maca power shots – Wellness Wednesday

maca power smoothie

I begin each day with a juice, sometimes a smoothie. I choose ingredients that bring natural energy, like the superfood maca. If you have heard of maca, chances are you’ve heard the of the purported libido enhancing qualities. No doubt that is a positive benefit, but the first thing I think of is boundless energy.

Maca has an earthy, natural flavor that I have grown to love – if I measure more than a tablespoon into my smoothie, ah well! To me the flavor is mild, and I gravitate toward natural tastes anyway.

These shots get natural sweetness from another favorite – Medjool dates. Banana brings sweetness too, and the nuts give a protein boost (I used a combination of cashews and almonds – I love the creamy flavor cashews bring!

More about benefits of maca.

maca power shots

maca power shots

dairy, soy, egg, gluten free, vegan, raw

makes 4 shots, or one large delicious shake

1/3 cup total raw almonds and cashews, soaked overnight
1 1/2 cups coconut water
1-2 large Medjool dates, pitted
1 banana, peeled
1 tablespoon maca powder
fresh grated nutmeg

Soak almonds and cashews overnight. Discard soaking water.

In high powered blender, combine almonds and cashews with water – blending at highest power into liquid. Add dates, banana, and maca, blend until smooth. Pour into glass and top with fresh grated nutmeg.

maca power shot

Do you have a favorite energizing smoothie ingredient?

Comments

I’ve never tried maca. I love spirulina though. I really do feel like it’s energizing and not in a jittery coffee way either. I found a vegan, GF brown rice protein powder with spirulina and use that daily in my oatmeal. I also have tablets I take before longer runs.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I have those spirulina tablets, too – they work pretty well (hard to chew, and I love the green teeth!).

• Kristina Sloggett says

maybe? I say lots of things. 😉 but YES – perhaps now is the PERFECT time to see if that is true! hope you are feeling better, friend.

I LOVE macca – I had tons of it while trying to get preggo (apparently it has major fertility benefits) but was told to stop having it when I got preggo. I miss the malty-ness. I LOVE it in homemade almond milk, sprinkled on popcorn with nooch and salt… and in smoothies! Only a few more weeks until I can have it’s deliciousness again (provided it’s ok during breast feeding!)

• Kristina Sloggett says

yes, I heard this about fertility – and apparently it is true! 😉 I cannot believe you are so close – seems like just yesterday you announced it! SO excited for you, mama!

I love earthy flavors too. A cup of brewed chai, chilled and in place of the water, would go awesome with the rest of the ingredients! We’re on the same “energy” wavelength today. I’m bouncing off the walls. :)

Yum! I am slightly obsessed with maca… It’s funny, when I first started adding it to stuff, the smell and flavor was not appealing to me, but now I just love to drink in that earthiness when I open the bag! Lol.
    This sounds like a great combo… I’m always looking for new ways to consume it!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I was the same way, I never minded the flavor but the smell wasn’t doing anything for me – now I open the bag and stick my face in it! 😉 LOVE the flavor! I also made maca pancakes recently… posting soon!

5. Denia says

Sounds amazing – can’t wait to try it I’ve been taking Maca supplements any suggestions on where to buy the powder? Recommended brands? Thanks!!

• Kristina Sloggett says

you might be able to find it in bulk, or in the health food section? I buy mine online, my current favorite is this one. do you like the supplements?

Love this! Maca is one of my favorite things to add to my smoothies and “milkshakes.” Definitely a powerhouse I keep in my pantry. 😀

I’m not a super smoothie queen, but I did purchase maca on a whim from the bulk spice/tea section at one of the local natural food stores. I wish I had had something more creative to do with it other than put it in my oatmeal, but that’s pretty much what happens with most things I don’t know what to do with…

I did not, however, notice any libido enhancing qualities. Maybe I need to use more. 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

I find it gives me great energy! I haven’t been drinking coffee regularly for a while, my daily juicing gives me enough of a wake up :) it may take a bit to get used to the taste (not bad, just … earthy!) :)

Trackbacks