pomegranate cranberry hearts

Today I bring you yet another Valentines treat (I think I declared it Valentines Week?). As rich and flavorful as this recipe is, it is also very easy, and no bake.

Even if you do not make the bars heart shaped, it is already appropriately colored for Valentines. Naturally and vibrantly colored.

If you do make heart shapes? You get many little scraps to snack on. This is another positive in my book.

pomegranate cranberry bars

sesame cashew crust:
Β

2 cups raw cashews
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Pulse cashews and sesame seeds in food processor; add coconut oil and blend until dough forms. Line 9X9 square baking dish with parchment, spread crust in even layer.

pomegranate cranberry filling:
Β

6 oz (1 bag) dried cranberries
1/4 cup pomegranate arils
zest and juice of 1 lime
1/3 block tempeh (7 ounce package)
1 tablespoon agave

Pulse cranberries, pomegranate, lime juice + zest, and tempeh, add agave. Spread filling in even layer atop crust.

Refrigerate 1 hour before cutting in squares. Makes 9-16 squares, depending on serving size.

Are you baking, cooking or crafting anything for Valentines? Please share links, I would love to see!

Speaking of creative Valentines crafts, I am spending Friday night making these. I have friends, family and a bunch of ICU nurses to give Valentines to.

Comments

That Valentine’s craft is so cute! I should make one for my husband…
    I love your recipe- especially since it uses tempeh! When I first saw the photo with the cut-outs I thought “I hope she didn’t throw those scraps away!” Yes- I’d be happy to snack on those all day long. :)

yeah, perhaps you should make extra crust… πŸ˜‰ this stuff is SO good. tempeh is really cool in desserts, adds nutrients but you really can’t taste it!

These are super cute! I thought that was a shortbread crust at first, but love the idea of cashew-sesame crust with coconut oil. I made Shiner Bock cupcakes with peanut butter cream cheese frosting and peanut butter m&ms.. you know, nothin’ special πŸ˜‰

Is it just me.. or there has been a creative innovative creations overload coz 1 its vday, 2 the bake off!:) i cant imagine how the judges are going to decide:)
    i am intrigued by the tempeh cranberry topping.. another use of tempeh!

yes, it’s a unique one but tasty! :) and I KNOW, I don’t envy those judges (well, maybe I do just a little…) they are all baking up a storm this weekend, I’m sure!

These look awesome! So pretty, so delicious, and I love the ingredients! Interesting use of tempeh too as I don’t think I’ve seen it used like this before. Quick question: do you cook your tempeh before using it or use it straight out of the container?

THESE LOOK SO GOOD! I love cashews as a base! These remind me of my favorite bar that used to be on the market…it was a cranberry, pom, nut bar and it was FABULOUS! But it was discontinued sadly… :( Now I can make my own though! WIN!

now this – THIS is my kind of treat. as a kid, I didn’t like chocolate – not even a bit, so I always went for the fruity dessert and loved Pepperidge Farm Verona cookies. These remind me of a completely awesome remake of those!

7. Kris @krazy_kris says

Oh my! No bake? I still don’t have a stove! This just might be the recipe that I pulse cashews! Hmmmm … Note to self: determine how much 6 oz is and pulse cashews!

you cannot taste it at all! just there for texture and goodness! :) I have always used dried fruits so far, and very flavorful ones (like cranberries, apricots, pineapple + ginger) so the taste of the tempeh is not there! no real texture either, it gets ground up.

8. Kris says

I’m back! Just double checking…. Geesh! I still need coconut oil and sesame seed…

Sooooooo close!

Did you really make those valentines? You are amazing…. Xoxo

What cute treats for Valentine’s Day. So interesting, the use of tempeh in the filling – I’ve never thought of it as a sweet, but such a smart idea since it’s so nutrient dense.

10. Nina says

Hi there,
    I ‘refound’ your blog this week after seeing (and buying) a glass shots mould and remembering your pink chocolate glass delight, but that’s another story. :)
    What size block of tempeh did you use a third of? I’m in Australia and packaged goods don’t necessarily come in a ‘standard’ size.
    Keen to make these as they look soo luscious and sound pretty healthful.
    Thanking you in advance,
    Nina

hi Nina! so happy you found me from those shot glasses – I’d love to hear more about what you do with yours! they are so fun.

the tempeh I used was from a 7 ounce package. this is one of my favorite recipes (I’ve also made it with dried apricot which is GOOD), so I hope you like it! cheers, Kristina

• Nina says

Hi Kristina,
        Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. 65 grams of Tempeh, sorted!
        I can’t wait to receive my shot glass mould. I’ll be sure to update you of developments. :)
        Dried apricots sound lovely. I’ve added that too my recipe printout as an option. Did you use them instead of cranberries?
        Thanks again,
        Nina

hi Nina! you are so welcome – I hope you love these bars as much as we do… yes, you can simply replace the cranberry with pretty much any other dried fruit – apricot is my favorite, I have also made some with figs, yum!

What a great recipe and so healthy, I will try and make these myself, never would have tought of tempeh but the best thing for me was the crust so easy and healthy

12. Jane Baker says

I have prepared these now twice for my ladies group, they are a favorite. did not tell them they were healthy, we will keep that our secret! thank you Miss Bettie

oh, Jane, I am so happy you and your group like these! they are very easy to use other flavors, too – just swap the dried fruit for another – I have made apricot, fig, even pineapple!

13. Joy says

unusual ingredient but did not hinder my interest and I am very glad for that, this bar is tasty. thankyou!

14. Christine says

Hi there – had this saved since last V-day and this year I really want to try making them, but I’m having a heck of a time finding pomegranate this time of year. Any suggestions for a substitute to go with the dried cranberries?

• Kristina Sloggett says

A second dried fruit would work well here, maybe an apricot, a fig or date, or something else you like? enjoy!

• Kristina Sloggett says

it works, yes! these are one of my favorites that I make often – I’ll have to make some and stop by your “coffee shop” soon! XXO

No bake for the win! I’d cut out hearts but mainly so I’d have a lot of scraps to snack on. Surprised me to see tempeh; I’ve only had it in savory things. Coincidentally, just sautΓ©ed up some for tacos tonight.

• Kristina Sloggett says

yes, the scraps are KEY, Jameson – I like that you noticed that part πŸ˜‰ the tempeh was a gamble, for sure, and I still get some side eyes for it, but it really works! cheers!

I have a bunch of frozen cranberries lying around. Do you think I could make the top sort of a jam? Or do you think I need to stick with the dried? This looks great.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I have not tried that, BB, but I am pretty sure it would work (the crust is sturdy enough, and probably wouldn’t get ‘soggy’. there may need to be an adjustment of sweetener – I’d taste and adjust? that sounds fantastic – let me know how it goes?

Trackbacks