vanilla breve latte ice cream

in Dessert, Gluten Free, Meatless Monday, recipes, Vegan

Vanilla Breve Latte Ice Cream

I learned to make ice cream at a very young age. The kind of ice cream you make with ice and rock salt and an old-timey wood bucket with a hand crank. I looked forward to it every summer.

We made ice cream every summer at our huge family picnic. The whole family would converge on great grandma’s land out in the country. While my brother would run off to grandma’s go-cart tracks that wound through her back yard, I would get in the car with Uncle Dudley and run to the store for rock salt and ice.

One of my favorite traditions.

I still wonder what became of that old ice cream maker. I still remember the rich creamy vanilla flavor of that ice cream – the best ice cream I have ever had.

Breve Latte Ice Cream

This one? Honestly a contender for a close second to that hand cranked, handmade, Uncle Dudley ice cream.

Vanilla breve latte ice cream is a three ingredient ice cream. It is very easy to make. It is dreamy good. Incredibly smooth and sweetly flavored.

One of the ingredients is espresso coffee, so we could have it for breakfast, right?

Right?

Vanilla Latte Ice Cream

vanilla breve latte ice cream

YIELD: ~two pints ice cream

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
2 1/2 cups Barista Style French Vanilla Creamer (So Delicious)
3 teaspoons instant coffee granules

INSTRUCTIONS:

In high-speed blender, blend cashews and creamer several minutes, until smooth. Add coffee, blend.

Pour into ice cream maker, proceed with manufacturer instruction (this churned for 20 minutes in my Cuisinart).

Store in covered freezer safe container.

Coffee Ice Cream

Today’s Meatless Monday ingredient is instant coffee. Visit Heather for more!

MMAZ

this recipe was shared with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Abby August 5, 2013 at 4:15 am

Ooh. Yum. I have to admit that I’ve been craving ice cream lately but don’t have an ice cream maker. I wish we had a vegan soft serve option locally, but we don’t. I miss the soft serve. However, if I had to go with hard ice cream, this vanilla looks just perfect (with maybe a few Oreo or Health pieces thrown in? ) ;)

2 Kristina Sloggett August 5, 2013 at 9:46 pm

When I was asking Jason what I should add to this, we talked about almond pieces, chocolate, (why didn’t I think of Oreo?!?), but we ended up keeping it simple, with the thought that we could add in later! unlimited possibilities! (now including Oreos…)

3 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) August 5, 2013 at 4:40 am

I made ice cream the “old fashioned” way one time at a summer camp — so much work (compared to ice cream makers) but a really neat experience! I’m loving the thought of this ice cream, and would gladly enjoy a cone for breakfast. ;)

4 Kristina Sloggett August 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm

yep, a lot of hard work but such a sweet reward! and it is fun! thanks for not making me the only one that thinks this is an acceptable breakfast… ;)

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 5, 2013 at 7:48 am

You know what I want to do with this? I want to get a doughnut, cut it in half, fill it with ice cream, and make one amazing breakfast ice cream sandwich. Maybe with some (vegan) bacon bits.

6 Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! August 5, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I’m loving this idea! Would you share a bite with me, Laura? ha ha :)

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 5, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I thought Kristina was going to make it and invited us for a dinner party? ;)

8 Kristina Sloggett August 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm

haa haa, YES – this I will do! #WishfulThinking

9 Kristina Sloggett August 5, 2013 at 9:38 pm

you? genius.

10 Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff August 5, 2013 at 10:08 am

I knew when I saw the pic that this would be yours! :) I know cashews make great sauces but never thought to use em to make ice cream. I’m pinning this right now and making it this week! :)

11 Kristina Sloggett August 5, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Lauren, you are going to LOVE cashews in ice cream – the result is SO super creamy, I LOVE it!

(and thanks for saying so – I love hearing when people can recognize my photos!)

12 Heather @ Better With Veggies August 5, 2013 at 10:54 am

We used the same espresso granules – we actually already had some in the pantry for some reason! :) And I love Laura’s idea for an ice cream & donut sandwich – THAT would be awesome. I actually tried to make donuts (twice) yesterday and both were massive fails. I was trying hard for gluten free & obviously don’t have that down quite yet. :)

13 Kristina Sloggett August 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm

those are my favorite kind – I always have them (I have this recent *thing* with instant coffee…)

14 Jessica @ Floptimism August 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Hello! I write a weekly post on my blog called the Weekend Wrap-Up, where I share some of my favorite web finds from the past week. I absolutely loved this recipe for latte “ice cream” using just cashews, and featured it in this week’s post! I wanted to thank you for such a great idea and have included the link to the wrap-up in case you’re interested. Enjoy your weekend!