cool coconut cabbage slaw [for spicy tacos]

in Dinner, Gluten Free, Meatless Monday, recipes, Vegan

cool coconut cabbage slaw

…or coconut cabbage salad. because I ate a whole bowl of this as a salad.

Today is the beginning of cabbage recipes for Meatless Monday, and I bring you something so easy yet So Delicious.

You could make this an entree salad by adding other veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli) and some protein (beans, spinach, tofu, tempeh).

…or you can fill your tacos with it. When they are super spicy tacos like these, the cool of this slaw balances perfectly.

The taco filling? Coming soon!

cool coconut cabbage slaw

cool coconut cabbage slaw

dairy, egg, mayo and gluten free, vegan

3 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
1 head cabbage
3/4 cup coconut (large flake), divided

In large mixing bowl, combine vinegars and coconut milk. Set aside.

Chop ‘root’ away from cabbage, discard. Slice and chop cabbage to bite size pieces. Add cabbage and 1/2 cup coconut flake, toss to coat with coconut vinegar mixture.

Transfer to serving bowl and top with remaining 1/4 cup coconut flake.

Place in refrigerator to cool.

cool coconut cabbage slaw

my two other cabbage recipes:

cashew cabbage crunch salad

cashew cabbage crunch salad

tempeh edamame salad rolls with ginger sesame sauce

Visit Heather for this weeks cabbage recipes:

MMAZ

1 Abby April 29, 2013 at 11:20 am

I guess I really need to get on the cabbage train, as I’m seeing recipes for it everywhere I look. While I don’t like coconut–it tastes like suntan lotions smells–I’m sure I could find an easy way to figure out how to use it!

2 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 29, 2013 at 2:57 pm

The cabbgae looks awesome… but I am REALLY curious about the filling! Is is some sort of seitan?

3 Melissa @ Food and Loathing April 29, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Nice, a slaw recipe without any mayo! I don’t usually keep vegan mayo on hand. Those tempeh rolls sound amazing.

4 Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel April 29, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Oooooh! Coconut slaw sounds amazing… and I am totally curious to find out what’s in those tacos!

5 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) April 30, 2013 at 6:37 am

I always despised coleslaw, since I disliked cabbage but I’m thinking that my grown-up taste buds might warrant I give it another go with this recipe. I mean, if there’s coconut involved, how can it not be good? ;)

6 Roz@weightingfor50 April 30, 2013 at 11:33 am

OOOOH….this looks fantastic. So unique, and so tasty. All the best Kris.

7 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I make my slaw with vinegar so it’s not creamy (ick to mayo), but I love the idea of adding coconut milk. And yay, I can’t wait for tacos!

8 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 30, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I’m a HUGE cabbage fan, but oddly, I don’t really buy red cabbage often. This looks and sounds perfect! You had me at “it goes well with spicy”!

9 Heather @ Better With Veggies May 1, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I have so much extra cabbage in the fridge and this looks delicious!!

10 Kristina Sloggett May 8, 2013 at 11:47 am
11 Kate@Diethood May 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm

So, that’s what I can do with red cabbage?! Oh my, that is awesome! Fab idea!!!

12 Kristina Sloggett May 8, 2013 at 11:46 am

it was really good! :)

13 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 3, 2013 at 5:37 am

I love that we were both channeling the coconut this week for MMAZ. Maybe instead of dancing around the kitchen singing ‘Put the lime in the coconut’ we should sing ‘Put the cabbage in the coconut’?

14 Kristina Sloggett May 8, 2013 at 11:44 am

that was pretty funny, our slaws so similar. we like what we like, right?