Curry Coins with Garlic Mango Aioli

in appetizers,Basil is a Young Sportsman,Basil Pup,dachshund,Dinner,Gluten Free,real life wisdom,recipes,Vegan

Curry Coins with Garlic Mango Aioli

So.

We found out recently that Basil has cancer.

I know. I cannot even talk about it.

Last week, I told Jason that when the time comes, I do not want Sweet Basil to leave us in the environment of a cold sterile vet office. I do not want Basil’s final moments to be filled with the anxious fear he has every time we go to the vet.

I said I would pay any amount of money to have our doc come here, to our house. To Basil’s yard. His grass. His sunshine.

how to roast garlic

This turned into something of a plan. Basil’s Best Day.

Where he eats all the foods. He squeaks all the squeaky toys. And he is home, in his grassy yard, surrounded by love and comfort. We have been talking about it ever since. The foods. The squeakies. The making our sweet pet comfortable and happy, all of the rest of his days.

Last night I saw this - A Dog’s Final Day.

Oh, wow. As if I have not been crying enough already these last couple weeks.

But it made my heart smile, too. This is exactly what I have been planning! I love that this pup got his day. Basil will have his day. I will do anything to make it happen.

Basil loves mangoes. When I made this, I shared a separate, whole mango with him. It was sheer happiness and wagging.

Curry Potato Coins with Garlic Mango Aioli

crispy curry coins

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed
2 tablespoons olive oil
curry powder

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 325.

Scrub sweet potatoes. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice potatoes into thin coins. In large mixing bowl, toss potato coins with olive oil. Arrange in single layer on parchment / baking sheet. Sprinkle with curry powder.

Bake at 325 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, reduce heat to 275. Flip each potato coin over, bake another 10 minutes or until edges are crisp and potatoes are soft / cooked through.

garlic mango aioli

YIELD:

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 fresh mango, peeled and pitted
1 bulb garlic, roasted (method below)
1/4 cup dairy free mayonnaise (Soy Free)
sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

roasting the garlic:

Peel the layers away from the garlic bulb, and slice the top off to expose the cloves inside. Set the bulb on the middle of a piece of aluminum foil (large enough to cover garlic bulb), drizzle with olive oil. Salt and pepper, and wrap the foil up around the garlic, covering completely.

Place on a baking sheet and cook in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until garlic cloves are softened. Set aside to cool.

Peel and slice mango away from pit. Add to blender with roasted garlic and mayonnaise. Blend to combine, taste and salt as needed.

Curry Potatoes with Garlic Mango Aioli

We love you, Basil.

1 SallyBR July 15, 2014 at 3:42 am

I am so sorry. I also saw that link, I suppose it went viral, but I could not read it to the end, I cried so much…

I put several of my best friends to sleep, and having a 15.5 year old dog who is getting weaker and weaker as each week goes by, makes this a delicate subject

I know you will do the best for Basil, but these are painful times, very very painful

2 Abby July 15, 2014 at 4:12 am

I’ve been there and I’m so, so sorry to hear this news. But as you know, Basil is a fighter (and a lover, but a fighter when it counts.) Who knows how long any of us have left? I’m sure Basil will enjoy the rest of his life knowing he is loved and cherished, a way that we all hope to feel :) You know where to find me, my friend. XO

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 15, 2014 at 5:00 am

I refuse to watch that video right now. I am so sorry about Basil. Not fair at all. :( Thinking you, friend.

4 Rachel R. July 15, 2014 at 6:32 am

This is literally the first entry of yours I have ever read (just stumbled across your blog looking for vegan blogs to read) but had to leave a note with my sympathy. Saying goodbye to our furry best friends is so hard.

And I have to leave a vote of support for your plan to have your vet visit your house on Basil’s last day. We just lost our rottie/shepherd mix, Petey, a couple of months ago, and that’s exactly what we did – best decision we could have made. He was lying in his own bed, with me and my husband and our other dogs around, and he just went to sleep. Even though we love our vet (and they loved Petey), having her come to our house was so much better than a sterile doctor’s office.

And I have not watched the video – too soon!

5 Carbzilla July 15, 2014 at 7:01 am

Oh honey, I’m so sorry. We went through this and also did it at home. Cady was actually having a really good day and even brought the vet a toy. It was one of the most painful days of our lives but we did it as best we could. Big hugs.

6 Audrey July 15, 2014 at 8:54 am

So sorry to hear about Basil! :( I love that you are going to give him a special day.

7 Lisa July 15, 2014 at 9:39 am

When I saw your post on Facebook it made me cry. My heart hurts for you guys. Big hug to Basil. :(

8 Jolene July 15, 2014 at 9:52 am

Oh friend, I am so so SO sorry. I can’t watch the video either, still feels so fresh for me as well. I of course feel for you so much, having gone through this and love your approach to your sweet pup. It is one of the hardest things in life to endure, I truly believe, hard to even express, but you have such support and strength all around you. Know that. XOXOXO

9 Beth July 15, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I’m so sorry. I grew up with dachshunds. And all of the pets my husband and I have had together have had cancer. It’s so unfair!
I don’t know where you live, but there are vets who do hospice and in-home euthanasia. You can look here: http://www.lapoflove.com/Find-A-Vet. The site also has some excellent resources about making the last days comfortable.
Blessings.

10 Wendy July 15, 2014 at 1:16 pm

There just aren’t words to say how sorry I am. You have had such a tough patch and now this. I love your approach of having sweet Basil at home where he is happy. Know that my thoughts are with you! XO

11 The Peace Patch July 15, 2014 at 2:59 pm

All of the moments that you’ve had together and continue to have are full of love and magic…try to stay in the “here and now” and relish and celebrate every last ounce out of it. When the time comes, your plans sound wise…until then, let go of the future and just be together.
Blessed be.

12 Maura July 16, 2014 at 3:51 am

I am so, so sorry to hear about Basil. I am struggling through the same thing with my dear cat Samantha and I know how heartbreaking it is. I had just seen that post about Duke on Sunday, was so moved by it, although it left me bawling. You and Basil are in my prayers. Enjoy every moment you have together.

13 Karen July 16, 2014 at 5:06 am

So sorry about your sweet Basil! We lost our beloved Chewbacca (pitbull) to cancer 6 weeks ago. He was 12. I still look for his smiling face in the front window where he waited for us to return from work everyday. The crying episodes are getting farther apart, but the pain remains. Crying a few tears for you this morning too. I applaud you for letting him go in his own home. I was unable to do that, but held him in my arms as he breathed his last breath.

14 Heather @ FITaspire July 16, 2014 at 8:53 am

I’m so sorry about Basil, I have an older dog too and I know this time will come, but it’s so hard. Our dogs aren’t our pets, they really are our family, our children. I love that you want his final days to be filled with joy and love! Praying for you guys. *Hugs*

15 michelle geil July 16, 2014 at 9:47 am

Sending you love, sympathy and comfort and prayers for Basil. Wishing you beautiful memories – you obviously love him deeply, and that love is returned now and forever. I too saw the video and was so moved by it. It’s a reminder, too, to love each other every day, and make every day the best we can. You are blessed by Basil’s love too!