tropical mango orange smoothie – Wellness Wednesday and a Dad Update

tropical mango orange smoothie

So many of you are asking after Dad and how he is doing (and again, we are eternally grateful for all of the support) – I know I have not really updated lately. Dad went back into the hospital after losing the ability to write (and for now, the only form of communication he had); a neurosurgeon performed a nerve study and found spinal stenosis. He had another surgery, a long hospital stay, and is now recovering and rehabbing in an advanced skilled nursing center.

Next he comes back home. Then he begins chemo again, as the cancer has returned.

Dad is as positive as ever, and settling in his private room, getting to know his nurses and which ones he can be feisty with (when learning about their call button system, he kept pushing the button to see the light go on…). As always, the nurses love him, and he is rapidly improving. Yesterday I was there all day to see his speech therapy (learning to write again and eventually talking post laryngectomy), and physical therapy (he was bookin’ it down the hallway, the therapist had to tell him to slow down, although we did eventually pass a slower patient).Β I love that guy.

I am still extremely hopeful we will see the other side of all this. He deserves a break, for sure. I admire his strength and resiliency, and his positive attitude and smiles are unwavering. He is an inspiration, for sure. I love that guy.

I let him know he has fans all over the world – sending positive energy and good vibes. It makes him smile, and sometimes even teary eyed.

I love that guy.

DSC_3318

Wellness Wednesday brings me to a quick smoothie – brightly flavored and has me looking forward to warmer days and fresh fruit (and if I am honest, dreaming of an island vacation). The protein and flax stayed with me until lunch time, and the tropical fruits put a smile on my face all day. Well, that and watching Dad racing down the hall.

I love that guy.

create gif

tropical mango orange smoothie

dairy, soy and gluten free, vegan, no added sugar

serves two

11.2 ounces coconut water (small container)
1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cubed
2 oranges, peeled
3/4 cup frozen mango
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
2 tablespoons flax seed
1 tablespoon maca

Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender and enjoy!

DSC_3336

Tell me what’s new in your world. and a fun joke I can share with Dad.

Happy Wednesday!

Comments

I love that guy too and I have never met him. I am always sending my love and prayers daily. I hope he goes home soon and this round of chemo goes well for him and he stays strong. I am always thinking of you and dad <3

Love ya girl <3

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know you are, and you are SO VERY appreciated. you have been so great (tearing up as I type this – so very blessed <3) my continued hope is greatly fueled by people like you, Katie. love you!

I love that guy, too, and you in a non-creepy way. You know I’m here if you need ANYTHING at all. Anything…

Something funny? Last night at the old people’s home it was a bit rough because Gram was completely in a spell and confused times a million. However, when I asked our 90-year-old friend in the next room how he was doing, he replied, “I don’t take green bananas and I still can’t see my pecker. Other than that, I’m okay.” Love that guy πŸ˜‰

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know you are, and THANK YOU AGAIN. really.

I love this story – about the friend in the next room – it is good to have those perspectives and humor. my best to Gram <3 and you.

• Kristina Sloggett says

he doesn’t! I tell him there are people everywhere pulling for him, but he would just humbly blush if he knew he was inspiring anyone… πŸ˜‰

I feel like I know your dad and I can say I love him too! Seriously, you two have such a bond! It is inspiring and fills my heart with joy! I’m sorry to hear things have been crazy around there, but you seem to always have your chin held high with an ever growing sense of hopefullness. I’m thinking about you guys and sending big hugs to you both! xoxox

• Kristina Sloggett says

you do, I know! :) we do have a good bond, and it has only gotten stronger this last 17 months. things are crazy and then they are not – I do get some relaxed down time too. I make sure of it. whenever someone sends him a hug, I DO pass it on. I will hug him for you this morning. LOVE YOU. thank you.

• Kristina Sloggett says

indeed. I talk about this so much to all the various people in my life asking after him, I forget who knows how much, and sometimes I just want to sit and … NOT talk. Dad and I do that a lot too :)

Your dad sounds like an incredible person! I’m rooting for him and for you too, my sweet friend. Big hugs.

And yum, that looks like the perfect way to start the day!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you SO MUCH, Faith – we both really do appreciate that. and this smoothie – yes! I am drinking another one right now, while looking out into the pitch dark and listening to the HUGE frog in our pond, it’s my own little bit of bright Spring πŸ˜‰

I am impressed not only with your father’s resiliency and attitude, but yours as well. I love that guy, too, simply based on the stories you tell.

Again this orange mango pineapple combination appears on a blog…seriously. It is time for me to utilize the frozen mango in my fridge, take advantage of citrus season, and find myself a pineapple!

• Kristina Sloggett says

aww, thank you Sarah – he really is such a great guy. <3 Dad is from Hawaii, this mango and pineapple is a nod to him :)

certainly not a local thing, but the last two pineapples I bought were SO flavorful and good - I hope this trend continues... although, I don't think I have ever had a bad pineapple… πŸ˜‰

aww! Thank you for sharing these updates, I love to hear about them and offer my virtual support any way that I can! I love the idea of a funny joke or story. All I can think of is seeing M walk into the bathroom as I was drying my hair, with Kayla (the more skittish of my two kitties, but she LOVES him to death and he can do anything to her!) half upside down, bum in the air, face down, in a sumo grip sort of deal, and her face said “I think I hate you, put.me.down” but it was the cutest thing and her face was all smushy and adorable, it was too cute not to laugh πŸ˜‰ Now if that made any sense at all…:) XO

• Kristina Sloggett says

and my dad LOVES his two kitties (misses them so!), so that would DEFINITELY make sense to him!! πŸ˜€

thank you so much, my friend!

Oh yea, love these fresh smoothie ideas – this looks so good (and LOVE the graphic). Still praying for your dad, thanks for sharing an update! He’s a strong man from everything you’ve shared about him – tell him I said Hi (even though he doesn’t know me). :)

Your dad sounds like such a fighter. Best wishes for good chemo results! This smoothie looks like such a bright and cheerful way to lift your mood when things look bleak. :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you, Eileen – I wish he was able to eat right now (hopefully soon!), I would be making him fresh juice every day!

I wish that everyone could have your dad’s spririt. He sounds like the most positive optimist, ever! I LOVE that about him, even though I don’t personally know him. Good luck to you all…sending well wishes to your Dad!!! And hugs!

• Kristina Sloggett says

agreed, Kate – I wish more people had Dad’s outlook and positivity – I know it makes a big difference. thank you, we both really appreciate it! XO

Oh friend, thank you for sharing this update on your dad. I am constantly thinking of you and your family and sending prayer your way. You are SO strong for how you’re shouldering this for your family and your DAD is so strong for the fighter he clearly is. Much love to you my friend, much love.

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you Jess – SO MUCH. we both appreciate the thoughts and prayers – really, I definitely feel them, and I tell him about everyone who is pulling for him and sending their best. he always has smiles. XXO

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you Meghan – that means a lot. he really is the best, and I just want to do all I can for him. <3

11. Teena says

Why did the elephant step on the marshmallows? …so he wouldn’t fall in the cocoa! I’m not sure why I find this joke funny, hopefully you dad will to. Love from Alaska! :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

I will tell him this joke today, thank you Teena! :) (I liked it, that kind of humor is funny to me too…)

• Kristina Sloggett says

thanks Kiersten – and you’re right, he is amazing. he has been through so much and is still smiling and calm. it’s inspiring.

Thanks for the update Kris. I love that guy too….and I’ve never met him. He has a great daughter. Note just for him: Keep fighting Kris’ Dad!!!!! And here is my joke for him: 2 cannibals are eating a clown. One cannibal says to the other “does this taste funny to you?”.

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh Roz, thank you!! I cannot wait to tell him this joke today – he will like it for sure. thanks so much, I sure do appreciate you!

13. Lora @cakeduchess says

awww, Kristina. This is a sweet post. Your dad is blessed to have you and vice-versa. He reminds me of my dad…true fighters! Your dads’ positive spirit and all the love he has around him will get him through this. send you and him hugs and prayers and more hugs. xo

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you so much, Lora. I’ve been thinking of you lately, I hope you are doing well (I feel so out of touch with everyone!). We appreciate your prayers and hugs, more than you know. Well, you probably know. XO

So many people “love that guy” that surely he’s got to feel the love and get a bit better with every thought. Sending my healing thoughts too.

Is there anything better than mango? I think not.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I am overwhelmed by the love and support we are receiving from EVERYWHERE – I tell Dad he has people from all over the world pulling for him – it makes him smile big. thank you Maureen!

It is amazing how illness can show the strength and resilience that people have and I am sure your dad is demonstrating that. I am sure he appreciates your love and support!

This smoothie looks great. Mango is always great in a smoothie!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thanks, Steve – it really is amazing. one thing I have learned is that a positive attitude really does make a huge difference.

So here I am, scouring the web for some decent recipes ideas for my Mom, who I am trying desperately to adapt a vegan, gluten-free, crap-free lifestyle (as she is about to get a knee replacement), and look who I stumble on!

We have a few things in common, you and I:
    Author – check
    Champion of a healthier lifestyle – check
    Vegan, gluten-free (most of the time) – check
    Blogger – check
    Aspiring Spa Owner (we MUST talk) – check
    Probably love a few of the same people – check

It’s almost like we knew each other in a former life *sigh*

Putting the lighthearted chat aside, I am SO sorry to read all of this about your Dad. Your Dad meant so much to me, and I tried loosely to keep in touch with him over the years. So much I wish he knew.

Anyhow, it’s a bit surreal to run across this as I plan my next book & work out an anti-inflammatory menu for my Mom back in Tualatin (I’m currently visiting Key Largo, FL)

Email me! I cannot believe our paths have crossed in this manner, and I’m ever more shocked that our lives are near identical – well, minus the ‘I’m currently globe-trotting the world’ part)

-Tearei

• Kristina Sloggett says

Tearei I know we’re talking via emails now but I am catching up here and just wanted to say again how good it is to reconnect with you! I think I owe you an email – been busy this week :) talk soon, XXO!

• says

No hurry :) You know where to find me now! Hope your Dad is going well.

I grabbed a fresh mango at the fruit stand today and I’m going to give this one a try for dinner tonight, it looks delicious.

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh Kim, thank you so much – your sweet messages and thoughts mean more to us than you know, and bring me big smiles, really. I appreciate you so much!

Aww Kristina, so sorry to hear your dad is back at the hospital. Sending positive vibes his way and thinking of you and your family. Back to this smoothie, to be absolutely honest I am not a a fan of smoothies but boy I would slurp this one to the last drop. Love anything tropical and citrus.

18. Libby H says

Just stopping in from pinterest. That smoothie looks awesome. And what is that fantastic fabric under it?

I hope your journey with your dad continues to get better and better. My parents are so far from me, what a blessing that you can be near your dad, especially in this season.

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you, Libby! (the fabric is one of my cloth napkins…) :)

I am thankful every day that I am close to Dad, and able to be there for him now. (( thank you ))

Trackbacks