daily fruit and veggies – Wellness Wednesday

in daily juice

fresh veggies

Getting my daily requirements of fruit and vegetables is a continual focus for me – and following a plant based diet, this is generally fairly easy to do. Some of the standard guidelines we hear include five a day for servings recommended, and fruit and vegetables should make up half the plate.

Some ways to get more fruit and veggies in your day include:

Turning a vegetable into the main entree:

plant based steak dinner

Making a salad out of fruits and vegetables:

grapefruit kale chiffonade salad

Hiding fruit or veggies inside your pancakes!

blueberry lemon pancakes

spinach pancakes

savory tomato protein pancakes

banana maca pancakes

perfect cherry pancakes

…or stuffing a waffle with greens:

tahini kale stuffed waffles

…and my all time favorite way to get extra veggies and fruit – juice:

I have completed a couple of juice and raw food cleanses, and I love them! Even when I am eating regularly, I do supplement my eats with juice – sometimes having a protein packed smoothie for breakfast or lunch. Juice and smoothies are also a convenient meal when I am busy and out running around – which seems to be most of the time again this year…

With my busy schedule, I was picking up juice at the hospital cafeteria – one that stands out among the rest to me is Naked, because they truly are 100% fruit (really, I was honestly buying it before they gave me some). 100% fruit – just like I make at home. I have my favorites among their flavors, and recently Naked gave me the opportunity to try their Mighty Mango and Strawberry Banana flavors:

Naked

While I enjoyed both, I absolutely loved the Mighty Mango! The flavor is bright and tropical, and along with an apple + peanut butter snack, kept me satisfied until lunch time. The 32 ounce bottle contains two and a half mangoes, one and one third oranges, three and two-thirds apples, three-fourths banana, and lemon – I want to make a sorbet from these flavors.

Naked

What are some of your favorite ways to get your daily fruit and vegetables?

Naked

Naked Juice is worth its weight in good! There’s a pound of fruit in every bottle.

Naked Juice has partnered with charity Wholesome Wave to improve access to fresh produce in communities across the country. You can help by visiting nakedjuice.com/gooddeeds. For every coupon downloaded, 1 LB of fresh produce will go to an under-served community, up to 100,000 pounds.

Compensation was provided by Naked Juice via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of spabettie and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Naked Juice.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 27, 2013 at 5:30 am

Jason loves those Naked juices. I think I have a veggie and/or fruit with pretty much ever single meal or snack. Sometimes Jason will want to make something for dinner and I’ll comment about the lack of veggies and he just stares at me like “are you for real, you’ve already had a daily amount for 2 people.”

2 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:37 am

ha – I know! I do this Daily Challenge thing online, and it often asks “how many days this week did you get your recommended servings of fruit + veg?”. um, ALL OF THEM! ;)

3 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 27, 2013 at 10:48 am

I tried so hard to be a juicer. I really did.

But right now, your post is really just inspiring me to be a pancake maker.

[Not that I wouldn’t love to try a Naked juice. Preferably while wearing clothes.]

4 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:30 am

I know, look at that list of pancakes! and those are just the ones that have fruit or veggies… there are more… I am trying to decide between my sweet cream protein pancakes and my double rich chocolate pancakes for the weekend… decisions, decisions…

5 Eileen March 27, 2013 at 11:16 am

Hooray for fruit and veg! I get mine all kinds of ways, but I think my favorite is just to shove chopped greens into almost every dish I make. (Well, maybe not cake, but then, that usually gets filled with fruit.) We also have a big bowl of fruit ready to eat as a dessert element after meals–I’ve been eating a couple mandarins every day for the past few months. :)

6 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:29 am

Mmm, the mandarins have been so good this year! my bowl is filled with apples… I love my apples, and eat at least one a day ;)

7 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 27, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I love juicing, and I really need to get a juicer. All this messing around with the blender cannot be the most effective way.

8 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:19 am

a blender makes a GREAT smoothie, but yes… if you want a juicer that is a whole different thing! :)

9 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies March 28, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I love Naked Juice! Mighty Mango is my favorite too. :) I haven’t done a juice cleanse myself, but I’ve been thinking about it for a while. I get so cranky without food though!

10 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:07 am

the first couple days are kinda rough, but if I can get past those (average of three…) then I am no longer cranky! in fact I feel GREAT. that Mighty Mango is so good, right? I have another one waiting for me later…