baby bella, red pepper and arugula sandwich

in Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

We are halfway through week two of the #MushroomMakeover. I am obligated to post one recap per week, but as always, when excited about something, I do more – in addition to the weekly review, I will be sharing some of the recipes I’ve been making recently. My recap posts will be at the end of each week, on Fridays or Saturdays.

This sandwich was especially good, and I am really liking arugula lately also. Such a unique flavor, and it goes well with the crispy sauteed mushrooms and the sweet and mildly spicy red peppers. The garlicy bean spread provides some extra oomph and flavor – this would be great as a bowl, as well – over quinoa or salad.

A couple of years ago, via The Chew, Mario Batali  taught us that when sauteing a pan of mushrooms, just chill out and Do Not Touch Them too much. If you turn them too soon, they dehydrate and poach. If you leave them alone, they brown and crisp.

I did exactly this, and it was decadent.

See the golden brown on one side (just after finally turning them)? Crispy goodness.

I made them the star of my lunch yesterday.

baby bella, red pepper and arugula sandwich

YIELD: two sandwiches

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon coconut oil
7-8 baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 gluten free baguette, cut in half and sliced lengthwise
roasted garlic bean spread
2 handfuls arugula leaves
4 pieces roasted red pepper, sliced
4 slices havarti cheese (vegan)

INSTRUCTIONS:

In large saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil and add mushroom slices. Do not turn mushrooms, allow to brown for several minutes, until crispy crunchy browned.

While mushrooms are browning, prepare sandwich: spread generous layer of roasted garlic bean spread over both sides bread, top with arugula leaves. Place cheese slices over arugula, top with layer of warm mushrooms to melt cheese. Follow with roasted red pepper slices and remaining mushrooms, if any.

These flavors are great together – and my new Mario technique of crisping the ‘shrooms is a good one, indeed. Serve with a salad of peppery arugula, you have a spicy flavorful lunch – enjoy!

Do you have a favorite mushroom?

Anything you’d like me to create during this Mushroom Makeover challenge?

SPABETTIE IS A FINANCIALLY COMPENSATED BLOGGER AMBASSADOR FOR THE MUSHROOM COUNCIL, AND IS PARTICIPATING IN THE #MUSHROOMMAKEOVER 30 DAY WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE. THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE THOSE OF SPABETTIE AND ARE NOT INDICATIVE OF THE OPINIONS OR POSITIONS OF THE MUSHROOM COUNCIL OR MAMAVATION.

1 Abby March 19, 2014 at 5:13 am

I love mushrooms and have to say sauteed portobellos in a big grain and bean bowl or warm salad are my favorite. I also like to use red wine vinegar and olive oil in the pan with them for a change as well. Needless to say, there is fungus among us!

2 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2014 at 6:54 am

oooh, red wine vinegar sounds SO good! especially with a bean bowl… Mmm

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 19, 2014 at 5:16 am

Baby bellas are my favorite! I’ve seriously been loving mushrooms lately! I’ve been eating them nonstop! This looks perfect. Bummer that I’m out of mushrooms. Guess I need to make a run to the store!

4 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2014 at 6:54 am

well SHOOT, you should have been doing this challenge with me! it’s been fun to get creative with the shroom. :)

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 19, 2014 at 5:33 am

Oh man, I am so impatient when it comes to letting the food just sit and cook. Those look worth the wait though. I pretty much love any mushroom. I have no understanding of how people can’t love them! As always, thank you for the beautiful recipes my dear!!

6 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2014 at 6:53 am

you are so very welcome – thank you for visiting and leaving smiles each morning! YES, this method is SO worth it – give it a try! don’t think of it as patience, just give yourself something else to prep while these do their thang!

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 19, 2014 at 5:48 am

I’m terrible about over-touching my shrooms, but I actually did really well this week. Patience is not one of my many talents. ;) My favorite mushroom is shiitake… because they taste a little like bacon. :)

8 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2014 at 6:51 am

oh, do I hear ya on that one – Patience is a favorite song by Guns N Roses (whoa, flashback!), but certainly not something I possess. The result here is worth it, though – give it a try! Shiitakes are one of my favorites too – such great flavor!

9 Nicole March 19, 2014 at 5:49 am

What type of bread did you use? It looks amazing!

10 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2014 at 6:49 am

hi Nicole! this is a baguette from our local gluten free bakery, New Cascadia. They have some pretty good breads, a sourdough that I love!

11 Nicole March 19, 2014 at 7:38 am

Thanks! Hopefully they ship!

12 Kalinda March 19, 2014 at 6:53 am

That sandwich looks so vibrant. I’m wishing I was having that for breakfast instead of my smoothie.

13 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2014 at 6:56 am

thanks, Kalinda! and YES, this would make a great breakfast sandwich!

14 Jolene March 19, 2014 at 6:54 am

YUM! I used to HATE mushrooms and especially baby bella and big portabella mushroom caps. now I ADORE THEM! this looks delish! I was clearly missing out, big time!

15 Eileen March 19, 2014 at 11:02 am

This sandwich sounds like the perfect lunch, especially with all that beautiful spring arugula! I love all the mushrooms–our farmer’s market has a seriously amazing stand with every kind you can imagine–but I usually end up with a bagful of little crimini. So good!

16 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I am LOVING arugula right now! …and cannot wait for our Farmers Market season – one of the big ones just opened! this is so my favorite time of year!

17 Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel March 19, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I’m drooling over this sandwich… I love portobellos on sandwiches, but this spread sounds phenom!

18 natalie@thesweetslife March 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm

YES!! to everything about this!

19 Kristina Sloggett March 24, 2014 at 7:11 pm