practicing wellness – Wellness Week

in wellness

radish tart and salad of living watercress

I shared yesterday that I am taking the Master Veg program and I could not be more excited about it – I have already learned so much, and the curriculum ahead of me looks great. This is another instance where I find myself in a classroom surrounded by like minded people, which is always invigorating and fun. The evening classes have an informal social hour beforehand, and a couple classmates volunteer to bring food for everyone to share – you know I am excitedly planning my turn, right?

living watercress

Taking care of my Dad this last year has me focusing on my own health. I have always been a proponent of preventative maintenance rather than fixing the illness after it happens – taking care of myself now so things don’t happen later. For me, this includes a plant based diet, regular visits with my doctors, rejuvenating workouts, therapeutic massage and my own home spa treatments. Jason and I both take supplements, we always have, and in the last month have a whole new regimen we are trying (I will soon dedicate a whole post to what we are doing).

I have a new approach to food as well – using food as healing and as fuel in addition to being celebratory and a big part of entertaining. I will continue with creating a fun food experience (always), at the same time focusing even more on the healthiest and nutritionally beneficial ingredients.

Today is National Vitamin Day – have you taken your vitamins? What are some ways you practice wellness?

VitaMelts_NM lockup

Nature Made® VitaMelts™ are a new “one of a kind”, enjoyable way to take your vitamins because they melt in your mouth and taste great. Discover how new Nature Made® VitaMelts™ can transform your vitamin taking experience by making it enjoyable.  Visit us at NatureMade.com/VitaMelts get a coupon.

Compensation was provided by Nature Made via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of spabettie and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Nature Made.

1 Abby January 29, 2013 at 4:14 am

I’m so envious of your Master Veg program, as I’ve tried to find something–anything–similar around here with no luck whatsoever. It’s frustrating! But I look forward to following your progress.

I also was thinking of your dad this week and hope things are going okay. I know it’s personal, but you guys are in my thoughts!

2 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:01 am

thank you so much for that – overall he is doing okay (we have an appointment soon with the head of oncology, FINALLY!). his trach came out the other day, like the whole thing, so that was a scary thing, but he is doing okay. ((thank you))

I am loving this program – I went into it thinking much would be overview, and some is, but I have already learned so much! also, I love the community (yet again!) – it is nice to get into groups and have discussions. I love being around people who are so passionate about this thing that I love too!

3 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 29, 2013 at 5:01 am

What a fabulous approach to, well, life. I love food for its social and community-building aspects (as well as its ability to connect generations) but I have also made a shift, in many ways, to thinking about it as the best way to keep your health maintained.

Your program sounds fascinating. There was a school in Austin that focused on Ayurvedic culinary skills/healing. Is it similar at all?

4 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:53 am

yes, I definitely love food as a social thing, and the traditions from generations past (the memories live on!), and it always will be that for me… I am walking the fine line of having food also be a big part of maintaining good health.

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 29, 2013 at 6:28 am

Love that you have this opportunity. I know you will make the most of it too. There was a blogger I used to follow who adapted a vegan lifestyle b/c her husband had cancer. She is a FIRM believer in the healing powers of plant based eating and how you combine your nutrients.

6 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:50 am

yes, I believe a vegan (especially raw) diet can definitely contribute to healing! I am loving this class, SO much!

7 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 29, 2013 at 9:45 am

I actually forgot to take my vitamins this morning – fail! :) I’ll do it when I get home tonight!

8 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:47 am

d’oh! on national vitamin day of all days ;)

9 sippitysup January 29, 2013 at 9:47 am

Where’d you get that yellow pepper? I’ve never seen that variety before. Must be tropical ;-) GREG

10 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:47 am

yes, I believe it is tropical. and VERY rare – I think I managed to have the only one.

11 Julie Hasson January 29, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I whole-heartily agree with your approach to food Kristina. It’s a healthy and happy way to eat. So glad you’re enjoying the master veg course. I’ve heard great things about it.

I hope your dad is doing better!

xo Julie

12 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:43 am

the course is a good one – I love Cindy from Northwest Veg, and the group we have in class is fun.

dad is doing okay, thank you for your thoughts. XO Kris

13 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 29, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I love wellness week; what a great concept, and I’m on board with your food philosophy. I really, truly and firmly feel food can be a wonderful treat and nourishing and healing all at the same time. It has worked for me and my spouse, so I’ve experienced the connection firsthand.
I’ve been reading a book called Fight Back With Food; Use Nutrient to Ease what Ails You. You might really enjoy it.

14 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:42 am

thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely look for it! we just feel so much better when we eat well, eat clean. of course we have our indulgences, but we keep them to a minimum generally :)

15 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Like like like! :D I love your attitude towards health – caring well for yourself before something happens. I also see food as fuel and medicine, and if it’s fun and tasty on top of that – perfect! :)

Do you eat completely vegan now? Because you said plant-based. I thought you were a vegetarian and also eat some eggs on occasion. Sorry for asking, I’m just not sure. I could also say I eat plant-based because the largest part of what I eat comes from plant, but you know I’m not a vegan. :)

16 Kristina Sloggett January 31, 2013 at 5:57 am

I just like the term plant based better than vegan. ;) and yes, for the most part I am. I have not had an egg for a while, because I only do when I get the FRESH ones from a friend – I have two friends with chickens and they often give me eggs. I do not mind at all that you ask – I just don’t really talk about it too much :)