Totally Tahini Cups with Coffee Cream Filling

in baking,Books,cookbook review,Dessert,Gluten Free,raw,recipes,snacks,Vegan

Totally Tahini Cups with Coffee Cream Filling

spabettie is the next stop on the Rawsome Vegan Baking Un-Cookbook tour – and this recipe I chose to share? Oh So Good. Totally Tahini Cups with Coffee Cream Filling – a simple recipe with only four ingredients, but so much flavor!

First, the book. The deliciousness comes from Emily von Euw of This Rawsome Vegan Life. With stunning photos of seemingly every recipe, this book is fun to just sit and read, as you know I love to do.

Upon my first browsing, I immediately had a list of recipes I wanted to try – these cups were first.

I have also made the Boston Banana Cream Deep Dish Tarts, which were uuhhh-mazing. I WILL be making the Fresh Citrus Tart with Lemon Cream – sounds so fresh and bright, and the photo in the book is gorgeous. Ultimate Caramel Chocolate Squares, Triple Layer Ice Cream Cake with Cashew Peppermint, Banana Strawberry and Coconut Vanilla Layers? Yes. I will be making.

I think up next is the Creme Brulee of Cashews, Coconut, Lavender and Cinnamon…  with banana layers. This book is full of Inventive Creative Rawesomeness, and is a great book if you are interested in raw desserts – most everything looks very easy.

rawsome

I am not kidding when I say I cannot wait to make these Tahini Cups again – we love the flavors in these, and they could not be easier to make. The savory tahini with the salted top combine perfectly with the sweet coffee filling – just a genius combination.

I used my small silicone muffin ‘tin’ – so this recipe made more than six for me – I got nine mini cups.

Raw Vegan Tahini Cups with Coffee Cream Filling

Totally Tahini Cups with Coffee Cream Filling

YIELD: 6 cups

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

TAHINI SHELL

INGREDIENTS:

1/3 cup (80 g) tahini
1/3 cup (79 ml) melted coconut oil

INSTRUCTIONS:

Combine the ingredients by hand or in a food processor until smooth. It will be a bit watery but the coconut oil will harden up in the fridge. Pour half of the mixture into the bottom of 6 cupcake liners and put in fridge for 20 minutes, or until solid. Set aside the other half of the tahini mixture.

COFFEE CREAM

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup (175 g) pitted dates
1/2 cup (118 ml) strong brewed coffee, or as needed
salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

Put the dates into your food processor and process until smooth and very thick, adding the coffee as needed. This could take a few minutes, and you may have to stop the food processor to wipe down the sides a few times so everything continues to combine evenly.

ASSEMBLY: Scoop a dollop of the filling into each of the hardened bottoms in your cupcake papers. Pour enough of the remaining tahini mixture on each to cover the dollop. Put back in fridge for about 20 minutes, or until solid, then sprinkle with salt and enjoy!

Tahini Cups with Coffee Cream Filling

Mmm, Rawsome.

1 Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg March 20, 2014 at 4:30 am

Wow, this is so unique. I can’t wait to try this recipe. Being of Middle Eastern background tahini is always in my pantry so this is definitely a must try.

2 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I love tahini, it is always in my pantry too! I hope you do try this recipe soon, Norma – they are SO good!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 20, 2014 at 5:21 am

Oh wow. These look amazing!

4 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2014 at 9:39 pm

they are SO VERY good – I know you’d love them Heather!

5 The Peace Patch March 20, 2014 at 7:33 am

ohgoodgolly I was just wondering yesterday when Emily’s book was coming out and here it is! I was thinking her chocolate tahini caramel delights would be fun to make for Easter treats but these are fabulous too…I might need to make them both! Thanks for sharing the recipe…Cheers! :)

6 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2014 at 9:38 pm

you are so welcome, and YES, you should definitely try these!! cheers to you!

7 Eileen March 20, 2014 at 11:45 am

These are the kind of thing that make me wish we had a food processor! (And falafel. Always falafel.) I love how simple and unexpected they are. :)

8 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2014 at 9:38 pm

hmm – you could get around the lack of food processor, easy – you could make a date paste by adding the dates + coffee to a saucepan over low-medium heat… they basically melt into the same sort of paste. I’d definitely let the paste cool completely before building the cups.

9 Purelytwins March 20, 2014 at 12:38 pm

this sound amazing!!! we adore tahini!!!! YUM

10 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I know – at least as much as I do! :)

11 Lindsey | Cafe Johnsonia March 20, 2014 at 5:08 pm

So…I am just finishing off my first tahini cup and it is freaking delicious! HOLY MOLY. I am in love! I added some orange zest and cardamom to my date filling. Incredible! I’m totally buying that book!

12 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2014 at 9:35 pm

YAY! so glad you made them – and I LOVE that you added orange + cardamom – two of my favorites and I think I’ll have to do just that next time also! XXO!

13 Kelli March 20, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Oh wow, these look fabulous. And so easy… who woulda thought? :) I can’t wait to make them!

14 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Kelli they ARE fabulous! I cannot wait to hear how you like them – enjoy!

15 Beth March 24, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Can’t wait to try these! Do they need to be kept refrigerated? Any idea how long they can be kept? Thanks so much for sharing!

16 Kristina Sloggett March 25, 2014 at 7:15 am

yes, I keep them in the refrigerator (it is one of those things that begins to melt in your hands). I kept mine for 4 days? that is generally my rule for homemade items, eating them while very fresh, but they could probably go a week or so? I have not tried the freezer, don’t know how they’d fare in there…

but YES, I cannot wait for you to try these either – they are SO GOOD! enjoy!

17 Skylar May 22, 2014 at 1:04 am

I can’t wait to try these!!! What else might be good instead of coffee?

18 Claude June 2, 2014 at 10:06 am

I have this book and I love it! Now, mind you, I’ve only made two items: the cacao cashew cups (which were incredible…my partner is hooked on them and he’s not even vegan), and these tahini cups which didn’t turn out well at all. But I think I know why: I didn’t let the first half-shells cool in the fridge long enough, and it looks like I used muffin cups that were too big.

I’ll try again, though. These *will* turn out right, eventually!

19 Kristina Sloggett June 2, 2014 at 10:12 am

yes, and I would say let them set even longer – somehow they still often end up with filling coming through the tops, no matter how smooth they look when completed. still, SO GOOD, so worth it :)