kabocha fries with buffalo celery ranch

kabocha fries with buffalo celery ranch dressing

veganmofo

I have a couple early food memories around squash.

One is Grandpa Z’s zucchini. He would grow them bigger than our dachshund.

He would slice them into half-inch rounds, batter and fry them. Oooh mama, those were some good eatin’. Summertime at the grandparents house was fun and tasty.

I can still see Grandpa Z holding up one of his big zucchini, huge grin on his face.

The second memory is my mom’s favorite way to prepare squash – split in half, scoop out the innards, bake with a couple pats of butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar.

Another one of my favorite ways to eat squash.

Until now. Just look at this:

kabocha baked fries

For who knows how long now, I have watched my friend Sarena enjoy kabocha all kinds of ways. Raves about it, she does. I see several of the Sherpas eating it, and Laura has kabocha nearly every day, right Laura?

Here in Portland, the kabocha is an elusive winter squash – it cannot be found in the normal market. Just as I gave up the long search, I found two massive piles of kabocha at my favorite Asian market!

Immediately three of them jumped into my cart.

That was a week ago. I have been back for more, and I refuse to cop to the current number of kabocha in my kitchen. Let’s just say I am celebrating everything kabocha.

kabocha fries

kabocha fries

YIELD: I suppose I could share these (makes 25-30 fries, serves several)

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 kabocha squash, scrubbed
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
sea salt and pepper
buffalo celery ranch dressing, for dipping

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375. Cut squash in half at stem. Remove stem, seeds and innards, bottom core. Slice into uniform size pieces – half moon rounds the full size of the squash. Coat in coconut oil, arrange in a single layer on prepared (foil, parchment) baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip each slice to other side, return to oven for another 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

kabocha fries with celery ranch

The obsession has begun.

this recipe was shared with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Comments

I will probably get hate mail, but I have never jumped onto the kabocha bandwagon (or any squash) at all. I like sweet potatoes once in awhile, but other than that I have no interest in the stuff. Then again, maybe if it was prepared by someone like you who knows what they’re doing, I might just jump on that train 😉

Yes, yes and YESSSSSSS! I knew you would love it! It’s such an amazing squash. It’s just so comforting. Kinda sweet, kinda savory, dense, thick, creamy, crunchy…yeah, it covers all my favorites when it comes to food. I’m so glad you’ve joined me in the culinary kabocha adventure! Nice to have you in the club friend!

• Lynda says

I’m so glad to hear that others are in love with Kobacha squash. I ate it every day after I made it and I need to make more today:) It is just SO good….you describe it well Sarena – it has everything you want in a food :)

This looks like one of those kinds of meals/snacks that I would love. Not only because it looks easy to make but it kinda falls in that salty, tricks ya into thinkin’ you’re eating junk food foods. What is the texture of the skin after baking?

• Kristina Sloggett says

yessss… just so salty good – it makes a perfect snack. the skin is easily slice-able, bite-able after – it really softens nicely, it is definitely a hard surface and can be a challenge to cut into! once I heard it is edible though, I went for it – I suppose people do peel it?

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Anna! I am very new to kabocha, but I am loving it already – enjoy these! (and the doxies say thank you… bark)

This looks so yummy! I grew up in Japan so I am very familiar with kabocha :) I definitely need to try your buffalo celery ranch dressing — that sounds amazing!

Trackbacks