buffalo jack sliders

in Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan, Vegan MoFo

buffalo jack sliders

veganmofo

Aside from this stuff, buffalo flavor is my number two favorite way to spice up a recipe.

I have shared several ways to make and use a buffalo dip (that post always has an increase in views around football season), people rave about my caramelized onion buffalo tarts, and I top everything from pizza to salads with this tangy hot sauce.

Saturday’s lunch was all about the buffalo sauce – and I finally cooked with jack fruit.

pulled jack fruit

I have enjoyed jack fruit many times, usually prepared in the “pulled” fashion, like a chicken or pork. In fact, it is strangely similar to chicken in looks. Having never been a chicken fan, I am happy to say that is where the similarities end.

I loved this. Jason loved this. I think many will love it, no matter their food preferences. I cannot wait to make this for a group – without saying what it is, as is my standard stealth way.

A swipe of cool celery ranch on a soft warm bun, a sprinkle of celery over a hearty serving of buffalo jack – what’s not to like?

vegan buffalo "chicken"

buffalo jack fruit filling

YIELD: four servings

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 20 ounce can young jack fruit in water
1/3 to 1/2 cup Franks Hot Sauce*
3 tablespoons cream cheese (dairy, soy free)
2 stalks celery, diced

INSTRUCTIONS:

*Adjust according to heat preference

Drain jack fruit, place in large bowl. Using two forks, shred jack fruit into smaller pieces (or chop with knife). In pan over medium heat, combine shredded jack fruit with hot sauce, stirring to coat completely.

When heated through, add cream cheese and most of the celery (reserving some for garnish). Stir to incorporate melting cream cheese.

Serving suggestion: on a bun or slider, over quinoa or rice, in a wrap with lettuce and beans, over a crisp salad.

buffalo jack fruit sliders

For me, this is the real thing.

this recipe was shared with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 9, 2013 at 6:24 am

I’ve never tried jackfruit. Just had someone mention finding it at an Asian store IN a can. I was always trying to look for the actual fruit itself. This sounds fantastic (as always).

2 Eileen September 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

I keep hearing about jackfruit, but I’ve never eaten it yet! I think this may have to happen soon. Hot sauce, cream cheese, and crispy celery sound like they’d make a perfect sandwich. Of course, I’m the only one who voluntarily eats anything resembling cream cheese at our house…so I’ll get to eat it all myself! Yay!

3 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 9, 2013 at 10:57 am

I never liked chicken either, but I love jackfruit. I haven’t ever seen it to buy it, but I’ve had it several times eating out and I love the texture. Amazing stuff!

4 Bianca- Vegan Crunk September 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

YUM!! I don’t eat nearly enough jackfruit in my life. And buffalo is the best flavor ever!

5 Debbie @ Live from La Quinta September 9, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Well, I’ve used my last can of Jackfruit, time to stock up (now that I’ve found a local source :-) ). This sounds so good. I admit that I will randomly switch up buffalo sauce and sriracha. They both work for me!

6 Kelli September 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm

This looks great – and so easy! So far I’ve only had jackfruit fritters, and I wasn’t a big fan of the fried coating on that particular version, so this what will have to be next. Can’t wait to try it….

7 India September 10, 2013 at 12:53 am

jackfruit is a magic fruit. I love jackfruit sliders. I made jackfruit lettuce tacos before. So good.

8 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 10, 2013 at 10:36 am

This sounds amazing! Ok, I really want to try the jack fruit, but I’m scared. I trust you though! I’m making this!

9 Kristina Sloggett September 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm

you should – it’s tasty… I know you guys eat meat, but this is crazy good :)

10 Susmitha - Veganosaurus September 10, 2013 at 11:22 am

I love ripe jackfruit (it’s a regular summer fruit in South India)! But since I was a vegetarian all my life before turning vegan, I’ve never been a fan of the unripe jackfruit because it looks so similar to meat. haha But your sliders look and sound so yum!

11 Kristina Sloggett September 11, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I was kinda weirded out by the texture too – how similar it is to meat. I have so many ideas for this though, I quickly recovered! :)

12 Sue B September 12, 2013 at 10:46 am

I am in love with jackfruit! It’s texture is fabulous for all things chicken or pork!! So far my fave is a cherry chicken salad I’ve made with it. Yum.
I use jackfruit in brine(because I can never find it in water). I’ve foun it in Asian markets.

13 Lisa September 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I just tried jackfruit for the first time tonight-SO IN LOVE!!!

14 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} September 13, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I have to find jackfruit! I see so many amazing looking recipes using it. Next time I visit my mom I will have to look for it, no luck in my rural town.

Anything with Buffalo sauce is a winner in my world!

15 Leigh November 5, 2013 at 11:41 am

Where are you all finding the jack fruit? I just called my local Whole Foods and they don’t carry it, fresh or canned.

16 Kristina Sloggett November 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm

hi Leigh! I get mine at the Asian market – we have a few here in Portland and two that I regularly shop in carry the canned – in water, brine or syrup.