Radish Tart and Salad of Living Watercress

Radish Tart

Radish Tart and Salad of Living Watercress – fresh and full of vibrant color and bright flavor, these are great additions to a spring brunch or lunch!

_____________________________

I love radish!

What I learned during the preparation for this week’s Meatless Monday is that while I love them, I rarely use them.

This is going to change, right quick.

Radish Tart and Salad of Living Watercress

I also love watercress.

I had planned to use butter lettuce – another favorite – for the radish salad I made, but quickly changed my mind.

I randomly picked up two bunches of living watercress last week, because they looked good. All of this came together in a wonderful mix of fresh flavors atop my favorite celery ranch dressing.

Salad of Living Watercress

salad of living watercress

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes two salads

1/4 – 1/3 cup celery ranch dressing
1/2 bunch watercress, stemmed
1/2 Asian pear, cored and sliced thin
2 radish, sliced very thin
handful Marcona almonds
sea salt

I built the salads as follows: a few tablespoons dressing spooned onto plate, followed by a pile of watercress. Continue layering with slices of pear and radish, completing with almonds and a sprinkling of salt.

Salad of Living Watercress

radish tart

dairy and egg free, vegan

makes approximately 18 small tarts, 2 or 3 inches square each

1 package vegan puff pastry or pastry dough
1 cup (approximately) roasted artichoke lemon hummus
2 radish, sliced very thin
sea salt

Slice dough into squares, 2 to 3 inches each, transfer to prepared (parchment / silpat) baking sheet. Top with one tablespoon artichoke hummus, spreading to 1/4 inch of edge, leaving a perimeter of crust. Top with thin slices of radish and a pinch of salt, bake at 350 for 14-17 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve warm with watercress salad.

Radish Tart and Salad of Living Watercress

Fresh and flavorful – this is lunch again today.

Comments

I just saw your radish photo on pinterest and my mouth dropped! I thought someone had somehow got into my computer! I just took almost an identical photo yesterday! I saw the radishes at our local market and they were so beautiful, I had to get them just to photograph! Love you site. Your photos are great and I love the animated ones…such a great idea!

• Kristina Sloggett says

ha! they are just so pretty, right? your first thought is to photograph… is your photo anywhere I can see it? :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

I am one of those weirdos like your husband – I ate just as many while slicing as I ended up with after… πŸ˜‰

Ooh, radish in tart form is a great idea! I love radishes, especially roasted, but for some reason I’ve never thought to put other things in the oven with them. I mean, aside from other root vegetables. :)

3. Elizabeth says

I love radishes. I had 5 tonight, just as is, with my cheese sandwich and tomato soup. We always ate radish sandwiches growing up, wheat bread with butter and salt and sliced radishes. Very good with hot sweet tea. Now to cut back on the butter calories I like hummus spread on a matzoh cracker then cover with sliced radishes.

This recipe sounds like summer to me. I will definitely make it.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I ate that many as I was chopping them for this. I was trying to get a thin slice, and oops, that one is too thick, guess I’ll have to just eat it… πŸ˜‰ the hummus + radish is a good pairing, yes? I have seen the butter sandwiches many times, I KNOW those would be good!

I’ve never seen vegan puff pastry. I’m excited to learn about this. Where do you find it, and does it taste as good as the buttery variation? Also, I love how you show the salad assembly. So clever. Is that a plugin or what technology do you use to do that. So cool! Thanks, Dana

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Dana, I am SO sorry – for some reason I am just seeing this comment!

you may know by now – several of the puff pastry I have seen are vegan, like accidentally vegan, you know? Pepperidge Farm is, or was – I have not used it in a while. I usually use Aussie Baking brand, which is available at many stores.

cheers, Kristina