Apple Peanut Butter Dog Treats

Apple Peanut Butter Dog Treats

Apple Peanut Butter Dog Treats – simple and tasty treats for your pup! four whole food ingredients become a crunchy bite your dogs are sure to be wag for!

_____________________________________________________

I shared with you some of the benefits of our juice fast, but we are not the only ones who benefit from our juicing. Basil is enjoying it too.

I have used juicing pulp in baking breads and muffins before. Now while we are fasting, Basil is enjoying homemade treats made from juice pulp! I have made a few flavors, and while Basil is not partial, I think these are his favorite.

Who doesn’t like apples and peanut butter? Classic.

If you aren’t a juicer, you can use chopped or shredded apples, maybe reducing to 3/4 cup.

Granny Smith Apples

apple & peanut butter dog treats

1 cup apple pulp or shredded apple (I juiced 3 apples)
1/2 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup brown rice flour (plus additional for kneading, rolling)
1 flax or chia egg

Core and juice 3 apples, reserving pulp. Combine apple pulp and peanut butter, then add egg and flour.

Knead into a ball and roll to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter or knife. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool completely, store in an airtight container.

Apple Peanut Butter Dog Treats

Basil loves these! They are soft out of the oven and as they cool they become crisper but not too crunchy. Cooking for another 5-7 minutes makes them crunchy (this is what I did with a carrot batch).

These are so quick and easy to make, I like the short healthy ingredient list for Basil, and I’m using most of the pulp when we juice, which makes me happy too.

Apple Peanut Butter Dog Treats

Β Basil says Happy Tuesday – *wag wag wag*

Comments

And did you try one also? I wonder if they’d taste any good with human taste buds. I do not like overly sweet things, so I could see myself munching on these too haha! I’ve accidently eaten dog treats before a few times, but I’m sure they were not made with fresh juice pulp and peanut butter based on the way they tasted!

hee – YES I did taste one, and they are GOOD. if you don’t like really sweet things you would LOVE these, and there’s no reason why you couldn’t eat them! πŸ˜‰ the sweet from the apple is good, and who doesn’t like peanut butter!? πŸ˜€

great, Holly! I hope they make them, Basil loves them and they smell awesome. (taste really good too, shhh!) πŸ˜‰

um, YEAH. I don’t even need the stevia, they’re pretty tasty!! πŸ˜€ I thought about adding agave – I’m making another batch today, perhaps I will. treat for me, treat for pup, treat for ME, treat for pup! πŸ˜‰

haa, Allie, each time I give him one I smell it… mmm, peanut butter! they are actually very good! πŸ˜‰

This is going on my must-make list! I love the heart shapes as well-I wonder if they have a doxie cookie cutter. Hmmm…..that would be like cannablism for Basil though, eh? :( I meant well with that thought!!

What a great idea! We just started juicing last month and throwing the pulp away has kind of been bugging me. I bet Kenny and Ginger would chow down on these adorable treats!

also, did we already talk about this – have you tried rejuicing the pulp? some of the wetter stuff (carrots, cucumber…) can actually get a lot of juice on a second and even THIRD time through… just kind of messy. πŸ˜€

4. Alexis says

Wow, I have never known another “Basil” dog before! Although my dogs name is spelled “Bayzill”.

I’ll have to try these for her!

With a little sweetener these are MINE all MINE! We tasted some doggie biscuits at a dog’s birthday party (well duh doesn’t everyone go to those?) and they were yummy but not sweet obviously! And I love that you are a waste-not-want-not family. <3

I have always wanted to go to (or have!) a dog birthday party. these would be a hit! :) they are pretty tasty as is, the peanut butter is good! the using instead of wasting makes me VERY happy! :)

his Mama is happy to do it! I like to feed him GOOD food. (and I have to taste test, you know… they’re pretty tasty!) :)

Love it!!! I have always wanted to make dog treats, the funny thing is though I do not even have a dog haha I do plan on getting one here soon, well hopefully :)

Now I have a recipe to make when I do finally get one!
    xoxo
    ~Lori

hi Kel – am I understanding correctly, that your dog’s name is awesome?? πŸ˜€ I LOVE THAT! glad awesome likes them! πŸ˜‰

7. Gigi Guthrie says

I made these today, and my animals went CRAZY for them! Our doxie, Bella, in particular!

Instead of juicing (I do not have a juicer), I cored and cut a Red Delicious apple, then ran it through my food processor. So rather then a saucey texture, they have a chunkier texture. The dough came out a little gooey, so I added 3 tablespoons of extra flour.

My husband came in and said, “Wow! Cookies?” So, I slipped him one, THEN told him what they are for!! Ha!

This is def going in my Dog Treat recipe box! Thank you for sharing!

8. Tina says

Your Basil looks JUST like my Chile. She will be turning 9 years old this Wednesday so I’m going to try making these treats for her and her friends! She’s been on crate rest for the last week for a sprained back so maybe these will help cheer her up :)

oh, sweet Chile! sorry she’s hurt, hope she is feeling better asap! and Happy Birthday, little pup! I hope she loves these – Basil sure does!

• TINA says

Chile absolutely loved them and so did her friends! We got a juicer from my parents for Christmas so I came back to the recipe because I remembered you used the apple pulp from your juicer ( last time I used unsweetened organic apple sauce instead). Looking forward to trying it out with the pulp and my husband will feel much better about making apple juice since we won’t be wasting the pulp :)

hi Donna, absolutely! sorry about that – in this recipe you could use an egg, or an egg substitute like chia or flax seed. the ‘prepared’ refers to chia or flax, which is one tablespoon chia/flax mixed with 3 tablespoons water. if using a real egg, no prep needed. hope that helps, hope your pup enjoys these!

9. Lia says

These treats sound great. I cant wait to make them for my pug. I want to make sure she stays within the proper weight and the store bought treats are horrible for that. I started making my own treats for her. I was wondering about how long do you think these will keep for? Can they be frozen? Thanks.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Lia! I have not tried freezing them, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t be okay? With two dogs, my homemade batches of treats can last about a week around here! I keep them in a ziplock baggie or covered container, baked at room temp and unbaked in fridge. I hope your pug loves them!

Hi! I just found this wonderful dog treat recipe on Pinterest, and I’ll be re-pinning it! I love that these are healthy, and without wheat, since I don’t think dogs are meant to eat that.

I do have a question about the apple pulp: do you take the seeds out before juicing, or are they included in the pulp and dog treats? I’ve read that apple seeds contain some arsenic, and I’m wondering if this could pose a health risk to the dogs if three apple’s worth of seeds are included. (There was a doctor that called the arsenic from fruit seeds “laetrile” or B-17, and claimed it cured cancer, but the mainstream medical community disagrees.) I’d love to hear your thoughts on this!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Christina!

I definitely core the apples and remove seeds if I will be using the pulp – I have heard the same thing, that they can be toxic. I have NOT heard that the toxins could cure anything – I think I will keep removing them prior to juicing!

hope the pup you make these for loves them! :)

Kristina

• says

Thanks for your response! We have three big doggies who love treats, and we just got a juicer for Christmas, so I can’t wait to try this out! I love the idea of giving them the benefits of the pulp!

Trackbacks