Cinnamon Chocolate Almond Truffles

in Dessert, Gluten Free, Meatless Monday, Portland, recipes, Vegan

Cinnamon Chocolate Almond Truffles

If someone had told Little Kid Kristina that one day, she would be excited about an invite to a grocery store media event? Little Kid Kristina might have eye rolled and side eyed and laughed… in confusion.

As it is, I am (very likely overly) excited that I now have a Whole Foods Market within one mile of my neighborhood, rather than 8 or 11, the distance of the Whole Foods stores I currently frequent. Whole Foods Greenway is opening this Wednesday May 21, and I was invited to a pre-opening sneak peek.

Why do I like Whole Foods Market? Let me count the ways:

• GMO transparency. Whole Foods sells more non GMO product (over 6000 items) than any other store in North America. Their own product line (365 Everyday Value) is GMO free certified (the plant based items). They continue to work with suppliers toward GMO labeling, and are committed to having all products labeled by 2018.
  • Community. Whole Foods partners with and supports community projects. As part of the grand opening of this store, they are donating pallets of food to Good Neighbor Center, and the delicious local Unbound Pickling is receiving the Local Producer Loan.
  • Support Local. More on the Local Producer Loan – Whole Foods Markets have been providing low-interest loans to small producers in their regions (more than 12 million dollars).
  • Growler Station.   yes indeed.

Okay, the growler station is awesome (especially if they include kombucha!), but the rest of the list are the actual reasons I love Whole Foods.

Supporting local is one of the biggies for me, really. Some of my favorites will be at Greenway, including my friends at Oregon Olive Mill, my other friend Julie and her fabulous baking mixes, Unbound Pickling, Heidi Ho Veganics, and Reverend Nat’s Hard Cider, to name just a few of the over 500 local vendors.

Their local focus includes schools – there is a great art installation on the wall of the store, outside by the front entrance. It is a large metal tree covered with birds painted by students from Mary Woodward Elementary – a sweet smile when you walk through the doors. Mary Woodward Elementary is also receiving the Whole Foods Kids School Garden Grant. You know I love my garden, and completely support getting kids into gardens. When they get to build and grow those gardens themselves? All kinds of awesome.

The Greenway store boasts over 300 bulk items, including Grind Your Own Nut Butters. 350 linear feet of beer. Yep. A full case of hard cider, with several of my local favorites. The prepared foods section includes a coffee, juice and smoothie bar where you’ll be able to find me every day at 7 am. There is a pizza oven, a taqueria, and a sandwich bar in addition to their hugely popular hot bar and fresh salad bar.

A nod to our very own Bull Mountain, in the prepared foods area:

Bull Mountain Tigard

You can also find me in their outdoor seating area complete with fire pit, heat lamps and a covered area – so us Portlanders can enjoy it year round. The indoor and outdoor seating accommodates approximately 80 people, and was designed as a gathering place for the community.

To cap off our tour, we were given Whole Foods shopping totes filled with swag – including chocolate bars. I used these Tanzania Schoolhouse Project organic dark chocolate bars to make truffles. Mmm:

Chocolate Almond Truffles

cinnamon chocolate almond truffles

YIELD: 25-30 truffles

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

2 bars (7 ounces) Dark Chocolate Almond bar
1/2 cup coconut milk (canned)*
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder (for rolling)

INSTRUCTIONS:

*Without shaking, open can of coconut milk, spoon out 1/2 cup of the thick portion at top of can for this recipe.

Chop chocolate.

In saucepan, bring coconut milk and cinnamon to a boil, reduce to simmer and stir continually for several minutes. Remove from heat, add chopped chocolate, whisk until smooth. Remove from heat, cool. Cover and transfer to refrigerator to set (1 – 2 hours).

Sift cocoa powder into a bowl. Using a teaspoon, scoop chocolate and roll into small ball. Roll through cocoa to coat, set on a baking sheet with parchment. Repeat with remaining chocolate, place in refrigerator to set (1 hour). Store in airtight container up to a week, or freeze to enjoy later.

alternative to rolling truffles in cocoa powder – melt more chocolate (about 3 ounces) and coat them…

Vegan Chocolate Almond Truffles

hello locals – Whole Foods Greenway opens this Wednesday, May 21, at 9 am. There is a breaking bread ceremony at 8:30 am. The mayor of Tigard, along with Portland area Whole Foods team leaders, local suppliers and members of the community will help kick off the grand opening festivities. Gift cards will be given to early guests on opening day, and all 365 product will be 25% off all of Wednesday and Thursday, May 21st and 22nd.

Come find me in the juice bar?

To see more photos and information, read posts from fellow Portland bloggers Bakery Bingo and Urban Bliss Life, and follow spabettie on Instagram.

Whole Foods Greenway

12220 SW Scholls Ferry Road, Tigard, OR 97223 – Greenway Town Center

Open every day from 7 am to 10 pm

website

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

The Meatless Monday ingredient this week is xocolatl – the Aztec word for chocolate. Yes, I admire the creativity and any reason to create with chocolate. This recipe was submitted to Meatless Mondays A to Z – visit Heather to see what others did with xocolatl.

I also shared this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 19, 2014 at 6:51 am

I understand completely – if my younger self knew that I grocery shop for entertainment, she’d kick me in the balls. Or whatever. LOL!

Whole Foods is like a mecca.

2 Kristina Sloggett May 19, 2014 at 7:37 am

haa HAA Laura – or whatever.

it IS a mecca. and I am SO EXCITED to have one so close in my community, yay!

3 Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner May 19, 2014 at 7:06 am

Creative! Those look really good for dairy free. Nice finding you on #MMAZ

4 Kristina Sloggett May 19, 2014 at 7:36 am

hi Deborah, thanks for visiting! so many people have loved these truffles – dairy free or not – I’m kinda stealth that way :D

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) May 19, 2014 at 7:09 am

Very cool! It’s funny to think about enjoying things we hated as a kid, like a trip to the grocery store of all places!

6 Kristina Sloggett May 19, 2014 at 7:33 am

right? but if I am honest, I think I always enjoyed the grocery store … ;)

7 spabettie mom May 19, 2014 at 10:02 am

Maybe the store, but not pushing the cart! Ha Ha….

8 Kristina Sloggett May 20, 2014 at 3:09 pm

HA! mom!! stop telling everyone my weirdness!

9 Nicole @ Fitful Focus May 19, 2014 at 9:21 am

Love Whole Foods! Pretty sure I could spend hours in there (and spend hundreds if I had it)! And these truffles look delicious.

10 Kristina Sloggett May 20, 2014 at 3:11 pm

thanks Nicole! and yeah – I think I will be spending some time in this new store… ;)

11 Sarah May 19, 2014 at 9:45 am

Yum!
I can relate to your excitment for a closer Whole Foods! I use to drive 20 minutes or more to the closest Whole Foods, depending on which one I went to but the closest was 20 minutes without traffic. Last summer one opened up within 10 minutes and in an area I frequent!! My old issue is I find I live there! I even find myself there day after day, and a few times mulitple times in one day! Enjoy your new Whole Foods, I am hoping to enjoy these truffles soon!

12 Kristina Sloggett May 20, 2014 at 3:10 pm

yes, I have a feeling I’ll be there often, because it is close and it is just so awesome. I hope you do try the truffles – easy and so yum! XO

13 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 19, 2014 at 3:13 pm

The closest Whole Foods we have to us is about 20 minutes away. That’s not too bad, but just far enough away to be inconvenient. Gah, I would love to be able to go over and get a smoothie with you in the mornings. :)

Those truffles sound perfect. Summer is coming up and I’m gonna need to have easy treats on hand for the boys. These would be perfect!

14 Kristina Sloggett May 20, 2014 at 3:08 pm

yep, not too far – but just far enough that it’s not the “just going to hop over to pick up more kale” kinda thing. my trips to Whole Foods were planned around already being downtown, or just a longer drive in the other direction… I am SO EXCITED this one is so close. and I SO WISH we could meet there every morning. <3

yes, these are easy, nice and cool because you keep ‘em in the fridge… perfect for summer and those boys of yours (all three!) will love them! XXO

15 Julie Hasson May 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I am so excited for this store opening too Kristina! I am dying to check out their cider and bulk sections, as well as their growler bar! Now I know where we can meet up for lunch (or coffee) very soon.

Your truffles look incredible! xoxo

16 Kristina Sloggett May 20, 2014 at 3:06 pm

the bulk selection is awesome, Julie, as is the cider. Jason is REALLY looking forward to the Growler bar. YES we need to have that lunch we keep talking about – lets meet at Whole Foods! xxo

17 Geanna M May 19, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Oooh, I think this means we are neighbors, Kristina! That also means we should hang out sometime – maybe at Whole Foods?!? :) I hope you’re doing well!

18 Kristina Sloggett May 20, 2014 at 3:04 pm

we really should, and YES Whole Foods would be great – meet there for breakfast or lunch or juice or … :D

19 lindsay May 20, 2014 at 4:32 am

yay for a new whole foods! shall we come visit again? I’m missing you like crazy! and i need these balls, of course. ;-)

20 Kristina Sloggett May 20, 2014 at 3:03 pm

YESSSSS you should come visit again Linds! I so miss you too! XXO

21 Erin May 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Those truffles look fantastic!! Thank you for the shout out also! It was really great meeting you. Hope to see you again soon!

22 Heather @ Better With Veggies May 20, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I remember when Whole foods first came to East Cobb (when I lived in Georgia). It was quite the event and I felt like I found a grocery store that got me. Lame or not, I really love them for all the reasons you said! I actually asked where one was when we were hunting for houses here in Colorado. I LOVE being 2 miles away – it’s amazing.

And these truffles?! Yes please!!