Grilled Cabbage Salad with Buffalo Celery Ranch

Grilled Cabbage Salad with Buffalo Celery Ranch – grilling brings a smoky flavor to your veggies – grilled cabbage pairs great with a spicy – cool ranch dressing!

Grilled Cabbage Salad with Buffalo Celery Ranch

We had pre-funked all week with margaritas and enchiladas and margaritas, so when Cinco de Mayo rolled around, what do you think we served yesterday for our little shindig?

Hummus and olives and pickled veggies and hot peppers. A big ol’ mess of it – it was a deliciously beautiful spread – a Mediterranean antipasti feast.

…and I did not get one photo.

I enjoyed my Sunday. Did you?

Saturday we grilled.

Look at this:

Grilled Cabbage Salad with Buffalo Celery Ranch

When I was thinking how to prepare my cabbage last week, I considered grilling it. We love grilled romaine around here – platters of it have disappeared at pool parties (I can still see my old boss walking around my deck making everyone try a leaf…). We ended up not grilling last week, but I was left wondering how grilled cabbage would taste. I had a very specific idea of how I would hope it would turn out…

Lindsey from Pas de Deux did grill cabbage last week – and her recipe is what I chose to recreate for round two of cabbage week.

Grilled Cabbage Salad with Buffalo Celery Ranch

Grilled Cabbage Salad with Buffalo Celery Ranch

I dressed mine differently, and sorta ripped the wedges up into this big beautiful grilled pile, and it was fantastic and exactly what I had hoped it would be. I added some buffalo sauce (Franks Red Hot) to my celery ranch dressing, and topped the salad with cashews for crunch. A simple and unique salad.

To see Lindsey’s version, visit her here.

Grilled Cabbage Salad with Buffalo Celery Ranch

Ha, you obviously can’t get enough of margaritas! 😀

It’s *finally* getting warmer over here, and I can see the BBQ on the horizon! The idea to put cabbage on the grill is wonderful, I’ll try that out for sure!

• Kristina Sloggett says

right? I was done with Mexican food by the time it rolled around. blogger publishing problems.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I’m so glad you did it, so I knew it would be good! it turned out exactly as I imagined… cheers!

Considering how much I obsessively love roasted cabbage, I can only imagine how delicious it is grilled. I have been wanting to grill Romaine forever as well.

If only I had a grill upon which to perform these feats of culinary greatness.

• Kristina Sloggett says

we’ve been loving grilled romaine for years – now cabbage may be our new fave (stays crunchier!).

I’m fairly certain I could eat most any veggie grilled on a BBQ :) Haven’t tried cabbage yet, but I have really been wanting to do arugula since I saw it done on the Food Network.

Adding this to my list for the week!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know, I do too (in fact, right now I have two open bottles in the fridge! no idea how that happened…) 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

hee hee, I know, who’da thunk it? turns out, it is REALLY good grilled!

and you know me, cashews on nearly everything. 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

well, you know Shirley – us bloggers have to make holiday recipes ahead of time, right? 😉 by the holiday, we were ready for another kind of food! 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

I hope you like it, Maureen – I have had several positive reports back already. it is a thinner consistency (which I prefer) but pretty darn good!

4. Barbara says

Question….do you drizzle the cabbage with oil before you place on the grill? This looks awesome and I’d like to try to make it.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Barbara – yes I did – I actually use coconut oil for pretty much everything, so I brushed it on before grilling. (you can easily drizzle any oil you like). and watch them, they do not take long! enjoy!

I can relate–I totally got no pictures of anything this weekend! (This was actually not that great since 1. my camera battery ran out at 2. a family wedding. But it’s ok.) But grilled cabbage is such a fantastic idea! I can just imagine all the smoky flavors with the crunch of cabbage…yay!

• Kristina Sloggett says

oops, weddings are when you want the photos! that’s okay, you got to relax and truly enjoy, right?

and yes – the smoky grilled flavor with the crunchy cabbage – SO good!

• Kristina Sloggett says

we’ve loved grilled romaine for years – never thought to try another type, so glad I did!