salted double chocolate chili cookies

salted double chocolate chili cookies

I just want to take a minute to declare how lucky I am.

I can turn on the news, log into facebook, pay attention to current events in any way, I am reminded of my privileges. My health concerns pale in comparison to some, my freedoms are many, and when things are less than stellar I have wealth in friends and loved ones at my side.

I try to show this gratitude each and every day.

I also appreciate awareness. Lately I have been putting things off, so to speak. A friend wants to take a vacation somewhere, I say I cannot possibly leave town right now (okay, this I am actually kind of firm on – not going anywhere in the near future). We have “vague” plans to go bowling with my parents, I have “vague” plans to get together with my mom – both get put off each week. Another friend wants to get together for lunch, saying “whenever you are free” knowing my schedule – this still has not happened. I have more instances just like these, and I am suddenly aware I am living on the wrong side of one of my favorite quotes:

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Beginning today, I am attempting balance. I will say yes to more, I will enjoy more, and I will do this while making the same amount of time for Dad – spending precious time with him and managing his life right now.

I will do this for me.

salted double chocolate chili cookies

I love salted sweets.

I love spicy sweets.

When I saw this genius cookie recipe over at Local Milk, I busted a move to the kitchen tout de suite.

I made these cookies vegan and gluten free – equal amounts gluten free all purpose flour and sweet rice flour (3/4 cup each, plus 3/8 teaspoon xanthan gum), coconut oil in place of butter, and flax + water in place of eggs. I also threw in another big ol’ handful of dark chocolate chips. Swoon.

…and because my version is egg free, I may have eaten a bunch one or two of these before they hit the oven:

salted double chocolate chili cookies

So dang good.

salted double chocolate chili cookies

To see this recipe, visit Local Milk here.

salted double chocolate chili cookies

Are you a sweet and salty and spicy fan? (If so, you need these cookies).

What are you grateful for today?

Comments

Friend you have no idea how much this speaks to me today. I feel so very much the same way. I’ve had my problems, but I realize how minor they are when I look around at others. For the most part, I have my health, I can run, I have my parents, my sister and a husband who I adore. I don’t have 100s of friends, but I have some very very dear ones who are always there. But, I tend to do the same thing about making vague plans. I want to get to my hometown more often, I want to make plans to go out or visit friends during the week. But I get so caught up in not letting go of my time. Selfish right? Then I forget to just enjoy. Just enjoy.

• Kristina Sloggett says

with that friend thing, it is definitely QUALITY over quantity that matters. and yeah – the vague plans, Jason and I have so many! we just need to actually put some of these plans into motion – after all, LIFE is what happens while we’re busy making plans, right? πŸ˜‰ XXO

• Kristina Sloggett says

it isn’t always easy, is it Jamie? I definitely need to work on it, even if it’s small at first – too much booked on the calendar overwhelms me, so baby steps! πŸ˜‰

Gosh I love your perspective and how your mind works — in spite of ALL you are in the throes of right now too. It’s just such a beautiful reminder that EVERY moment in life is precious and worth showing gratitude for. Thank you for that reminder my friend, I heart you!

• Kristina Sloggett says

it really is worth it, all of it. not always easy, but that’s a human response, and sometimes needed. it’s how long we ‘dwell’ before bouncing back that makes a difference. thank YOU. XXO

I’m kind of going through a rough patch that in no way compares to your situation, but a rough patch that’s affecting me, nonetheless. This post was a gentle reminder that I needed to hear, as it’s easy to get stuck in my head. Thank you for being one of the “good ones” I have in my life πŸ˜‰

• Kristina Sloggett says

you are welcome, and likewise – I am happy to be able to give some words that help you – as yours SO OFTEN help me! I am sorry you are having a rough time – you know how to find me more privately if I can lend an ear… XO

These cookies look amazing and this post is amazing! Such a wonderful sentiment that I try to live by daily. Enjoying life to it’s fullest and taking everything in, acknowledging it all, taking nothing for granted. Every day I try to acknowledge the immense amount of gratitude I have for my life and for all that I have. Some days that may be harder than others, but it is always worth it!

• Kristina Sloggett says

it IS always worth it – I love that you get this and it comes as no surprise that you already acknowledge your gratitude! XO

Love this entire post and the quote you shared.

I always have trouble deciding between the lindt chili chocolate bar or the sea salt one. These completely solve that problem – running to the kitchen now.

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh, see? I know what you mean (and I’d be likely to buy them both and enjoy pieces of each, together…) πŸ˜‰

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh I hope so, Bianca! :) I really need to change that, really. I know when I have too many things going on I get overwhelmed looking ahead, but I do need to make more concrete plans. For my friends/family AND for me! XO

Do for you. YES! No waiting, just do. Follow your heart and your gut, and prioritize YOU. No apologies. I love this message, friend! AND these cookies!! open your etsy shoppp πŸ˜‰

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know, I know… I really need to huh? I should really look into a commercial kitchen space…

1. I have never read your blog before, but I LOVED everything you wrote.
    2. I am insanely jealous of your cookie stacking abilities.
    3. These look ridiculously good, and I would eat that entire stack.
    4. I have a dachshund too!!
    5. So pretty much I’ve decided we’re twins, except you got the cookie stacking gene.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hello Ari! I loved everything about this comment, especially that it is in list form πŸ˜‰ I just clicked over and saw sweet Clementine – awww, SO CUTE. she has the sweetest face. Winston is a cutie too – I have always loved Jacks. I have left your page open in a tab, I will be over later to lurk around and see all these twin similarities we have :)

I read your post about the cheesy waffles before I looked at these dark chocolate and delicious cookies as I’m catching up with my favorite blogs with morning. I have to say I can relate. I hesitated on taking any trips after I went to visit family back East a few months ago, but finally cracked to a friend and signed up to run a half marathon in none other than Portland next month! It’s part of my goal to live life a little bit more and try to have fun, stay active and experience rather than hitting the pause button a few too many times because of worry. Thanks for the words and the recipes lately! You thinking about your new move in life is just helping to put those words in motion (and eat delicious things along the way)! :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Abbie, so happy my words provided some inspiration! are you running the Rock n Roll here in Portland? I walked it last year, and time got away from me this year. I may go down to spectate!

• says

Yep, I plan to run the Rock n Roll half marathon next month! I can’t wait to visit the city, a vegan donut is on my list of foods to try! Let me know if you have any other suggestions of good vegan-friendly places that are a must try/visit.

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh, SO much! let’s see – Blossoming Lotus (my favorite!), Departure Restaurant (not entirely vegan but has a GREAT vegan menu, and is at the top of a building downtown with a STUNNING view!), Prasad (just… yum) and Portobello (excellent food!). there’s a start…

• says

I want to spend an extra week there just to eat and explore food coma status! Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve heard so many things about Portobello and the vegan donuts at Voodoo Donuts.

i am SO WITH YOU! Vague is my middle name. EEK! it’s because i can’t control our future and i am unsure. You are so right! be grateful that you have ability to thrive and live! Thank you friend. Love you, always!

I love that you said tout de suite. French makes me happy and so does this post. As usual, you hit the nail on the head, especially when I needed to hear it the most.
    I’m grateful for the health of my family and myself. Regardless of what happens in any given day, that’s of utmost importance and I’m grateful for ever healthy day we have with each other.

• Kristina Sloggett says

five years of French over here… I NEED to travel there so I can use it! :)

you are so right, health is such an important thing to be grateful for, and not take for granted. <3

Trackbacks