Buffalo Jack Sliders

Buffalo Jack Sliders

Buffalo Jack Sliders are a vegan pulled jackfruit alternative to everyone’s spicy favorite!

veganmofo

Aside from this stuff, buffalo flavor is my number two favorite way to spice up a recipe.

I have shared several ways to make and use a buffalo dip (that post always has an increase in views around football season), people rave about my caramelized onion buffalo tarts, and I top everything from pizza to salads with this tangy hot sauce.

Saturday’s lunch was all about the buffalo sauce – and I finally cooked with jack fruit.

Pulled Buffalo Jack Sliders

I have enjoyed jack fruit many times, usually prepared in the “pulled” fashion, like a chicken or pork. In fact, it is strangely similar to chicken in looks. Having never been a chicken fan, I am happy to say that is where the similarities end.

I loved this. Jason loved this. I think many will love it, no matter their food preferences. I cannot wait to make this for a group – without saying what it is, as is my standard stealth way.

A swipe of cool celery ranch on a soft warm bun, a sprinkle of celery over a hearty serving of buffalo jack – what’s not to like?

Buffalo Jack Sliders

buffalo jack fruit filling

YIELD: four servings

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 20 ounce can young jack fruit in water
1/3 to 1/2 cup Franks Hot Sauce*
3 tablespoons cream cheese (dairy, soy free)
2 stalks celery, diced

INSTRUCTIONS:

*Adjust according to heat preference

Drain jack fruit, place in large bowl. Using two forks, shred jack fruit into smaller pieces (or chop with knife). In pan over medium heat, combine shredded jack fruit with hot sauce, stirring to coat completely.

When heated through, add cream cheese and most of the celery (reserving some for garnish). Stir to incorporate melting cream cheese.

Serving suggestion: on a bun or slider, over quinoa or rice, in a wrap with lettuce and beans, over a crisp salad.

Buffalo JackFruit Sliders

For me, this is the real thing.

Comments

I keep hearing about jackfruit, but I’ve never eaten it yet! I think this may have to happen soon. Hot sauce, cream cheese, and crispy celery sound like they’d make a perfect sandwich. Of course, I’m the only one who voluntarily eats anything resembling cream cheese at our house…so I’ll get to eat it all myself! Yay!

This looks great – and so easy! So far I’ve only had jackfruit fritters, and I wasn’t a big fan of the fried coating on that particular version, so this what will have to be next. Can’t wait to try it….

I love ripe jackfruit (it’s a regular summer fruit in South India)! But since I was a vegetarian all my life before turning vegan, I’ve never been a fan of the unripe jackfruit because it looks so similar to meat. haha But your sliders look and sound so yum!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I was kinda weirded out by the texture too – how similar it is to meat. I have so many ideas for this though, I quickly recovered! :)

4. Sue B says

I am in love with jackfruit! It’s texture is fabulous for all things chicken or pork!! So far my fave is a cherry chicken salad I’ve made with it. Yum.
    I use jackfruit in brine(because I can never find it in water). I’ve foun it in Asian markets.

5. Leigh says

Where are you all finding the jack fruit? I just called my local Whole Foods and they don’t carry it, fresh or canned.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Leigh! I get mine at the Asian market – we have a few here in Portland and two that I regularly shop in carry the canned – in water, brine or syrup.

Like most others have commented, I’ve never tried it either. I was very surprised at the texture looking so similar to chicken. Since I’ve never seen it before maybe next time you make a recipe with it you can take a “before” shot showing just the jackfruit. I still can’t believe that’s not chicken! Thanks so much for sharing, now…to “google” JACKFRUIT. 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

Holly, I usually purchase the canned, although I have used fresh sometimes too. for photos of the canned stuff prior to shredding, Winged Snail has some great shots: Canned Jackfruit in Brine … you can find it in most Asian stores, if you have one of those nearby.