tomato orange soup

in Dinner, Gluten Free, Portland, recipes, restaurants, Vegan

Right in the middle of my spa career, I took a break to pursue another love – food. I was the store director with a high end European deli here in Portland, one of my favorite jobs to date. I started at one location in the heart of downtown (I love working downtown!), and while running that store I planned the build and opening of a new location in Lake Oswego.

While I thrive on the fun that goes into the execution of a new business and the grand opening events, my favorite aspect of this job was the food. At the new location, we built a bakery where we made fresh pastries, breads and bagels each morning. I took a series of classes in Baking and Pastry in preparation, and while I could not have early morning hours all the time, I loved arriving at 4am to make muffins, bagels, bake off croissants proofing over night… it was bliss.

Having been a customer for many years, I was thrilled to be a part of the executive staff (although looking back now, I would have been just as happy running the bakery). This deli boasts an excellent reputation for having great food. Their menu has both permanent items and seasonal choices on rotation.

Their soups are legendary.

As soon as cold weather chill hits Portland, lines snake out their doors at lunch time – everyone wanting a warm up of the famous soup. One of their classic soups on the permanent menu is Tomato Orange. As far as I know, the recipe has never been published. Even working there with access to recipes, I never saw the Tomato Orange.

My memory serves as inspiration, and this is my version of that deli classic.

It is my favorite.

tomato orange soup

dairy, soy, gluten free, vegan

1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter, divided (Earth Balance)
10 roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon flour (gluten free ap)
1 cup almond milk
sea salt, to taste

Sauté onion and garlic in one tablespoon butter. Transfer to high speed blender with tomatoes, orange juice concentrate and vegetable broth Рpuree until smooth.

In large saucepan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons earth balance. Add flour, stir until golden brown and blended. Add almond milk, stir until creamy. Add to tomato mixture in blender, continue to blend, add salt as needed. Transfer back to saucepan to heat through (or heat in high powered blender).

Garnish with sliced or cubed tomato, dried basil and oregano. Serve over rice or quinoa, with grilled cheese, crackers or stuffed waffles.

Those cheesy tomato stuffed waffles can be found here.

1 Nichole May 30, 2012 at 5:14 am

Don’t leave me with a waffle teaser!! Oy!!

2 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:24 am

they are on their way… ;)

3 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 30, 2012 at 7:07 am

Stuffed waffles? Yum!
You have such an interesting life story, Kristina! Too cool that you got to manage the opening of another store, they are some exciting times! I did that while I was managing quality control at Tony Roma’s (a rib place in Canada). It was really fun to get to train up new staff, live in Banff for awhile, and get to make changes to the business as we went!

4 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:23 am

thanks, Leanne! I have had some fun in my time – some pretty great openings of both food and spa! It is exciting indeed! I love staff development, too – sounds like you have had some big fun responsibility too!

5 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 30, 2012 at 7:11 am

what a gorgeous bowl of soup! that color!!! and the flavor combination sounds so interesting! thanks for sharing!

6 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:21 am

you are welcome, Caralyn! it has always been one of my favorites, glad I could share my version of it! :)

7 Gabrielle May 30, 2012 at 7:17 am

This looks really yummy but it’s not Vegan if there is butter… please do not give people the wrong information vegan means no animal product whatsoever. I have put in coconut oil instead and its really good. Thank you

8 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:20 am

Gabrielle,

if you read the recipe, I state that I specifically use Earth Balance (as I state in all recipes). I simply call it butter.

Thanks.

9 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 30, 2012 at 8:51 am

Wow! This looks and sounds amazing! I have to say, you are a complete and total enigma to me and I love it! Reading about your life is like reading a novel for me…I can’t wait for the next page!

I hope you’re doing well. I miss you! I hope the new house is treating your family well! xoxo

10 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 9:18 am

aw, that is the sweetest thing I’ve heard in a while! :D I’ve definitely had some fun projects, for sure. I miss you too, my friend!! hope things are good with all of you – enjoying the start of summer with your boys and feeling awesome! XXO

11 Averie @ Averie Cooks May 30, 2012 at 9:07 am

Oh that’s a fun soup…tomatoes and oranges in soup! DELISH! Now about those waffles… mmmm! :)

12 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 9:16 am

yep – the waffles are a FUN one… coming soon!

13 Rachel H. May 30, 2012 at 9:12 am

Earth Balance is my favorite butter also. I prefer the taste of the whipped. Which do you like best?

14 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 9:16 am

I love Earth Balance! I generally use the Soy Free, unless I specifically want a stick of butter, then I buy the regular EB, as soy free does not (yet??) come in stick form… and Rachel now you have me intrigued, I don’t know if I’ve tried the whipped?? I may have to now! :)

15 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca May 30, 2012 at 9:31 am

mmmmmmmmm the soup looks & sounds incredible…and then you leave a stuffed waffle teaser!! :O :O I might need to go buy a waffle maker before that post is up!

16 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

do it Do It DO IT! :D

17 jobo May 30, 2012 at 9:51 am

I LOVED reading a little history on your life and how you got so into food and cooking. This soup looks delicious!!

18 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:30 am

thanks – it is a fun one to tell, I look back on that time fondly!

19 Eileen May 30, 2012 at 11:17 am

Ooh, I recognize this, and I haven’t even been to said deli, nor do I live anywhere near Portland! How did I recognize it? Because this soup is JUST THAT FAMOUS. I’ve had a version of it in my recipe binder for a good eight years. Super excited to try out your version!

20 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 11:48 am

haa – I love that you know of it, Eileen! yes, they are well known for their soups, among other things. do you also know of the Mama Leone’s soup, then? that one has been published, in our local newspaper anyway. My mom makes that one often.

21 Eileen May 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I did not know of Mama Leone’s soup–but now, through the magic of Google, I have the recipe! MUAHAHA etc. Thanks!

22 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:28 am

MUAAA AAH AAH, I love that you laugh like that too. You should try the Mama Leone’s – the flavor is amazing!

23 Sophie May 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Stuffed waffles?! Cant wait for that…just need to get a waffle maker since mine broke haha

I nominated you for a food blogger award :) (http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/).

24 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:25 am

thank you so much, Sophie! everyone is enjoying this story today! :)

25 STUFT Mama May 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Well, well, well, you are just amazing. Every time I visit your blog I’m drooling (like A LOT). :) Love it. Waffle tease. :)

26 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:24 am

thank you, dear! I miss you so much! XXO

27 Cara May 30, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I knew exactly from where your inspiration came as soon as I saw the post title :) I visited Portland last summer and did a culinary walking tour, and one of the stops was this deli! I guess the soup is that famous! We were given tastes of the soup without being told the “secret ingredient” and after rattling off every single other fruit I could think of, I guessed correctly :) It truly is a great soup!

28 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:24 am

yes – I love that you know it and like it! fun deli, right? they have some amazing food. of course they are on the tour, was VooDoo Doughnuts also visited? :D

29 Cara May 31, 2012 at 10:28 am

Not on the tour, but we made sure to go there on our own time :)

30 Richa@HobbyandMore May 30, 2012 at 11:35 pm

love that gorgeous color of the soup.. those waffles have me intrigued!

31 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:23 am

this soup is always so bright – healthy looking, right?

32 shawn @ I Wash...You Dry May 31, 2012 at 6:24 am

E-gats! Stuffed waffles? Such a tease! This soup looks tasty!

33 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:22 am

I know, sorry about that ;) they’re coming soon, you won’t BELIEVE how easy they are. and how awesome. ha!

34 Kristi Rimkus May 31, 2012 at 6:29 am

Fantastic combination of ingredients. I would never have thought to pair orange juice with a tomato soup!

35 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:21 am

hi Kristi – I remember the first time I heard of this too, different and unique and I couldn’t wait to try it!

36 dorry May 31, 2012 at 6:42 pm

a beautiful soup! even though it’s warming up here, I’ve been eating some delicious soups lately. at my new office, they have chefs who prepare us lunch and afternoon snack on a daily basis (feeling spoiled for sure!) and they make some delicious soups. lentil is one of my all-time favorites, and they’ve been adding some cold soups into the mix as well. love posts like this where we get to learn more about you and your life experiences! xo

37 Cara May 31, 2012 at 8:28 pm

YOU TEASE! You just threw a waffle in my face and are making me wait??? Blarg. Well, until then, I am totally digging this soup combo, girl! I would have never thought to have used orange to flavor a soup. Genius!

38 Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I loved to read a little more about your past, working experiences, and your passions! And this soup looks – just wow! *Absolutely* my kind of soup! :D :D Already shared it on Facebook (tee-hee). I’ll definitely make this! :D

39 spabettie June 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

I know you will like this one, Kath! very comforting, too – make it soon! :)

40 Lynn August 12, 2012 at 10:09 pm

this sounds unusual but good!

41 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 9:16 am

hi Lynn! it is a bit different, but very good!

42 kirsten October 31, 2013 at 11:57 am

How many servings does this recipe make? I also love this tomato soup and can’t wait to make it!

43 Kristina Sloggett October 31, 2013 at 12:56 pm

hi Kirsten! if serving with a sandwich (or one of these stuffed waffles), I’d say this serves four; by itself for entree size two or three. enjoy!