Cherry Sorbet Champagne Floats

in cherry season, cocktails, Cooking Light, Dessert, Happy Hour at Home, summertime

Cherry Champagne Floats

One of the first things I made with our cherry haul was sorbet. Easy as (cherry?) pie.

Cool, refreshing, amazing flavor. Blended just enough to achieve a creamy consistency, with small cherry pieces dotted throughout…

Champagne Floats

Then we poured champagne over it, like a pretty pink ice cream float.

Wow. I can tell you one thing, that kind of float will be happening more around here.
I can tell you a second thing, you should definitely be making these, as soon as you possibly can.

Cherry Sorbet Floats

The arrival of my July issue of Cooking Light is impeccably timed, as they have a great roundup of cherry recipes. I was inspired by their recipe for cherry sorbet.

Really, easy as pie.

cherry sorbet champagne floats

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup vegan sugar
1 cup coconut water
4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
juice and zest of 1 lime
1 champagne split

INSTRUCTIONS:

In saucepan over low heat, combine sugar and coconut water. Stir until dissolved, remove from heat and cool completely. Transfer sugar water to blender, combine with cherries, lime juice and zest. Blend until smooth. Pour into prepared ice cream maker, process according to manufacturer instruction. Transfer to freezer safe covered container, freeze several hours.

Serve one large scoop into glass or small bowl, pour champagne over and top with fresh cherry.

Cherry Sorbet Champagne Floats

CHEERS!

1 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 16, 2012 at 5:42 am

Ice cream float… with champagne. Brilliant! We’re going all crazy with cherries over here, too. So many!

2 spabettie July 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm

right?? so bubbly and light, all those years I missed out because I’m not a root beer fan! well, I was 9;)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 16, 2012 at 5:43 am

Um – yum! That looks incredible and really refreshing on a hot summer day.

4 spabettie July 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm

it is… we WILL be doing this often!

5 Nichole July 16, 2012 at 8:24 am

You know how when you see a jolly rancher your mouth salivates…that just happened. And I have nothing to quench this… haha.

6 spabettie July 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm

yes Yes YES I know that feeling. we have had that feeling the last three nights around dessert time… ;)

7 Eileen July 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm

NO WAY. See, this is what I should’ve made last week, while cherries were actually still available at our farmer’s market. I guess I’ll just have to suffer through some delicious plum or nectarine sorbet with champagne instead. :)

8 spabettie July 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm

okay Eileen, the cherries are good, but only half of this creation, and the better, more exciting half is the champagne, so you are good!

9 La Phemme Phoodie July 16, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Did someone say champagne? Hooray! It’s my favorite beverage. Gives me a nice little buzz:) Love the idea of pouring it over the sorbet!

10 spabettie July 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I love champagne too… bubbly bubbly! we have had these ‘floats’ as dessert the last three nights…

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Well, if I had that earlier today, my day would have been a hell of a lot better! That looks absolutely perfect!

12 dorry July 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm

amazing! cherry sorbet is my new favorite – we’ve been to Connecticut twice this summer – going again in a couple of weeks – and there is a little dessert place that has THE BEST cherry sorbet, although I bet yours would win in a taste test. :) all this time I thought I wanted strawberry or raspberry, but cherry is my new fave!

13 spabettie July 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I rarely buy cherries at the market, preferring rasp, straw and blueberries, but now that we have a tree full, I am really enjoying them!

14 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 16, 2012 at 6:28 pm

you’ve done it again! what a refreshing and delicious recipe! i love the color!

15 spabettie July 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm

isn’t the color gorgeous? I like pink ;)

16 Shirley @ gluten free easily July 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm

You made this for my birthday, didn’t you? ;-) It’s not until tomorrow, but Son and I are starting the celebration early with smoothies. No alcohol though. :-( These are fun and pretty. I’m afraid I’d fill my glass with champagne! ;-)

xo,
Shirley

17 spabettie July 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm

well happy birthday, my dear! I wish I could make these for you! :D I hope you had a wonderful day, and the celebration continues all week!

XO Kris

18 Baker Street July 16, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Cheers! I see you’re putting the cherries to great use. This sorbet sounds delicious! :)

19 spabettie July 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm

and cheers to you! yes, the sorbet is SO good, and the champagne/prosecco idea? simply brilliant!

20 Ashley F. July 17, 2012 at 7:15 am

Um, yes please! That looks so refreshing and it’s been so hot here for the last few weeks that I could definitely use some refreshing :)

21 spabettie July 17, 2012 at 7:32 pm

this would absolutely do the trick! I wish I could send you some…

22 Barbara | Creative Culinary July 17, 2012 at 8:24 am

This is hardly as easy as pie. It’s a million times easier! I just got a haul of cherries too and have a couple of bottles of prosecco in the fridge. Oh yeah this is gonna be done.

23 spabettie July 17, 2012 at 7:29 pm

ha, you are right Barbara – much easier. (who made up that phrase anyway?) ;) I am happy you are making this – it is SO good!

24 Sarah July 17, 2012 at 1:16 pm

soooo into cherries right now (anti-aging and whatnot)… thanks for this!

25 spabettie July 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I hope you try this one, Sarah – it is SO good! and yes – I recently read about the benefits of cherries, there are many!

26 Frugal Foodie Mama July 18, 2012 at 7:22 am

These looks so good! Think I am going to try my own version with frozen cherries I already have- may just blend them with some lime juice & sugar, a little water to make a thick slush and then pour the champagne over top? This makes me want to plan a girls’ night now! ;)
Found you via the Fresh Foods Wednesday blog hop.

27 spabettie July 18, 2012 at 8:02 am

hello Carrie – great to “meet” you! and yes, that sounds like it should work – if the cherries are frozen and you blend for a very short time, you may even get a sorbet consistency, using ice in place of water? either way, it will be delicious!

28 Sam July 19, 2012 at 6:13 am

This really makes me wish it were still cherry season here. I’m definitely saving this one for next year!

Thanks for sharing with Fresh Foods Wednesdays!

29 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 7:52 am

hi Sam!! I hope you do make this next year… SO good. you could make a sorbet with other in season fruits until then… ;)

30 Jenny July 19, 2012 at 6:43 am

I love all you cherry recipe!!

31 Lena July 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

beautiful photos and color!

32 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 7:45 am

thank you, I appreciate that!

33 Jobo July 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Holy crap. Cherry and champagne together?? Food nirvana!!

34 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 7:44 am

it IS Nirvana. so so good. please do this as soon as possible. ;)

35 Lora @cakeduchess July 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm

SO love this and want it now! Gorgeous color and a perfect summer drink to share on the patio some friends:)

36 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 7:42 am

yes yes yes, this you MUST try! it is absolutely perfect to share – everyone will love it!

37 kristy @ gastronomical sovereignty July 22, 2012 at 8:58 am

holy moly!! you put cherries and booze into a glass? i knew there was a reason i liked you ;) frozen boozy cherry sweet deliciousness = summer and a very excited kristy. pinning for later usage :)

thank you for visiting and sharing your seasonal post with us at The Fresh Foods Blog Hop – I hope you’ll stop by again this Wednesday!

38 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm

see?! you MUST try this – it’s our new favorite around here!

39 Edie July 26, 2012 at 5:14 pm

we enjoyed this as dessert tonight and last, yummo! thanks spabettie