chocolate peanut butter truffle pie

in baking,Dessert,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

chocolate peanut butter truffle pie

Chocolate and Peanut Butter.

Still one of my all time favorite pairings in all the foods. Being hugged by a flaky light crust, this simple pie is happy to celebrate 3.14159265…  uh, Pi Day.

Pie Day.

chocolate truffle pie

This is a recipe I first made several years back. I made it for a holiday party and never even took photos. This pie is really like a truffle – so decadent and rich – that a small sliver of a slice is all you need. This time I made the recipe as is and filled two smaller pie tins – these are probably 5 1/2 inch tins?

The small triangles of pie are cute as heck.

chocolate peanut butter pie

chocolate peanut butter truffle pie

yield: one 9 inch pie

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

8 ounces dark chocolate (70-72%)
1 cup full fat coconut milk (canned)*
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 easy gluten free pie crust

*Without shaking, open can of coconut milk, spoon out 1 cup of the thick portion at top of can for this recipe. I save the remainder for smoothies, unless another recipe gets to it first.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Prepare pie crust, roll out and line pie pan, cut decorative toppers with scraps. Set scraps onto a prepared (parchment) baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (possibly less for the scraps), or until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside to cool.

Chop chocolate.

In saucepan, bring coconut milk to a boil, reduce to simmer and stir continually for several minutes. Remove from heat, add chopped chocolate and peanut butter, whisk until smooth. Remove from heat, cool slightly. Pour into pie crust, set aside to cool slightly. Once the filling begins to thicken, top with any cooked crust pieces. Transfer to refrigerator to set (at least 1 hour).

vegan chocolate peanut butter pie

Happy Pi Day!

I shared this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 lindsay March 11, 2014 at 3:59 am

i love your pie themes! and the other Pi as well! <3 when do i get to buy a cookbook from you?

2 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 11, 2014 at 7:05 am

I agree with Lindsay – love that you celebrate Pi/Pie Day!!! And forget the cookbook, let’s just live closer so you can cook FOR me ;-)

3 Heather @ Better With Veggies March 11, 2014 at 8:50 am

You make me smile and your recipes are always gorgeous. I love the Pi on top of the Pie. :)

4 Eileen March 11, 2014 at 10:17 am

Hooray for pie! This sounds so easy and delicious. I bet the filling would work really well as a decadent pudding too!

5 Bianca- Vegan Crunk March 11, 2014 at 10:45 am

Amazing. PB & chocolate belong together. And that pie belongs in my belly. Happy Pi Day!

6 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 12, 2014 at 12:00 am

Nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter in a pie.

7 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts June 9, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Hey Kristina,

I drooled over this pie before, but didn’t comment. :-( I love the simplicity of it and just shared on All Gluten-Free Desserts. :-) I did have a question on the recipe. You state that 1 cup of full-fat coconut milk is called for and then you indicate that 1/2 cup of the coconut cream off the top is used. So is it 1/2 cup of that coconut cream and another 1/2 cup coconut milk for a total of 1 cup of the two combined?

Thanks!
Shirley

8 Kristina Sloggett June 9, 2014 at 7:16 pm

oh, THANKS Shirley! it is one cup, I edited to correct the instructions to reflect one cup. THANKS for catching that, and thank you as always for sharing! XXO

9 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts June 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm

My pleasure, of course! And thanks so much for the clarification, dear!

xo,