy!

14 Lisa June 28, 2012 at 11:23 am

Keeping this one! I love grapefruit and we have tons of kale in our garden.

15 spabettie June 29, 2012 at 11:29 am

I love grapefruit too – have always loved it on salads!

16 Eileen June 28, 2012 at 11:52 am

Ok, chiffonaded kale is a great idea! How have I never done this before? Plus this salad sounds like it would provide the perfect hit of fresh veg taste in winter, when citrus and kale are at their peaks. Love it!

17 spabettie June 29, 2012 at 11:28 am

I eat a lot of salads in the warm summer months, I just crave them all the time, but yes, this would be great in the winter time as well – a bright freshness among cold temps and comfort foods!

and chiffonading kale – please try it! ๐Ÿ˜€

18 Geanna June 28, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Nicely done! I’ve done my fair share of massaging kale (I love how dirty that sounds), but have to chiffonade it. Now I think I might have to, because you have really sold it. And seriously – I love the citrus/greens combo. That looks so refreshing, especially with such warm weather we’re *supposed* to be having!

19 spabettie June 29, 2012 at 11:24 am

haaa – dirty. I just never really put two and two together, in how massaging makes the kale so yummy good. you should try the chiffonade as well – massage and chiffonade just GO together! ๐Ÿ˜€ you just wait, that sun is going to return!

20 kristy @ gastronomical sovereignty July 6, 2012 at 10:02 am

i don’t just dole out massages unless i have a promise of getting one in return… somehow, i think that may be difficult in this case ๐Ÿ˜‰

thank you for sharing with Fresh Foods Wednesday โ€“ hope to see you back next week!

21 It's Carmen July 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Wow, looks divine. Grapefruit would be smashing in a salad!

โ™ฅ It’s Carmen

22 Gabby @ the veggie nook August 3, 2012 at 4:53 pm

This is gorgeous! So light and refreshing!

Thanks for submitting to HVF :)

23 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

thank you, Gabby!

24 Kirsten December 1, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Kristina,
Thanks for giving me the link to include in my upcoming Band Fruit Fundraiser Recipe Round Up! It will be published on 12/4/2013!

25 Arman @ thebigmansworld March 3, 2015 at 11:29 pm

For the longest time, I HATED kale because 1. It cost $8.95 a bunch here. 2. I never massaged it before eating it. 3. I made kale chips and overcooked them and they disintegrated in my hands. Now that I learnt key kale lessons, I’m a huge fan. Chiffonade? So fancy.

26 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2015 at 10:50 am

chiffonade IS fancy, but that’s not why I do it (I know, surprised?). you should try the chiffonade on kale sometime – like, soon – it helps to break down / soften the kale that much more, and also makes it EASIER TO EAT. ha. because that’s what we need…

happy to hear you have come over to the Kale Side. *flashes Kale Gang Sign*

27 pam (Sidewalk Shoes) March 4, 2015 at 4:32 am

I’ve never heard of massaging kale!

28 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2015 at 10:47 am

massaging softens the kale, Pam – especially if you have some sort of acid, like citrus. :)

29 Christine from Cook the Story March 4, 2015 at 5:13 am

The candied walnuts in this salad sound like a great addition.

30 Barbara @ Spirited Cook March 4, 2015 at 6:44 am

Massaging kale makes all the difference! Love the dressing!

31 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2015 at 10:46 am

it really does make the difference, Barbara – transforms the kale!

32 Brandy M March 4, 2015 at 9:36 am

This looks like a light refreshing salad. I have a grapefruit tree out back! I think this could be my lunch today!

33 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2015 at 10:44 am

oooh Brandy am I ever envious of your tree! we have a cherry tree that I love, but I have always wanted a citrus tree… I hope this IS your lunch today – enjoy!

34 Karen March 4, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Chiffonade! Fancy! Beautiful salad too =)

35 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine March 4, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Such a glorious fresh salad! I don’t eat grapefruit enough!

36 Lauren @ Wicked Spatula March 4, 2015 at 5:08 pm

This looks fab! I’ve been addicted to citrus lately so this is perfect.

37 Kristina Sloggett March 5, 2015 at 8:16 am

thanks Lauren – and yes, me too – I think it was all the blood oranges I consumed, I cannot get enough bright citrus flavor lately!

38 Martha @ A Family Feast March 4, 2015 at 6:05 pm

What a gorgeous salad – and I love the way you’ve combined the grapefruit and kale! A wonderful healthy dish!

39 Kristina Sloggett March 5, 2015 at 8:15 am

thank you Martha! I love this one, and it brings a bright freshness in winter, right about now when I am craving spring and summer!