goodbye

Monday evening, while listening to M*A*S*H, Dad peacefully slipped away.

In this week I have been shown an overwhelming amount of thoughtfulness and support – I will share some of this later. I have experienced laughter through tears and unbearable sadness as I spend time with those who loved him dearly. So many memories to share and treasure.

I miss his one of a kind humor, his bright happy smile. I keep with me his interminable strength and gentle stubbornness. His love for classic cars, loud music and wine.

Until we take him back ‘home’ to Hawaii, this is how I am remembering Dad:

hula dancing in Hawaii

Keep dancing, Dad – your joyful spirit lives on.

Comments

Oh friend, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. You are such an amazing soul and while I’m sad for your loss, I am so happy that you were able to have the time you did with your dad. I love you and am always here for you. I’m sending so many virtual hugs to you. xoxox

Friend, I am so so very sorry for your loss. what a beautiful, simply stated tribute. We are all here for you virtually, sending our love and support. XOXO.

3. Jess says

Your father was an incredible soul — a soul that very clearly lives on brightly in you. Sending you much love as you grieve for your beloved father. xoxo

4. Loanna Overcash says

I am very sorry for your loss. Have been following your blog for a while now and my heart aches for you.

{{{HUGS}}} to you Kristina.
    I lost my father last year…I cry less now and smile more when I remember him. Give your grief lots of time…the love he left in your heart will shine through it more and more. You are an enduring legacy of his goodness. Blessed be.
    {{{HUGS}}} whenever you need them. :)

6. Teena says

Did I almost cry? Yes… I really almost did. My heart is sad. It feels strange since I’ve never met you but as an avid reader of your blog I feel a connection to you. Hugs to you and your family. I’m sure Heaven is rejoicing as it celebrates the arrival of their newest angel.

I’m so sorry to hear your sad news. I love those pictures- what lovely memories! It’s definitely important to think of all the good times right now.

8. barb says

One of my favorite comments…” Let us not mourn the absence of the flame..but celebrate how brightly that it burned! Hugs

Growing up, my father used to rewind the movie “Grease” to repeat this line until it was grilled into our little ears:
    The only man a girl can depend on is her daddy.
    Sounds like you were lucky enough to understand the meaning. Sending you nothing but my heart over this comment.

10. jacquie says

i’m so sorry for your loss. he sounds like a wonderful person who had a huge role in your life. I’m glad you had each other and your relationship for as long as you did. my those memories provide at least a little ray of light and comfort to you in this dark time.

11. oh Holland says

I’m new to your blog Kristina so didn’t know anything about you except for tahini fudge. Nonetheless, reading about your dear Dad made me cry. I’m sure he was a remarkable man. My deep sympathy to you and all who love him.

So very sorry for your loss Kristina; my dad is in the hospital and may be gone soon…I can almost feel your sorrow but I know also the relief of letting them go when it’s their time. Take good care; I’ll be thinking of you.

I’m so sorry to hear that your dad left us this week, but I am sure that he couldn’t have asked for a better daughter to make his time on this earth wonderful. I’m praying for you and I am here if you need anyone to talk to!

I’m so sorry that your time with your father here has passed ~ but what wonderful memories you have of him, and had right up to the end. Those are terrific photos ~ I’m sure he’s happy to know that you remember him so joyfully. My thoughts are with you xx

I’ve been praying and praying! So sorry for your loss friend. But i am so glad yiu have been able to be by his side all these months. He felt that love.
    May you keep dancing in his honor. Love you!

Kristina, I am so, so sorry to hear your sad news. Sending you a huge hug and special thoughts during this difficult time. xoxo

My profound condolences… having lost my Dad 9 years ago, I know the pain is sharp at first but then gives place to sweet, endless memories

Your Dad sounds like a fantastic man, and your tribute to him very touching.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Your devotion to your dad’s happiness and wellbeing has been an inspiration to witness. Sending you my love and hugs + prayers for peace and comfort to get through this time. Love you!

Kristina, I am so so sorry to hear about your father. If there’s anything I can do for you, please don’t hesitate to let me know. My thoughts are with you and your family.

20. Mardi says

Tears are in my eyes and heart for you. So sorry. Pain is a direct mirror of joy. If your pain is great then I know your joy was great and for that you can be so grateful.

We don’t know you personally but we know your sweetness and your spirit. So sorry for your pain.

I just stumbled across your blog and this post. I’m glad I did. This is a beautiful goodbye to your father. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am so sorry for your loss.

Clare Golemon

22. Lora @cakeduchess says

I love that you were so close to your dad. I feel your pain and I know the loss is so difficult to go through. I’m so sorry for your loss, Kristina. I’m here for you always. Lots of love.Lots of hugs. xoxo

With deepest sympathy.

A poem says, “When a friend leaves there is an empty space
    that can not be filled with all the water of the oceans”
    I experience it last year… My friend and I became so close, like a couple of sisters. Perhaps sounds strange for you, but I talk to her every single day. I do feel her presence, in spirit. Like when Jesus died and stayed with his disciples for a while. For a year, I have being filling that empty space with the fun memories we share. Really, I feel my friend comforts me a lot. Some people told me that a person leaves the body but they stay with us.
    Always remember the good family times. That is something that nobody can take away from you.

24. bitt says

so sorry for your loss. how heartbreaking. i can tell how much he meant to you by your posts about him. and that you were a special daughter.

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is never easy. Thank you for sharing your dad with us. I wish my mom has died peacefully listening to MASH…she loved that show. Hugs and strength and hopefully some peace to you. Even over a decade later I pick up the phone to call my mom. They never stop being a part of our lives. I am so glad you have people to share memories of him. My deepest sympathies.

Beautiful pictures Kristina!! I know I never got to meet him IRL, but somehow I really felt like I knew him through you. Thoughts of him flash through my head almost every day, and I am positively certain that he is dancing!! All my love to you….

Trackbacks