simply perfect vegan mac & cheese

pistachio spinach mac & cheese

The way mac & cheese should be.

Meaning, a big bowl of creamy, cheesy noodles, fresh from the pot they were just cooked in.

Not baked and topped with breadcrumbs… just simple and perfect comfort food. I made Susan Voisin’s mac and cheese she developed for her daughter, who also likes it as I do – simple. That was the first thing that interested me. The next? It has tahini – one of my favorite things ever.

spicy buffalo mac and cheese

This recipe is low fat, low sodium, and full of flavor. It comes together quickly – from prep to table in about 30 minutes. It reheats nicely – I simply stirred in a splash more milk upon reheating. I followed Susan’s recipe nearly exactly – using hemp milk rather than soy – and I absolutely love it!

spinach pistachio mac and cheese

I have made this mac and cheese several times – once adding fresh spinach and crunchy pistachios for added protein and unique flavor, which is now one of my favorite ways to top mac and cheese. Another time I buffaloed it, adding buffalo sauce, non dairy yogurt, and again for the crunch, celery.

So good, whatever you add to it! I’m positive it would even be good baked with a crumb topping, if you must…

spicy buffalo mac and cheese

How do you like your mac and cheese? Pure and creamy and uncrumbed, or baked in the oven with the crunchy topping? Have you had buffaloed your mac and cheese? What do you add to yours?

Visit Susan to see her easy vegan macaroni and cheese.

Vegan mac and cheese is the trendy thing right now as I’ve seen quite a few recipes recently, and I’m not complaining!

I like it baked a bit in the oven so it has a bit of crunch on top of creaminess with broccoli, mushrooms, etc. stirred in for extra deliciousness. Sometimes it’s good to add a bit of salsa to spice things up as well. Yum!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I LOVE adding broccoli too, and salsa sounds fantastic. I have made salsa grilled cheese, cannot recall if I have added it to mac and cheese? obviously this needs to happen.

oh em gee. I can’t even think about the last time I had mac and cheeese!! I LOVE it too and must make it. This looks ridiculous. You are awesome. as always.

Well, you’ve definitely sold me on this recipe! I may be nomming on meat these days, but this sounds WAY better than the bright orange box stuff (okay, I kinda still love the bright orange box stuff, too, as long as I don’t think too hard about what’s in it…). Tahini, nutritional yeast, mac? Count me in. And mac n’ cheese with spinach (or better yet, spinach AND tomato) is the best thing ever, may need to try it with a few pistachios too next time!

• Kristina Sloggett says

yes, see? you will like Susan’s version so much more, and it will like YOU better than the box will πŸ˜‰ the pistachios add a nice crunch and unique flavor – I love them!

• Kristina Sloggett says

agreed – Susan is so sweet. you really must try this recipe if you like mac and cheese (did I just say that!?? IS there someone who doesn’t like mac and cheese!?).

• Kristina Sloggett says

THAT is an awesome idea Laura! can you believe I STILL have not tried that…? GEEZ at this point Heather is going to have to make it an MMAZ ingredient for me. have a fantastic weekend, girl!

Looks so good!! I like mac and cheese super simple, too, but my go-to recipe isn’t super healthy–I bring soy milk to a low boil, throw in a bunch of Daiya, some nooch, and a little sea salt, and then stir the pasta back in. Lazy but soooo good and decadent!

• Kristina Sloggett says

being a BIG fan of Daiya, I know I’d love your version, Tamara… I make cheese sauces out of the Havarti wedge a lot – that stuff is SO good.

Kristina, thanks for this great post! I’m so glad you like the recipe as much as we do. The sauce has become the base for so many of the casseroles I make, and your buffaloed version is now on my Must Make list!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank YOU, Susan! I can see how this sauce makes its way into other recipes – it is really so very good! Tahini is one of my favorite things (and gets into many of my recipes) and I just love this recipe! The buffalo version is a good one too…

I just had to wipe drool off the screen! πŸ˜‰ Dang this looks good! I remember when she developed this one for her daughter! I gave up on mac and cheese a long time ago. It appears as though I need to rethink that. Oh and hello Frank! Yeah, this is totally happening!

Oh my gosh, I’ve NEVER thought to add toppings to my mac ‘n cheese! And I’m IN LOVE with the buffaloed version! I’m definitely with you on keeping it simple too. I’ve just never been a fan of the baked version…it takes too long (and I have absolutely NO patience/or forethought when I’m hungry) and I don’t think I’ve ever had it where it hasn’t tasted dry. It HAS to be creamy…like sitting in a puddle of cheese sauce creamy! Lol

• Kristina Sloggett says

I can be patient, I just prefer the creamy version … perhaps after taking so many “taste test” bites straight from the pot, I cannot imagine it getting any better? πŸ˜‰

My mom’s homemade mac and cheese was shells and cheese, made with probably the cheapest cheddar she could find. It was gritty from flour not being whisked hard enough into the skim milk “bechamel,” and the cheese sometimes got clumpy.

But it was perfect.

[And if you got the bite of shells which had TWO shells magically bonded together by an infusion of cheese sauce??? Amazing.]