Raw Caramel Apple Cobbler

Raw Caramel Apple Cobbler – a delicious and fun dessert that is easy and quick to make! Figs and dates bring natural sweetness and cashews add crunch to this fresh twist on cobbler.

Raw Caramel Apple Cobbler @spabettie

R S T L N E

Do those letters mean anything to you?

My favorite game show is Wheel of Fortune (those are the free letters filled in for the final puzzle). Sitting at home, I’m pretty good at it too. When I was younger, my Hawaii Grandpa insist I’d “seen this episode on the mainland already” when I was visiting Hawaii and would solve the puzzles before him.

Raw Caramel Apple Cobbler @spabettie

Two years ago, the Wheel Mobile was here in Oregon, and I went to audition. On my birthday. Now there may be some skill involved, but the majority of what gets you on the show is personality. I kept this in mind as I filled out my information card at the audition, and under “interests” I wrotegoing to bullfights on acid“. I thought this was clever, and was even more excited when I realized the Wheel Mobile version of “Pat” is a movie quote machine!

So, aside from personality, luck is the other main component of the audition process. You show up, stand in a line that snakes around and around rows and rows, for an hour or more. When it is time for your group to enter the auditorium, you are seated in the audience looking at a stage with a wheel, a letter board, a Pat and a Vanna! Luck is what gets you onstage, because every person in your group is added to a big spinning drum to be picked. Total random lottery. Six people get onstage at one time, and they play a mini game of Wheel. So fun to watch!

Unfortunately I wasn’t even picked to get onstage to play.

Raw Caramel Apple Cobbler @spabettie

Some of you know it’s my birthday later this month. Once again, the Wheel Mobile will be here in Oregon! I am going to audition again, hoping to get picked to be onstage!

Our birthday traditions include a small cake at midnight, small gifts throughout the month, going to dinner at the family’s favorite Mexican restaurant and now – Wheel of Fortune auditions! Hopefully this year the luck will be with me.

Since I’ve already enjoyed plenty of cupcakes, the birthday dessert I’m making this year? My raw apple cobbler – this works at midnight or any time of day. I usually use dates in the filling – I used figs this time and the flavors are great! The buttery cashews with the sweet figs are a perfect pairing with the tart apple and caramel flavors.

Raw Caramel Apple Cobbler

serves two

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

2 apples, sliced horizontally and cored
1/2 cup raw cashews
4-5 dried figs, pitted
4-5 dried dates, pitted
1 tablespoon maple syrup
caramel sauce (recipe below)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Pulse cashews, figs, dates and maple syrup in food processor until a sticky crumble mixture forms. Stack apple with fig cashew mixture between each slice, drizzle with caramel sauce.

Caramel Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons lucuma powder
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon organic apple sauce

INSTRUCTIONS:

Stir until lucuma dissolves. Drizzle over apple cobbler.

Raw Caramel Apple Cobbler @spabettie

What is your favorite game show? Would you ever want to be a contestant?

printable recipes:

Raw Caramel Apple Cobbler
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: two servings

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
Ingredients
  • 2 apples, sliced horizontally and cored
  • ½ cup raw cashews
  • 4-5 dried figs, pitted
  • 4-5 dried dates, pitted
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • caramel sauce (recipe below)
Instructions
  1. Pulse cashews, figs, dates and maple syrup in food processor until a sticky crumble mixture forms.
  2. Stack apple with fig cashew mixture between each slice, drizzle with caramel sauce.

Caramel Sauce
Author:
Recipe type: sauce

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons lucuma powder
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon organic apple sauce
Instructions
  1. Stir until lucuma dissolves. Drizzle over apple cobbler.

Comments

AW! thank you, Courtney – that makes my day! really, thank you! this is a good one – really tasty and fun to assemble!

Jason loves Wheel of Fortune. I think it’s awesome you auditioned – even if you didn’t make it on stage. I guess I don’t really have a fave game show. This dish looks incredible. i still need to find lucuma powder to make a caramel sauce though.

yeah, even though I didn’t get up there (dang!), it was fun to watch. hmm… I always get my lucuma online, but there HAS to be a store that carries it – like a natural grocery or something? I never look for it because I have a HUGE bag.

Good luck – I grew up watching that show and loved it. I also have a board game of it, which is equally fun. I wish you a very happy birthday and hopefully you’ll get to play the mini game!

thank you, my friend! a board game, that would be fun! I really hope I get onstage, I think I could snag myself a spot on the show if I can get up there and be my crazy self! 😀

thank you, Krista! yep – no guilt and really tasty… I always have to make extra filling because I eat it while building these.

I think we are soulmates…and not just because I want that apple cobbler. I LOVE Wheel of Fortune! I can’t believe you tried out. Don’t get it for your computer. ADDICTIVE.

I am so intrigued with the FS&ND plans and the DVD. I’d never even heard of it. Maybe I need to put the French press away and get the juicer out :(

as someone who is a recovered Online Solitaire addict, I appreciate your warning on Online Wheel. although I didn’t know until now that it existed, I hope I can remain strong…

and yep – get that juicer out! 😀 I replied to your mail, let me know if you have other questions!

This is so creative and fun! I’m thinking of doing a little sugar- free challenge soon and this would be an awesome dessert to adapt for that.
    I just got the stay fresh bags in the mail today and put my kale and avocado in them, thanks for hosting that giveaway!

you could most definitely make this sugar free – easy! it’s amazing, I hope you try it! YAY for receiving the bags – I hope they are as awesome for you as they have been for me!

The cobbler looks fantastic — I loved the pictures the first time you posted it and now the pictures look even better! Beautiful.

Good luck with Wheel of Fortune! I’d love to be on that show and I know that if my mom got on she would win tons of $$$ — she always knows the puzzle after 2-3 letters. Seriously!

I don’t always get the puzzles THAT quick, but I’m pretty good, I’d say? 😀 and thank you – I was SO happy to see such an improvement in my photos – I thought the first ones were good too – and now I see in a whole new way! fun to have that comparison.

I LOVE WOF!!!! I used to watch it with my gma who was AMAZING at the game! I also love Jeopardy. Any quiz-type shows. I also loved the Dating Game and any other match-making games. My all time favorite would have to be old school Newlywed Game from the 70’s! I used to have the Game Show Network and I definitely wasted (or enjoyed) hours upon hours of time watching re-runs of so many different game shows! I’d love to be on WOF because they pay out all places and I’m good! Before and After category is mine and Ryan’s favorite!

I LOVE the before and after!! if we’re going Old School, my favorite was Match Game! remember that one? Gene Rayburn, Charles Nelson Reilly – they were a RIOT.

I do love me some Jeopardy. I always feel super smart when I can answer a high dollar figure question. That being said, it’s not often and it’s not for real…so no money or pride lost here!

What an interesting dish…looks absolutely gorgeous.

ha – I know, I get excited when I know a couple Jeopardy answers in a row! the other day I answered an ENTIRE category correctly, and then realized it was Teen Week. 😉

I love love love Wheel! …and Jeopardy. But I don’t watch either one nearly enough. My grandparents watch both shows every.single.night. No matter where they are, they find it them in the local listings and tune in. Now it’s one of my favorite things to do whenever they visit! (I seriously think my Grandma is a genius – she knows ALL the Jeopardy answers!)

that is so awesome your grandparents watch everywhere – if I am home (um, and remember…) the television is definitely on! I would LOVE to snag an audition! 😉

I loved Wheel of Fortune growing up, but haven’t watched it in ages! I also LOVED The Price is Right and always wanted to be a contestant on that show. :) Gorgeous apple treat! It’s almost your birthday – very exciting!!!!!!!!

This looks yummy :)
    I like Wheel of Fortune…but I once went to the Price is Right with my uncle (my cousins weren’t old enough yet and my aunt had no interest…).
    I was 18, and I thought it was all SO interesting. Everything was so much smaller in real life. I was just hoping I would not get called up on stage. …And I didn’t, but the girl next to me did, and I think the camera guy must have thought we were together because when I watched the show later, the camera kept focusing on me whenever the girl was participating.
    She got to the final round and lost.
    The end. :)

I imagine that Price is Right crowd and set is not as large as it seems on television – how FUN to be there – it always looks like a fun show!

I was warned against getting the computer game – as it’s addicting! 😉 I am really hoping to get picked this year!

what a great birthday present that would be if you got on stage- good luck! one birthday, i entered a raffle to see “wicked” the musical, and won! i got like, second row tickets- it was amazing!

yout raw apple cobbler looks so delicious! i’m sure it rivals any small birthday cake as far as taste, and it super healthy, too!

awesome on the Wicked score! hopefully that birthday luck will be with me this year…

and this cobbler is one of our favorites… SO good!

Good luck with the audition!
    My life goal is to be on Jeopardy. I’ve taken the online test multiple times, haha.

I have to make this, it looks delicious.

Woohoo September birthdays!

thank you!! yeah, this show is more about personality than intelligence, I think 😉 although you do need luck just to get picked to audition! 😀

yes, you have to make this! it is so very good, I cannot even describe.

are you a September birthday? happy birthday!!

it IS really fun – Pat and Vanna are not there, they have a “road” version of them! The guy who is in Pat’s role is great, as one would have to be to do that job – so energetic and funny. Even if I don’t get picked, it is a fun experience. but this time, I WANT TO GET PICKED! 😉

That would be THE BEST b-day gift evah!!! I hope you get picked! My friend got picked to go on the Price is Right. She WON all the way up to the showcase showdown. Then she overbid. hehe!

Maybe it’ll be good luck for you to know someone who knows someone who was on a game show!??!

haa – oh, my friend, I hope this is true! I didn’t know you last time, that HAS to be it! keep your fingers crossed for me, it’s coming up! (oh, hey, are you still at the coast, or have you moved along?)

Happy early birthday Bettie,

I’m an October baby and we usually go apple picking on my birthday so this would be a perfect afternoon treat to serve up after we spend a few hours in the orchards.

Okay, now you are speaking my language!! Grandma over here loves herself some Wheel of Fortune (and by grandma, I of course mean me! ha). I never miss a show. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you–this is your year, I can feel it!

Once again, you have impressed me with those photographs. Absolutely gorgeous! Sounds delicious (and pain-in-the-belly free!)

hi Grandma! 😉 yep, that’s me too. I love Wheel – don’t get to watch it all the time, but if I am around the television is ON then! thank you – I need all the good vibes I can get, I hope it IS my year! 😀

I simply can’t stand Wheel of Fortune (sorry, but true! LOL), but this raw cobbler looks phenomenal! :-) Good luck to you on your audition though, Kristina! If you get on the show, I’ll tell my mom and dad to watch you. 😉

xo,
    Shirley

no problem, Shirley!! 😉 I’ll be happy to have your good luck vibes, and I HOPE your parents get to watch me! 😀

and yes, the cobbler is GOOD.

thank you, Jackie! they are so good – your bars sound amazing, and yes, I bet they give you an idea… I love the buttery flavor of cashews, and they really give this a “pastry” flavor as well… this is by far our favorite treat around here! and thank you on the birthday wishes! :)

Make. This. Cobbler. 😉 seriously! it’s so dang good!

sorry it took me a day to get back to you – I emailed you earlier this morning! :) PLEASE let me know if there is anything I didn’t answer or if you have other questions!

thank you, Rivki!! thanks for both – I *really* hope I am able to get onstage, and thank you on the pretty! I make this dessert often, and last photographed it in February of this year – I can clearly see my improvements in the photos and it’s pretty exciting. 😀

BEAUTIFUL photos!

I’m not just saying this so you’ll help me with mine, this is honestly magazine worthy photography! especially when you see it next to the old one (which I thought was GREAT, looked again after our chat today). I still think it’s great, but these – wow, Kris, your improvements are awesome!

I just emailed you back again too – more questions on the ISO. 😀

oops – forgot about the lucuma. it’s a sweet powder from a Peruvian plant… you could make without…actually, this is good without ANY topping! :)

18. Amy P says

It says “serves two”…what if I don’t want to share? If I’m going to make my apples look this beautiful, I’M NOT SHARING! I’m going to say “Make your own beautiful apples!” : ) Beautiful Apples, Kris!

AND I LOVE Wheel of Fortune! I’m really good at it at home, too. I’d probably freeze and choke during auditions! Good luck! I’d be so excited to see someone I knew on there!

Amy, you obviously have not seen my juice recipes that say “serves two, or ME”. 😉 and you obviously are a girl I could get along with. you’re a smart cookie, keeping this to yourself (trust me, once you taste it you better have enough if you do have to share…) 😀

and THANK YOU!! I hope I get a chance to audition this time, and yep, I really hope I wouldn’t just freeze!

That looks beautiful, I could eat it straight out of my screen :) love the photos, nice post.
    Feel free to check out my site am giving away a free cupcake maker

good point, Lauren! I kept it “cleaner” this time around… even though I didn’t get picked, they DO go through and pick some of the leftovers for final auditions… perhaps I will get in that way! :)

Mmmm, this looks amazing – photos are SO gosh darn vibrant!!

Funny you say that about your grandpa… when I used to live in NYC, Jeopardy was on at 7pm instead of 7:30pm (like it is upstate, where my parents live), so I’d email the final Jeopardy answer to my mom so she could look extra smart in front of my dad, who is a Jeopary whiz. He caught on eventually, when she’d know the answers to completely random questions :)

GOOD LUCK with the Wheel!

I admit I have applied to Couples Wheel–my husband and I rock at it! This looks like a great snack and reminds me of charoset (a traditional passover dish). To my charoset I like to add dried cherries and I prefer pecans to cashews. I think that I might add in some honey instead of syrup too–I just like the flavor better. A drizzle of homemade caramel sauce sounds like the perfect topping.

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com

Couples Wheel would be fun, too! Jason’s pretty good at Wheel too, perhaps we should try that route sometime… 😉

I have made this raw cobbler with pecans before too – very good!

I have always love Wheel of Fortune, hopefully you get picked next time! I always wanted to be on Family Feud. I loved that game show. Your raw apple cobbler looks delish. Love the figs and cashews!

I know – I would LOVE to be on that show! this is my second time trying to audition – it is completely random drawing to even get on stage! and it’s all based on personality – so it IS fun to watch others audition – they play a speed round and solve a puzzle! I always think that too – if I actually get on the show I’d just CHOKE – stare into the camera or get the bankrupt spin. 😉 I WILL keep trying, though!

hi Natalie! not a worry, I love lingering comments! 😀 thank you so much – this is one of our favorite desserts – so easy and very tasty. they are always fun to make too.

23. Dr Denman says

thank you for this, Kristina! we made it today for the nutrition seminar and everyone loved it. next seminar, YOU are going to present, okay? 😉

thanks again, see you soon!

24. Baden says

I saw this in the newspaper this morning, the actual print! :) I am saying hello from Lawrence Kansas, and was surprised to see you are from Oregon! we visited Oregon while in college and I have always wanted to return. I am very new to the raw foods life, and had to say your cobbler looks simply divine!

congrats on the publish!

25. Yasmin says

this is spectacular! I was looking for a fresh dessert in the cold cold winter, this is it! I made it for myself to try, and now will be preparing it for the dinner party as planned. very creative.

Could I use arrowroot in place of lucuma powder (maybe that’s not raw, but I’m alright with that)? I’ve been a co-op food experimentalist/adventurer for seven years now and even I’ve never heard of it; I’m unlikely to find it anywhere around here!

Raw desserts are the best. Glad I came across this fabulous looking treat :)

hi Sarah! arrowroot has no real flavor, but it would make a good thickener, it will just taste like mapley apple, which is good. I’m happy you found this, I hope you love it as much as we do – it’s really good! we started out eating them raw, but they are also good warmed up! Enjoy!

27. Janet says

My daughter and son-in-law were just on the Wheel of Fortune, June 6th for the Newlywed version. The way you described the auditions is exactly the way they described them. My “kids” came in 2nd but still had a blast and my daughter said Vanna is even prettier in person. I hope you get selected this time from the lottery portion because you sound like you are full of personality and would be perfect for the Wheel. Good luck! Oh yeah, I also think your apple dish looks delicious and perfect for the hot summer weather. Thanks so much.

oh I am so super envious of them, Janet! I have (tried) to audition twice now, and this last time didn’t make it up there either. I just know if I got up on stage they would pick me! 😉 I’ll keep trying… I did get to attend several tapings of the show when they were in Portland – the shows that aired the whole month of May. it was really fun to see behind the scenes.

…and who knows? maybe when I got up there I’d freak out and not be able to say anything anyway! 😉

This raw apple cobbler is wonderful – I love those green tart apples in any form, but I think if they are juicy and sweet nothing beats the raw apple.

tart green apples are my favorite also! I love the flavor for this, especially – with the sweet of the “crumble” it is perfect!

hi Sarah, good to “meet” you! you found one of my favorite things, these are great when you want something sweet but still light. and they’re fun to make! 😀

29. Katrina says

I found you in the newspaper here in Neb; I am an intern here and working with a raw chef, we found this in the archive and I cannot wait to try it! beautiful!

Katrina Cisson

hi Katrina!! so happy to hear this, I was very excited to be in print back then! :) I recall my conversation with the writer of that feature, that there are too few raw/vegan options in the area. I do hope it is improving! Cheers, and enjoy that internship!

30. Elizabeth says

I would have to say my favorite games shows are/were JEOPARDY and TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES. T or C was on back when I was in grade school/Junior High. Was during the Viet Nam war and the best part was when the surprised the wives of service men with a visit from the deployed husband. There was always lots of hugs and crying. Bob Barker hosted that one.

What is lacuma powder?? Would definitely try the raw apple cobbler. I don’t like cooked apples in any way, though I make delicious apple pies I am told. I make a caramel sauce with brown sugar, vanilla and cream cheese (non dairy or regular) depending on who is eating it. Mix it up well and makes a great dip for fruit. I guess if you wanted it to drizzle add a little juice.

Truth or Consequences sounds fun with the military surprises… that is always such a great thing to witness!

lucuma powder is a natural sweetener, comes from the lucuma fruit (I’ve never seen one in person, sortof like a citrus I believe). it is an earthy sweetness, I like it. you can definitely make this without, if you cannot find it (I always order mine, don’t know how accessible it is in stores). your caramel sauce sounds fantastic!

What a bummer you didn’t get to go onstage! I had no idea how those were picked. One of my friends’ sons was on Kids Jeopardy and he did really well. We had a lot of fun watching him on tv.
    Anyway, your raw caramel apple cobbler looks amazing! My oldest son loves apple desserts so I am going to have to make this for him once we have local apples this fall.