Goodbye, Basil Dachshund

Sweet Basil Dachshund

Last week we said goodbye to Basil.

Basil Pup

When we found out Basil was sick, I knew then I did not want him to suffer at all.

I wanted him to be happy and comfortable for the rest of his days. We also knew that our time with Basil could be short.

It was. Way too short.

Basil and a Squeaky

Our wonderful vet gave us a referral for a wonderful doctor who makes house calls. We set an appointment, and we celebrated Basil. He had a grilled burger for breakfast, we set out pillows and blankets, and we sat outside in the fresh morning sunshine. Basil played with a squeaky – a stuffed garlic.

Basil with his Squeaky Garlic

Basil loved the burger. He chewed and squeaked that garlic, and he wagged. He was happy, just being with us. I was happy he was able to be comfortable and calm at home, rather than anxious in a clinical setting. I was so happy to be able to provide that for him.

Today would be Basil’s birthday. This has been a very sad and quiet week for all of us, and today we celebrate him once again.

We love you, Sweet Basil Bud.

Sitting here crying reading this. From one dog lover to another, I know it never gets easier, but he was so so lucky to have a great life with you. xo

You know I have nothing but long-distance love for Basil, as well as you, Jason and Rosemary. May you take comfort in your memories, my friend. XO

I am so sorry Kristina. You did the kindest thing for Basil, making his last day as comfortable as possible. We’ve had to do the same thing, so hard. xo

I got very very emotional last week when I read your facebook post about this. It made me so sad and reading this I’m tearing up again. I’m glad you were able to give him a special last day and make his transition as comfortable as possible. I am so sorry for your loss. :( Big hug to you and your remaining family.

Oh my, I’m so sorry about your little Basil buddy. I’ve dealt with that situation with a cat, and it’s such a hard choice to make, but you know in your heart that it’s the right one. I’m so glad that Basil got to have such an awesome time with his family (and his garlic stuffy!).

I am so sorry, you made me cry remembering the furry friends I have lost. It is so hard. But you did your best for him to give him the most comfortable passing you could, you were good to him.

7. Jean (wintrykiss) says

Im so very sorry for your loss … My heart goes out to you .. I truly know how you feel .. it horrible pain… Basil is free from pain and happy at the Rainbow Bridge now … Its the ONLY thing that kept me sane when I had to make the choice to end their suffering. We will all be reunited with our beloved pets at the bridge someday … RIP Basil

I’m so sorry to hear this! I’ve been out of the blogosphere for a bit but love to check back in from time to time to see what you are up to. I know how very hard it is to have to let go of a fur baby and we never seem to have enough time with them. :( Basil was such a loved member of your family and I know you miss him terribly! I’m sending you lots of love and virtual hug!!!!

Kristina I’m so sorry…Basil was such a joy and we all loved it when he popped up on your blog. He was such an exuberant character…his spirit will live on in your heart. Blessed be.

My whole heart goes out to you, Kristina. I am a little behind on my blogs and so I am not sure if you had talked about this yet or not but when I saw the title I did an audible gasp and my coworker looked over at me to make sure I was okay. So sad. My aunt has a Yorkie named Basil and they call him Basil Bud as well. It’s comforting to know that he had such wonderful, loved life. That fills my heart with joy, as I know many dogs do not. And now, maybe in the future you’ll get to share that love with another dog in need of it.

11. Tina Ballantyne says

You don’t know me but I have been exactly in your shoes with my dear dachshund. I am so sorry but know sweet Basil knew he was loved until the end and beyond.

Oh my goodness, my heart breaks again for you as I read this, Kristina. But I so love the amazing way that you let Basil “step off.” That’s what one friend’s mother (who passed away in her 90s a few years ago) always said, “when I step off.” Basil stepped off in the most beautiful way possible. You were amazing guardians/companions of Basil’s for his time here.

Much love and many hugs to you,

13. jacquie says

i’m so sorry for your loss. It so hard when we lose our four-legged companions. i recently lost my older dog and reading your post reminds me of that – not all bad as there were so many many good memories. I’m glad you had some special time and the end and were again able to celebrate him today. Peace to you in this time of hurt and darkness.

I’m so sorry about this, Kristina… it’s so hard to say goodbye to our furry friends. You gave him the best right up until the very end, as difficult as it must have been, and he’ll be with you always. And with that kind of love, I bet he’ll come back to you again in another little body sometime soon…… xo

15. Diana says

I’m so sorry for your loss. I had to do the very same thing a few weeks ago…so difficult to say goodbye. I too wanted to let my girl go with as much grace and peace as she deserved. Until we meet them again one day.

16. Maura says

So, so sorry for your loss. Praying you quickly find comfort in your happy memories with him. You cared for him right until the end, keeping him safe, making his transition as peaceful as possible. He will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

17. michelle geil says

Wishing you comfort and peace. Remember that Basil is out of any pain or discomfort, and I hope you can find happiness in all the fond memories, knowing that he obviously lived a well-loved doggie life (-: Be well.

18. Christine says

Fenway Bark (my terrier) and I are sending love and big hugs your way. Sweet little Basil will be missed. <3

This post made me cry. I know I’m going to have to make that decision soon(ish — dachshunds live to be 20 sometimes, right?). Mr. Barney Stinson is going to be 8 this year, and his back has been a battle for us.

I’m so sorry. We lost our dachshund Ralphie last May and it still hurts, acutely, more than a year later. We were lucky enough to be able to give him four awesome days and then end his suffering at home, in the comfort of his own bed. Basil was a beautiful guy, and so lucky to have found such caring humans.

21. Marty says

I know this is so late, but I offer sincere condolences…I was raised with Doxies…they are loves! Oooh my, he will missed by all of us too… Xo