citrus pickled onions

in Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

citrus pickled onions

Thirty minutes.

That’s about all the time you need before you too can have your own jar of bright pretty pink pickled onions. Pink pickled onions that taste amazing.

One of our favorite pubs here in Portland includes pickled onions on their basic side salad. I love that salad. I always ask for extra pickled onions.

Years ago I made pickles with a friend – I remember it being an all day event – we had so much fun and ended up with fantastic dill pickles. Because of that all day pickle project, every time I would consider making my own pickled onions, I figured it was an all day thing to save for a weekend, preferably with a friend along for the fun.

Recently I had a craving, so I looked up pickled onion recipes online – there are several techniques out there, but their similarity is that they all look easy and quick.

Now I have a large jar of citrus pickled onions, and they’ve been ending up on and in just about everything!

citrus pickled onions

citrus pickled onions

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

Adapted from David Lebovitz

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
juice of 2 limes
juice of 1 lemon

1/3 cup sugar
handful peppercorns
1 dried chile
1 large sweet onion
1 large red onion

Peel onions, chop in half vertically, then slice into half circles.

In large saucepan over medium high heat, combine vinegars, sugar, lime and lemon juice, bringing to a boil. Add dried chile and onions, reducing heat to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes, then turn off heat and allow onions and liquid to cool completely. Store in covered jar in refrigerator.

citrus pickled onions

Do you like pickled onions? Have you ever pickled anything?

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 12, 2013 at 4:32 am

I’ve never actually pickled anything myself, but I love pickled anything. Especially jalapenos. And beets. And beans. And grapes. Like I said, pickled anything. ;)

2 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 6:07 am

pickled GRAPES? wow – I must try this soon!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 12, 2013 at 6:00 am

Ok, I definitely need to do this. I am not a huge onion fan unless they’re really cooked. But I realized I do like pickled onions. Jason has pickled cucumbers, but that’s about it. He’d be all over this recipe!

4 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 6:07 am

…and in this version the onions are cooked! :)

5 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 12, 2013 at 11:12 am

Pickled onions – yum!! We pickled a ton of okra in the Fall that we’re carefully nursing very slowly. I love homemade pickles! :)

6 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 6:06 am

ooh yes, pickled okra sounds fantastic!

7 Eileen February 12, 2013 at 11:44 am

Pickled onions are the bomb! We did a mixed refrigerator pickle with onion, jalapenos, and carrots, and the onions were amazing–spicy and pungent and perfect on tacos. I used up the last of our supply far too long ago–must start another batch ASAP. :)

8 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 6:05 am

yep, I’m making more this weekend – a much larger batch. This little ‘two-onion’ thing just wasn’t enough ;) I LOVE the flavor (and now I cannot wait to try them on a taco!)

9 Liz February 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Besides being beautiful, these must be delicious!!! Perfect in a salad!

10 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 6:04 am

I know, Liz – the bright pink is one of my favorite aspects ;) …but I don’t care if they were SEE THROUGH, I would still love the flavor!

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I pickled a lot growing up and in culinary school. I haven’t done it in so long. You and Kris are killing me now with all the pickling! I’m gonna have to get back at it. Max would love this!

12 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 6:03 am

I know, it was so funny, Kris and I were pickling at the same time, independent of each other ;) she is really going to town, though – I am sticking to my onions (making more this weekend, these are nearly gone). I just love the flavor of anything pickled, but the onions… Mmm.

13 Julia February 12, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I LOVE pickles. Every fall my 2 daughters & I pickle everything from our gardens, cukes (sweet, dill & bread & butter), beets, beans, watermelon rind, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, onions, peppers, cabbage (kimchi & sauerkraut), cherry tomatos & all kinds of stone fruit. We REALLY Love pickles, we eat them almost everyday, tonight it was marinated tofu w/pickled green plum sauce w/baked spinach and mustard onions. Tomorrow its sloppy tofu joes w/B & B pickles on top maybe even left over plums on coconut dream ice cream… ok now I’m hungry afain. :-)

14 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 5:59 am

okay, Julia, WHY are we not neighbors?? ;)

wow – it’s not even 6:am and you have me craving sloppy joes. I have heard of pickled watermelon rind – I think I need to try it this summer! …and how fun for your daughters – that will definitely be something they always remember!

15 Laura February 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I love pickled onions–and I love the citrus twist!

16 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 5:57 am

thank you, Laura! I am so happy to learn I can have my own pickled onions so quick and easy – because these are almost gone and it’s time to make more ;)

17 Johanna February 15, 2013 at 6:24 am

I pickled mustard greens for the first time tonight! They need to sit for at least three days, so fingers crossed! Your onions are gorgeous. :)

18 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 16, 2013 at 2:18 am

Thirty minutes? Seriously? 8O I always thought pickling was a sophisticated science involving lots of effort and long waiting times! And this is probably why I have avoided it so far …

Love the looks of your pickled onions! So pink! :D

19 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 27, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I love pickled anything. Anything. Even dill pickle flavored cashew butter. [Delicious.]

I vaguely recall trying to make pickled red onions before and failing. Maybe I’ll take your success and hope for my own?

20 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm

it really is this easy – I was pleasantly surprised!