Celery Ranch Dressing

Celery Ranch Dressing

Vegan Celery Ranch Dressing – a creamy cool classic flavor to drench and dip!

Vegan Celery Ranch Dressing

I love ranch dressing.

Jason makes fun of my love of ranch dressing.

In all my years of ranching (heh…), I have become quite the connoisseur. Not all ranch is the same. For instance, I love the flavor and consistency of something like a Hidden Valley packet of ranch, mixed with milk. I do not enjoy the flavor or consistency of the Hidden Valley Ranch in a bottle, ready made. This is nothing against Hidden Valley – as I loved those original packets – I am not a fan of most bottled dressings.

I love to make my own.

First of all, I like a thin dressing – this is thin, dippable. I like the traditional ranch flavors, including whatever Cool Ranch means. Cool is most definitely an aspect of flavor, and I have been trying to recreate it for a while now, in addition to the tangy herby flavors ranch is known for.

While it may seem like a completely strange ingredient, coconut milk helps give it the cool taste I was looking for. If you want to try this recipe and think I’m nuts, please feel free to substitute milk of your choice. Then put it in the freezer before using. Only sort of kidding. But yes, I am kidding.

I first made this dressing for my salad of living watercress. I also used it as a dipping sauce for those radish tarts. Mmm.

Salad of Living Watercress

celery ranch dressing

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

2 stalks celery, cleaned and trimmed
1/2 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
1/2 cup sunflower oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
3-4 fresh chives, minced fine
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch sea salt, black pepper

In high speed blender, puree celery to a liquid (or juice celery). Pour through a mesh strainer to remove pulp, set aside celery juice. Add coconut milk and oil, cover tightly and blend at highest speed several minutes, until this emulsifies into a thicker consistency. Add celery juice, apple cider vinegar, chives, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper – blend to combine.

Store covered in refrigerator.

Celery Ranch Dressing [vegan]

Are you a ranch fan? What is your favorite salad dressing?

• Kristina Sloggett says

yep – I used my Vita as well, really does a great job (there were just a few “strands” that I wanted OUT!) 😉 totally opposite from me, I ALWAYS have coconut milk on hand…

• Kristina Sloggett says

I hope you like it – you might want to adjust to make thicker if you’re wanting it on a baked potato – it’s pretty thin. YUMMY, though! :)

Um. Yum. I love ranch dressing and ranch flavored things (‘cool’ ranch Doritos come to mind…) but you know, the whole dairy situation has eliminated that for me. I would never have thought to try coconut milk–or to blend celery–but I love it.

My favorite salad dressing is a little something I like to call “Hummus mixed with nutritional yeast mixed with sweet hot salsa of some variety and a dash of Bragg’s, and maybe a shake of some other favorite seasoning blend.” That’s what goes on top of my nightly bowl of cr@&.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know – I admit the coconut milk sounds weird to me, too – but I thought why not? I knew I’d still eat it, even if it wasn’t something I wanted to share… that flavor may not be for everyone but I LOVED it!

I LOVE using hummus as a salad dressing – and again, since I like “thin” dressings, that usually means I’ll mix it with a bunch of lemon juice, even water. SO good!

My favorite dressing is a simple dijon red wine vinaigrette–but now I’m thinking I need to start branching out with other homemade dressings. This looks great! I would never have thought to start a ranch dressing with celery juice. :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

it definitely gives a unique spin to the ranch flavor, and celery helps thin the dressing they way I like.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Amanda! there are so many flavors of ranch, and this one gets close to the kind I like! I was so excited too :)

great to “meet” you! – Kristina

3. assistantdoc says

One more reason I knew we are kindred spirits. I also am a connoisseur of Ranch. I love it on almost anything. I love pizza, but not so much for the pizza as for the ranch I drowned it in. Hehehe I am constantly looking for a recipe to equal the ranch at Abby’s! 😀 I am also always looking for something, anything I can put ranch on. I am so excited to try this one. Mmmm Ranch.

I am most definitely NOT a ranch fan. At all. BUT- if you made this for me, I would try it. And I bet it would be awesome with your buffalo “chicken” dip!
    I grew up on Good Seasons (I think that’s what it’s called). To this day, my mom still makes her dressing from packets!
    I like to combine unsweetened almond milk, some kind of fruit, balsamic and some kind of nut with salt and pepper and blend away- it makes a delicious dressing every time!

• Kristina Sloggett says

that’s how I make a lot of my dressings – random ingredients (that sort of follow a template…) into a blender. something different every time, and almost always great! 😉

Cool Ranch, yes please! and I have no idea what the flavor profile is that makes it taste ‘cool’ but I really love it…and love that you’re done it, at home! No chemicals! And dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan. Amazing! I am actually shocked the coconut milk helps give the cool taste, but hey, I trust you!

• Kristina Sloggett says

coconut has that hard to describe “cool” to it, you know? this doesn’t taste like Doritos 😉 but it’s getting closer…

Seriously? Celery as a dip? This is too awesome! And do you follow the NYTimes health section? Their recipes for health this week all feature celery–I think this means it’s time for me to get over my I-hate-celery-because-I’ve-Only-Ever-Eaten-It-As-Sticks and actually try something fun with it and give it a second chance.

Kristina, I have a container of ranch in my fridge as I type this! I, too, am a ranch fanatic. I love it paired with anything spicy (especially covered in buffalo sauce). I am typically pretty lazy and will mix vegan mayo/sour cream and a splash of almond milk with garlic/onion powder, salt, pepper, dill, and parsley and call it a day. Sometimes I don’t even use a blender! This recipe will bring ranch to new heights for me, I’m sure. The celery sounds magical. Thanks so much!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Jared – I know what you mean, ranch is like a COOLANT to spicy buffalo’ed things… I hope you like this one – the celery makes it thin (as I like it) and adds a great flavor… enjoy!

Oooooh, I’m so excited to try this! I am a ranch lover and am curious how the coconut base works for it. To me, soy passes fantastically for the usual dairy base, but it’s nice not to use soy all the time.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I’ve had some people give the side eye about using coconut for this 😉 but I love it! soy would work well, I just think the coconut gives it that extra something… enjoy!

9. Brittney H says

Hi Kristina,
    I had a question about the recipe. After you puree the celery and then drain the juice, are you putting the rest of the pulp back in the blender and adding the coconut milk and oil? I was a little unsure. Please help? :)

hi Brittney,

after blending the celery at highest speed, I strained it (just a few strands and a bit of pulp) and only used the liquid for this dressing – I did not add the pulp back in.

hope that helps – enjoy!

10. val says

This sounds really good have had good luck in the past with homemade ranch dressing. Just wondering have you tried to use other oils besides sunflower, does it make any difference what oil is used? ty :)

hi Val,

I just made a batch of this with flax-seed oil, and it still works well. Olive oil is another oil I use for salad dressing, although I have not tried it with this ranch, so I don’t know how it may change the flavor. I would love to try this recipe with avocado oil as well, I have a bottle of it I need to try!

hope this helps, and if you make this, enjoy!

11. Jenn says

I’ve been on a mission to clean up my diet. My kids and I would put ranch dressing on everything so I stopped buying it about 6 months ago. But oh how I’ve missed it! I made your version last night and I wanted to drink it. YUMMMMM! Thank you!

• Kristina Sloggett says

you are SO WELCOME! so happy you liked it – and yes, I had the same reaction, I wanted to drink it 😉

12. Corrine M. says

I read through the comments and noticed the post about different oils, but what about coconut oil? Or would the ranch just harden in the fridge?

Probably too late to get a response tonight, so I’ll probably just give it a go!

• Kristina Sloggett says

Corrine, I am SO SORRY to just see this comment (I had to rescue it from spam). I am not sure about coconut oil, I have not tried and tend to think it may harden – but would soften up again? Did you try?

• Corrine M. says

Not a problem at all :)

I did try, but actually used an extra 1/4 cup of coconut milk and only a 1/4 cup of the oil. It turned out great! Thick, but I like to mix fresh lemon juice in when I use it which thins it out a bit.

13. Nicole says

hi Krisina,
    thank you so much for sharing your recipes!
    I just started with a vegan diet last week and i just love these great recipe ideas! I did try this ranch dressing tonight and the taste was great but the consistency was to thin. The coconut milk just didn’t get a creamy texture although I did blend it quit a while. I wanted to use it more as a dip (for vegan buffalo wings)
    Any advice on how to get it thicker or more creamy? is there anything that can be added? I tried soy yoghurt.. but that changed the taste a little bit. :-(

• Kristina Sloggett says

you are so welcome, Nicole!

well, as you probably read in the post, I like a thin dressing, so this was deliberate :) and I know adding celery thins out the consistency even more. are you opposed to a vegan mayo? that would certainly give a thickness you are wanting. maybe add a little less celery, and certainly less oil (or omit completely if using mayo).

glad you like the flavor – hope this helps!

14. Krysten says

Everything about this — yes, you ABSOLUTELY put the freshly made ranch dressing in the refrigerator before consuming it. I thought that was part of the directions! I’m so with you — Hidden Valley packets with 1 cup mayo and 1 cup milk is DELICIOUS. Bottled Hidden Valley — yuck!

15. Kayla says

Just made this recipe with my boyfriend. We were looking for clean dips for Super Bowl Sunday. I was skeptical at first, but Oh My God this is delicious! Thank you so much for this recipe!

• Kristina Sloggett says

you are so welcome, Kayla! so happy you like it (it’s one I almost always have in my fridge… Mmm raaaanch)

I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It’s sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

17. SonshineEvie says

I am desperately trying to figure out how to cook for my 3 year old daughter who was recently diagnosed with several pages of severe allergies. I love all of these recipes b/c she has allergies to gluten, corn, eggs, dairy, nuts, wheat, etc. However, she is also VERY allergic to garlic and onions…which seems to be in EVERY recipe people post on any blog I’ve tried to research! Do you have any ideas of how to substitute for these 2 main staple spices! Thanks for any help and guidance! This has been really difficult!

• Kristina Sloggett says

RANCH SMOOTHIE. why not?? I have made pizza flavored juice before.

hey, in my defense, I was in the middle of a 30 day cleanse, and wanted pizza. I added cashews and tomato and fresh basil and it came pretty close. okay, not close at all. but anyway – RANCH SMOOTHIE.

18. Samantha says

Hi, This recipe looks awesome! Thanks for sharing it.
    I often use canned coconut milk for recipes. Do you think I could do my usual ‘refrigerate the can, allowing the “cream” to separate and rise to the top, and use just the cream’ to make this recipe a creamier dip? (otherwise keeping the recipe as you’ve posted).
    I eat a ton of raw veggies and would love to have a thicker dip full of great taste and healthy ingredients.

• Kristina Sloggett says

you are welcome, Samantha! the only thing about using canned coconut milk is that if you are storing it in the refrigerator, it may return to solid. you would just have to re-stir / “warm up” at each use, I suppose. I am sure it would make an even creamier dip, yes – in making this recipe I tried that first :)

1. […] Big beautiful entree size powerhouse salads. Vibrant flavors and bright colors, a mixed palate of textures and proteins and carbs. Filling and fresh, but light at the same time. With many opportunities to use my favorite celery ranch dressing. […]