caramelized almond rocky road bark

in Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, Valentines Day, Vegan

caramelized almond rocky road bark

Do you want to guess how many times I typed caramelized onion rocky road bark?

Every time, that’s how many times. Apparently I love caramelized onions so much that my typing hands have a memory for them.

Mmm, they are good.

…and so are caramelized almonds. A totally different technique to make those, but just like a pan of caramelized onions, I could stand at the kitchen counter and eat a whole pan of these almonds.

Onions almonds onions almonds – confused yet?

dark chocolate rocky road bark

During the holidays, I ordered several cases of Chuao chocolate bars to give as thank you gifts to a large group of friends who had done something very nice for me last year. Many of the boxes were their dairy free / vegan friendly bars, but at least one whole case had boxes of regular bars, for my non vegan friends.

One bar I ordered several boxes of was the Ravishing Rocky Road bar. Then I sent them all away to my friends.

I’ve been thinking of those bars ever since, and finally kinda sorta recreated them in this bark. No onions added.

For this recipe, I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels which are dairy, nut and soy free. These are their newest product in their baking chocolate lineup. The first thing I did with them was a taste test in my favorite chocolate chip cookie – perfect! I took a chance that they would melt into a delicious dark chocolate bark, and again, they performed perfectly.

Not pink or red, but my Valentines will be enjoying bark this week.

vegan rocky road bark

caramelized almond rocky road bark

YIELD: 20-24 two inch pieces

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

10 ounces dark chocolate (72-88%)
1/3 cup caramelized almonds (recipe follows)
4-5 toasted coconut marshmallows
sprinkling sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

Line a baking sheet with parchment.

In saucepan over lowest heat, melt chocolate. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour onto parchment; using an offset spatula, spread in an even layer to desired thickness (this recipe is about 1/8 inch). Sprinkle with sea salt. Add toppings: marshmallows then almonds, in uniform pattern so each piece of bark is covered. Sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to cool (in refrigerator), break or cut into pieces.

caramelized almonds

YIELD:

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1-2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1/3 – 1/2 cup almonds

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment.

In saucepan over medium heat, add brown rice syrup and stir until heated / thinned. Add almonds, stir to coat completely. Remove from heat, pour almonds into middle of parchment. Spread into single layer, sprinkle with coconut sugar.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, syrup will bubble. Remove from oven, allow to cool. Break apart any pieces stuck together.

caramelized almond chocolate bark

Happy Valentines!

I shared this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 12, 2014 at 7:37 am

As good as this looks… I’m not sure I could save enough of those marshmallows to put in bark. LOL!

2 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 12, 2014 at 10:44 am

Well now I feel awful for never saying thank you for that wonderful present, they are still sitting on my dining room table to remind me and everything!! Please excuse my extreme lack of manners and THANK YOU! :)

And these look fan-freakin-tastic my friend!!

3 Purelytwins February 12, 2014 at 11:18 am

want!! this year we’ve gotten really into marshmallows – so this chocolate bark sounds perfect!

4 Eileen February 12, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I can’t say I would mind either caramelized onions OR almonds! Although I do think you made the right choice for this chocolate bark. :) Looks amazing!

5 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef February 12, 2014 at 8:49 pm

The first time I saw the title I read it as caramelized onion and thought you might be nuts. Then I realized it was me.

I love this rocky road bark.

6 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 13, 2014 at 7:27 am

Ok, I’m not a huge chocolate fan and I think I just drooled. These look incredible and talk about an awesome gift too! And I seriously would not have been shocked to see you pull off chocolate caramelized onions ;-)

7 steph@stephsbitebybite February 14, 2014 at 6:05 am

Caramelized almonds?! This is incredible. There’s no way this bark would last in my house!

8 Laurie February 23, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Ooh, these look fantastic. I’m a huge (vegan) marshmallow fan!

FYI, though: Sweet and Sara marshmallows aren’t safely gluten-free for those with celiac disease because of cross-contamination. Dandies are, though!

9 Ksenija February 24, 2014 at 10:52 am

This looks addictive!
Definitely will give them a try soon.
Check my blog for some recipes as well. :) http://www.heelsandbuns.com
x
K

10 Rachel @ The Stay At Home Chef February 11, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Love this combination. Those toasted coconut marshmallows…wowzers! That just sounds so delicious to me right now! I love a good bark!

11 Shanna @ Pineapple and Coconut February 11, 2015 at 9:25 pm

I don’t think the toasted coconut marshmallows would make it to the bark, I would eat them all first. ha ha. This bark looks and sounds so good!

12 Sue @ It's Okay to Eat the Cupcake February 11, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Wow, what a creative approach! This looks delicious – you’ve got some lucky friends!

13 Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon February 12, 2015 at 4:22 am

I’ve never made caramelized almonds before, but you can bet that is going to change now. I love caramelized onions too :) I’m betting these never make it off the pan.

14 pam (Sidewalk Shoes) February 12, 2015 at 5:54 am

This looks so good!!!!

15 Michelle @ A Dish of Daily Life February 12, 2015 at 10:02 pm

I have a thing for caramelized onions too. And I do the same thing…my hands get so used to typing one thing and I type it over and over again before I get it right. Too funny! Anyway…these look awesome! And I am pretty sure when I make them, they’re not going to last more than a few minutes. :)

16 Kristina Sloggett February 16, 2015 at 7:44 pm

yep – they go quickly for sure, Michelle!

17 Sabrina Modelle February 13, 2015 at 10:42 am

Oh my goodness, Kristina! These are my favorite flavors all rolled into one! I am so making this + your coconut marshmallows. Happy V-Day to me ;)

18 Kristina Sloggett February 16, 2015 at 7:39 pm

I hope you enjoyed – this bark gets made around here more than any other – something about those sugary almonds! cheers Sabrina!