palm heart mac and cheese

in Dinner,Gluten Free,Meatless Monday,recipes,Vegan

palm heart mac and cheese

I have had a mac and cheese idea in my head for a while.

This is not it, but it is a variation on the recipe I have not even tried yet.

Now I am even more interested in playing with my original idea. Don’t worry, you all will be the first to know all about it.

heart of palm mac and cheese

Palm hearts have a tangy flavor, and while it is almost overshadowed by the other flavors here, you can detect it. I like that tang.

This is a unique take on the typical plant based mac and cheese, which we all know is different from traditional mac and cheese. You all know I love my dairy free cheeses and a cheese sauce made from a melty cheese is phenomenal, I cannot deny. I do also love this type of sauce, and the flavors here are complex.

vegan mac and cheese

palm heart mac and cheese

YIELD: four servings

dairy, egg, oil and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

8 ounces gluten free macaroni pasta
1 can palm hearts, drained
1 small shallot, peeled and minced
1/4 – 1/3 cup So Delicious cashew milk (or dairy free milk of choice)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons tamari
juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
sea salt and black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:

Cook macaroni pasta – bring large saucepan of water to boil, add pasta. Stirring occasionally, cook pasta 8-11 minutes, testing after 8 minutes for desired texture. Drain and return to saucepan.

In food processor, add palm hearts, shallot, milk, and tahini, combine until smooth. Add tamari, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, blend until smooth (one to two minutes). Pour over cooked macaroni pasta, stir to combine.

dairy free mac and cheese

It’s Meatless Monday – visit Heather to get to the heart of the palm:

Meatless Monday recipes

1 Abby July 29, 2013 at 4:16 am

You’re such a tease, as we don’t have that coconut milk around here yet (then again, I probably wouldn’t cook anyway, so what am I complaining about?) I also love hearts of palm but save them for a special treat, as they’re rather expensive. I guess my point is that this looks delicious, so you need to come to my house and create it for me. OK? Okay.

2 the 3volution of j3nn July 29, 2013 at 4:21 am

That looks so creamy and delicious! A little breadcrumb crunch on top might take it to another level.

3 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen July 29, 2013 at 4:35 am

Wow. I NEVER would have thought…

Another day in which your culinary creativity and genius overwhelm me with ideas.

4 Miz July 29, 2013 at 5:12 am

I have no idea how you consistently come up with these amazing recipes…

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 29, 2013 at 5:21 am

This looks and sounds fantastic. Just pinned to my ever-growing recipe to try list ;-)

6 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 29, 2013 at 7:58 am

Ohhhh… iiiinteresting. I bet it added a great texture. This may be a way I could love hearts of palm (I don’t dislike them, but don’t love ‘em either).

7 Kristen July 29, 2013 at 8:06 am

This is just so great – and creative! Love it!

8 meri July 29, 2013 at 8:33 am

I have had an obsession with hearts of palm for several years, yet no one else I know ever eats them. I love their flavor and texture, and frequently eat them with melted cheese and/or mustard type sauces, so I’m surprised I never combined it into a mac and cheese before. Looks yummy! I”m curious about your recipe, I might have to give it a try or invent my own version! Glad to hear there are other fans of the HOP out there (I think they need an abbreviation, don’t you?)

9 Eileen July 29, 2013 at 10:26 am

I would never have thought to use hearts of palm in a sauce like this! Super interesting. We usually use them in a salad: crispy lettuce topped with hearts of palm and roasted red pepper, with a tangy vinaigrette. I wonder if roasted red pepper would be good addition to this sauce too?

10 Heather @ Better With Veggies July 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

So Delicious makes a cashew milk? How have I missed that one?! I love that you used the HOP in the mix itself, I bet this does taste amazing!

11 Kait @ ChickadeeSays July 29, 2013 at 3:20 pm

You, darling, are a genius. This looks SO delicious!

xx Kait

12 jessie August 14, 2013 at 6:18 pm

this was amazing! i just found this website tonight and bookmarked this recipe as soon as i found it! then–i realized i had everything needed to make it, and it WAS ON. this is so incredibly good–made a double batch to freeze for school lunches.

so glad i discovered spabettie!

13 Kristina Sloggett August 16, 2013 at 9:23 am

THANK YOU JESSIE! comments like this one make my day – so happy you like the palm heart mac and happy you found spabettie too!

14 Katie @ Produce on Parade August 19, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Interesting! I can’t wait to try this :)