cauliflower steaks with shiitake gravy

in Dinner, Gluten Free, holiday, recipes, Vegan

quinoa-chia cauliflower steaks

I know I say this every year, but the holidays truly begin for me when I smell the beginnings of my mom’s dressing. Our own mirepoix of onions, celery and vermouth is the lovely scent I am after – and the holidays are here.

Yesterday, mom and I started planning Thanksgiving.

I always make dessert and way too many daytime snacks and appetizers (those are my two areas of expertise, if I have any). Jason always makes the mashed potatoes.

Since my kitchen is still in full on renovation mode, I am excited to spend the day before Thanksgiving over at moms, cooking all day!

cauliflower steaks with shiitake gravy

With my plant based diet and both Jason and mom being gluten free, there are always an abundance of choices for just about everyone.

This year my entree will be steak.

Cauliflower steak.

Smothered in this shiitake gravy atop Jason’s perfect mashed taters, with some of my ginger cranberry sauce and my mom’s awesome dressing and a bunch of garlicy greens, I will be in holiday bliss.

plant based steaks with mushroom gravy

Please visit me at Attune to see both recipes – Quinoa-Chia Cauliflower Steaks

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) November 14, 2013 at 3:39 am

Those look amazing! I hope you have room for me and Jason!! ;-) Our menu pretty much never changes. That can be good and bad. I don’t get to be creative, but then I also don’t have to stress about it. I do have to make something for a work potluck though.

2 Abby November 14, 2013 at 4:48 am

Even though I could never eat anything they made, I do miss the smells and sights and sounds of a big family Thanksgiving meal. Last year my mom still made a small meal for her and her friend, but I don’t think she can even afford that this year. Instead we’re going to go to the home with Gram and hang out there for the big meal and just enjoy the company (and hope it smells better than normal.) ;)

Your ideas? Genius. I would love to come hang out!

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 14, 2013 at 8:13 am

Yeow! I would be in holiday bliss too! I still think you should hop a plane to CO for the weekend… with wasabi chocolates. ;)

4 Heather @ Better With Veggies November 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Cauliflower Steak?! Oh my gosh – you have done it again!! :) So interesting!

5 erinwyso November 15, 2013 at 3:52 am

Kristina, This sounds DIVINE! I will definitely give this one a try!

6 Kate | Food Babbles November 16, 2013 at 4:11 pm

This looks AWESOME!! I am headed over right now to grab this recipe and I’m adding it to my meal plan for the week. WOW!

7 Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! November 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Shiiiiiiiit. I’ve been wanting to try my hand at making cauliflower steaks, but the way that you breaded these just blew my mind! Another recipe for my endless to-do list! <3

8 Richa November 25, 2013 at 11:58 pm

i love that crunchy gf breading! i think this will fare much better than a toasted cauliflower slice for the non vegetable liking crowd:)