roasted red pepper goat cheese dip

in appetizers, Gluten Free, Happy Hour at Home, recipes, snacks, Vegan

roasted red pepper goat cheese dip

It is really wrong to be buying bottled soda water at the store when I have a soda machine at home, right?

The other day I said to Jason “I am not responsible enough to own a soda machine.”

What I really meant was not organized enough. We were out for lunch and shopping, and walked right by the kitchen store where I always exchange the soda machine cartridges. I knew exactly where we were going, that we’d be right there… and I forgot.

Jason said “There should be a service to do these kinds of things for us, is this a thing?” and I replied that yes, I believe this is a thing! We continued to discuss just how much we could pay someone for a set amount of hours each week, and during each week I could compile a list of things that need to be done.

Like refilling that soda machine.

roasted red pepper goat cheese dip

Then Jason said, “Yes, this kind of service is usually reserved for the infirm. Or engineers*.”

Defensively I said “and extremely busy and exhausted people!!”

*This is actually a service where Jason works. Some of the Very Important Engineers think and process at such a different level, that they “forget” or do not think of common every day tasks. They have people who “run” their lives for them, from food shopping (and stocking it in their kitchen) to running errands. I bet some of those engineers have soda machines too

See, I was taught to put a value on what my own time is worth. I obviously cannot look at all tasks this way (oh how I would love to always have someone clean my house!), but when my ‘down time’ is increasingly limited and I really just want my bathrooms cleaned and a new soda cartridge? When I don’t have time, or I’d rather spend that time with Jason, or with my Dad, maybe I can.

So last weekend I had a friend over – she wanted to make my goat cheese recipe with me. We made a double batch so she could take some home, and I later added some new flavors my batch. While I was initially going for a flavored cheese consistency, I am more than thrilled with the result and decided to call it dip.

roasted red pepper goat cheese dip

roasted red pepper goat cheese dip

dairy, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 1 1/2 cups tasty terrific bass dip

1 fresh bell pepper (red or orange), seeded/cleaned and sliced
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
1 batch vegan goat cheese (or 12-16 ounces goat cheese)
2 tablespoons capers
1 garlic clove, minced fine
sea salt and pepperĀ

In high speed blender or food processor, add peppers, goat cheese, capers and garlic, blend on high until creamy, adding water to thin as needed. Transfer to a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with veggies and crunchy toasts or crackers.

roasted red pepper goat cheese dip

Do you ever feel like you need an assistant? What would you have yours do? (I’m making a list – if it gets long enough it may be justifiable!)

My dear friend Abby and I are thinking the same way without even knowing it – here’s what she has to say about it.

1 Abby March 29, 2013 at 4:30 am

Thank you for the shout-out! As you know, I’m going to be the first in line to send my resume when you decide to hire an assistant. The good thing for you is that I’m highly vegan-food motivated, so we can totally work out a barter system–starting with this dip ;)

And I think the important point, in all seriousness, is priorities. Spending time with those you love ranks above a spotless house and perfect yard. It’s a balance, and we make time for what’s important.

2 lindsay March 29, 2013 at 5:03 am

can i get in on this? I’d rather be an assistant even though I need one myself. and i ‘d rather be your assistant.
p.s.
So with you on the soda machine. I can’t be bothered with those for that very reason.

3 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:02 am

I actually LOVE my soda machine, LOVE it – and the benefits far outweigh my inability to actually get it filled right now ;) but yeah… we have a store-bought bottle of soda in the fridge right now *sigh*

4 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:06 am

and you would be hired On The Spot, my friend!

it is good to hear people agree with my current thinking – spending time with Dad and Jason (who is also incredibly busy right now, our time is invaluable right now).

XXO

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 29, 2013 at 5:40 am

I think you absolutely deserve to splurge on someone to clean your house for you right now so you can enjoy the most important things – time with your dad and Jason. Or you just forgo the soda and clean bathrooms and make great food!

6 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:01 am

I’m seriously considering it, I like a clean house and mine is … not so much right now ;) thanks for reiterating what is actually important – as things progress with Dad, all I want to do is sit there next to him.

7 Allie March 29, 2013 at 6:30 am

Forget needing an assistant–I’d love to BE one! I love organizing things, running errands, doing odd jobs and house chores. Yup, personal assistant would sort of be my dream job. I’m an odd one. I guess I just need to find myself a wealthy engineer :) And a soda machine! I spend way too much (and use way too many plastic bottles) due to my seltzer addiction. What kind do you have? Would you recommend it?

8 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:00 am

we have one of the Soda Steams – and YES I would very highly recommend it! I do not drink flavored sodas, but I love my soda water – I drink it like water a lot, I love the bubbles. They pay for themselves in several ways fairly quickly if you are a big soda drinker – not only do they have healthier options if you actually like flavored, but it saves the bottles going to a landfill AND is cheaper than buying each bottle…

and seriously, you should look into it, there just might be opportunities for personal assistant jobs – either in a large corporation like Jasons, or privately? I can see how that would be a fun job!

9 Allie March 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, I pretty much only hydrate on plain bubbly water at home–I don’t like soda-soda or flavored waters, but I love the bubbles, and it’s such a waste to buy the individual bottles. Thanks for the review, I’ve been thinking about getting on for a while now!

And oh man, I wish I knew where to start looking! Good idea to see what large corporations are offering, I had no idea they hired personal-life-assistants!

10 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) March 29, 2013 at 6:32 am

Mmm! I don’t think you can go wrong with roasted red peppers, goat cheese, or capers, all on their own… so together, I’m sure it’s a killer dip!

11 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 6:56 am

it is SO tasty, Liz!

12 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 29, 2013 at 7:59 am

My friend that guest blogs (Kat) pays someone to grocery shop for her. I think she’s insane… but I pay someone to clean my (small) condo. :)

Love that your friend wanted to make this dip with you. I have a couple of friends that ask me to do that a lot. It’s so cute! Plus it’s fun to be in the kitchen sharing an idea with a friend.

13 Abby March 29, 2013 at 9:05 am

I actually do the grocery shopping for my mom and uncle (they physically can’t) and would LOVE to do that for a living! :)

14 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 9:14 am

I love that you do this for them (I always enjoyed doing it for my Dad when he was eating).

15 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 9:17 am

see, I understand both of these things! well, I really enjoy grocery shopping, but there have been times in my past where I have used a grocery delivery service and it is SO efficient when you are busy! and paying someone to clean my house? YES please, every time. ;)

16 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 29, 2013 at 10:15 am

The combo of goat cheese and red peppers is a favorite of mine. And, I missed the recipe for vegan goat cheese- I will definitely be checking that out!

17 Kristina Sloggett April 2, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I know, the tangy with the sorta spicy sweet just go together so well!

18 SprungAtLast March 29, 2013 at 11:05 am

Wow, two of my favorite things rolled into one … I’ve pinned this, can’t wait to try it!

19 Kristina Sloggett April 2, 2013 at 8:58 pm

enjoy!!

20 Beth @ Tasty Yummies March 29, 2013 at 11:17 am

This dip looks so amazing! I am with you, there are tasks and other things best left for a “professional” to take care of, and then your time is better spent doing what you do best. Owning our own business has made this more apparent then ever before for me, we had an assistant in NY before we moved here to CA for a lot of that stuff and it was awesome. We may have to find one again out here very soon. Something that came with our amazing new home though, that we have realized is pretty priceless: gardeners. They come by once a week and tend to EVERYTHING outside. That gives us back tons of time each week and they do a way better job than we ever could.

21 Kristina Sloggett April 2, 2013 at 8:57 pm

right? freeing you up to do what you do best… THIS is what I need!

oh, gardening and yard care YES… we DO have this because I am afraid of spiders ;)

22 jobo March 29, 2013 at 11:22 am

ha! I love that story! I don’t remember stuff when I am staring right at it sometimes!! And I want a soda stream! for seltzer water!! This dip looks amazingly good. pinning :)

23 Kristina Sloggett April 2, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I hope you make this one, it is GOOOOOD ;)

24 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 29, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I’m starting to question if Tony is an engineer trapped in an artist’s body…;)

I am, in fact, the personal assistant.

I hope you have an incredible weekend!

25 Kristina Sloggett April 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm

ha! if so, he is one of the RARE engineers with a personality, like Jason. and my Dad. okay, maybe not so rare… ;)

26 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 29, 2013 at 8:34 pm

This sounds fantastic, and I am LOVING that it is vegan! So cool :).

27 Maureen March 30, 2013 at 4:08 pm

One of the best investments I ever made was to hire an assistant. She was with me for years until we moved away. Getting the right one can boost your business and your visibility heaps. Getting the wrong one is adding more work.

I make a roasted pepper dip often but I’ve never done it like this. I look forward to giving this recipe a go this weekend.

28 Kristina Sloggett April 2, 2013 at 8:53 pm

‘getting the wrong one is adding more work’ – I do know this from my previous management positions and hiring employees – the good ones are GOLD.

29 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 30, 2013 at 8:11 pm

This dip looks fantastic. I’m loving the fresh veggies too; I’m so ready for Spring.
I’d be thrilled to have an assistant. I’d have them do the laundry, the ironing, pick up the dry cleaning, the pet food, the pharmacy trip, rsvp to invites, blog research.
I actually have a service clean the house once a month; it’s my luxury item, and it’s worth every penny because it’s one weekend a month I get to take off from cleaning. Of course, there’s all the other things still to be done, but it’s extremly helpful and allows me to relax a little.

30 Kristina Sloggett April 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I am seriously considering the house cleaning, even temporary while I am so busy… and then maybe keeping a once a month thing. and laundry, I’ll stick it in the machine, can someone just fold it and put it away?? all the random errands like you listed (plus filling the gas tanks on our cars!) too… ;)

31 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 1, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Um yeah, I am forever feeling like I need an assistant. Or maybe two. Can I get someone to run my life for me too? That would be nice.

I’ve never liked goat goat cheese, so perhaps I should give the vegan kind a try. I made vegan cheesecake with cashews this weekend and it was amazing!

32 Kristina Sloggett April 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm

you may like this… especially if you make it into a dip with the roasted peppers? mmm.

TWO assistants! now you’re talkin’…