practicing wellness – Wellness Week

radish tart and salad of living watercress

I shared yesterday that I am taking the Master Veg program and I could not be more excited about it – I have already learned so much, and the curriculum ahead of me looks great. This is another instance where I find myself in a classroom surrounded by like minded people, which is always invigorating and fun. The evening classes have an informal social hour beforehand, and a couple classmates volunteer to bring food for everyone to share – you know I am excitedly planning my turn, right?

living watercress

Taking care of my Dad this last year has me focusing on my own health. I have always been a proponent of preventative maintenance rather than fixing the illness after it happens – taking care of myself now so things don’t happen later. For me, this includes a plant based diet, regular visits with my doctors, rejuvenating workouts, therapeutic massage and my own home spa treatments. Jason and I both take supplements, we always have, and in the last month have a whole new regimen we are trying (I will soon dedicate a whole post to what we are doing).

I have a new approach to food as well – using food as healing and as fuel in addition to being celebratory and a big part of entertaining. I will continue with creating a fun food experience (always), at the same time focusing even more on the healthiest and nutritionally beneficial ingredients.

Today is National Vitamin Day – have you taken your vitamins? What are some ways you practice wellness?

VitaMelts_NM lockup

Nature Made® VitaMelts™ are a new “one of a kind”, enjoyable way to take your vitamins because they melt in your mouth and taste great. Discover how new Nature Made® VitaMelts™ can transform your vitamin taking experience by making it enjoyable.  Visit us at NatureMade.com/VitaMelts get a coupon.

Compensation was provided by Nature Made via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of spabettie and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Nature Made.

Comments

I’m so envious of your Master Veg program, as I’ve tried to find something–anything–similar around here with no luck whatsoever. It’s frustrating! But I look forward to following your progress.

I also was thinking of your dad this week and hope things are going okay. I know it’s personal, but you guys are in my thoughts!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you so much for that – overall he is doing okay (we have an appointment soon with the head of oncology, FINALLY!). his trach came out the other day, like the whole thing, so that was a scary thing, but he is doing okay. ((thank you))

I am loving this program – I went into it thinking much would be overview, and some is, but I have already learned so much! also, I love the community (yet again!) – it is nice to get into groups and have discussions. I love being around people who are so passionate about this thing that I love too!

What a fabulous approach to, well, life. I love food for its social and community-building aspects (as well as its ability to connect generations) but I have also made a shift, in many ways, to thinking about it as the best way to keep your health maintained.

Your program sounds fascinating. There was a school in Austin that focused on Ayurvedic culinary skills/healing. Is it similar at all?

• Kristina Sloggett says

yes, I definitely love food as a social thing, and the traditions from generations past (the memories live on!), and it always will be that for me… I am walking the fine line of having food also be a big part of maintaining good health.

Love that you have this opportunity. I know you will make the most of it too. There was a blogger I used to follow who adapted a vegan lifestyle b/c her husband had cancer. She is a FIRM believer in the healing powers of plant based eating and how you combine your nutrients.

• Kristina Sloggett says

yes, I believe a vegan (especially raw) diet can definitely contribute to healing! I am loving this class, SO much!

I whole-heartily agree with your approach to food Kristina. It’s a healthy and happy way to eat. So glad you’re enjoying the master veg course. I’ve heard great things about it.

I hope your dad is doing better!

xo Julie

• Kristina Sloggett says

the course is a good one – I love Cindy from Northwest Veg, and the group we have in class is fun.

dad is doing okay, thank you for your thoughts. XO Kris

I love wellness week; what a great concept, and I’m on board with your food philosophy. I really, truly and firmly feel food can be a wonderful treat and nourishing and healing all at the same time. It has worked for me and my spouse, so I’ve experienced the connection firsthand.
    I’ve been reading a book called Fight Back With Food; Use Nutrient to Ease what Ails You. You might really enjoy it.

• Kristina Sloggett says

thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely look for it! we just feel so much better when we eat well, eat clean. of course we have our indulgences, but we keep them to a minimum generally :)

Like like like! 😀 I love your attitude towards health – caring well for yourself before something happens. I also see food as fuel and medicine, and if it’s fun and tasty on top of that – perfect! :)

Do you eat completely vegan now? Because you said plant-based. I thought you were a vegetarian and also eat some eggs on occasion. Sorry for asking, I’m just not sure. I could also say I eat plant-based because the largest part of what I eat comes from plant, but you know I’m not a vegan. :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

I just like the term plant based better than vegan. 😉 and yes, for the most part I am. I have not had an egg for a while, because I only do when I get the FRESH ones from a friend – I have two friends with chickens and they often give me eggs. I do not mind at all that you ask – I just don’t really talk about it too much :)