vitality shots – Wellness Week

in Breakfast, daily juice, Gluten Free, raw, recipes, Vegan, wellness

vitality shots Wellness Wednesday

You may have noticed that recent Wednesdays have been Wellness Wednesdays at spabettie, something new I am doing as I continue to educate myself on all aspects of wellness – inside and out. I am currently enrolled in the Master Veg program offered through NCNM, Portland’s naturopathic college. I could not be more excited – I have already learned so much.

I am officially kicking off Wellness Wednesdays with a Wellness Week, as we transition from our first month of 2013 into the second. While my plant based diet will of course be a focus for Wellness Wednesdays, it will certainly not be the entire series – topics using my background in the spa / wellness industry, fitness (people continue to ask about skiing, tennis and running) are among the posts I have planned.

While many may argue this morning’s grapefruit-ginger vodka toddy fits with Wellness Week – being a popular cure for all that ails you – I do have one that might fit better – my vitality shots. This one is, you know, one that you can drink before you go to work.

Last week I shared my healthy defense juice – so far it has done it’s job to keep me well. This shot should do the same thing – and while it is small, it is mighty! Bright and strong in flavor, intensely invigorating.

vitality shots

vitality shots

3 inches fresh ginger
2 lemons, peeled
2 leaves kale
pinch turmeric
pinch cayenne
pinch cinnamon

Juice ginger, lemon and kale. Whisk in turmeric, cayenne and cinnamon. Enjoy immediately.

lemon ginger shots

Cheers!

1 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts January 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Awesome! Gotta have that cayenne! I can’t believe you’re in such a program. You AMAZE me, dear! Send me some of your excess energy. Please. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

2 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:09 am

I need ALL the energy I can get, my friend ;) some look at me like I’ve got 3 heads with the cayenne thing, but I LOVE it! :) XO

3 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 29, 2013 at 4:55 am

Looks delicious. But, then again, if you haven’t noticed, you can pretty much just mumble the word ‘ginger’ under your breath and my spidey-sense will kick in. :)

4 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:56 am

mine too – I always have at least one huge root in my fridge at any given time, and MORE THAN ONCE the grocery checker has commented about it – I’ve found the biggest one, or the best looking… people love their ginger! :)

5 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 29, 2013 at 9:48 am

Another day I’m wishing I had a juicer! ;)

6 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:46 am

I know – I wish you did too!

7 jt November 8, 2013 at 6:01 pm

3 inches of ginger? that sounds like alot. you actually grind the root?

8 Kristina Sloggett November 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm

hi JT; sorry if the recipe was not clear – I use fresh ginger root (found in the produce section) and put it through a juicer. hope that helps, and yes, this is a lot of ginger – very spicy!

9 jt November 8, 2013 at 6:02 pm

its not the ginger you buy in the spices? is 3 inces about a 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup?