Chocolate Mint TVP Cereal

mint1Chocolate Mint TVP® Cereal

Yesterday at 5:am I had my first breakfast of fresh juice blended with spinach and frozen pineapple. After my treadmill run I had the rest of breakfast, or second breakfast.

It was sweetly warm and filling, and I was so impressed that I was thinking of variations all day long.

I have been planning to try textured vegetable protein, or TVP, ever since Laura started making “oatmeal” with it. TVP is like a smaller version of my favorite soy curls – it is a defatted soy product high in protein and fiber. Like the soy curl, TVP is cooked or rehydrated with liquid, and it takes on the flavors you use.

In this case, I combined the dry TVP with chocolate mint flavored coconut milk, and it cooked into a hearty bowl of hot cereal a spoon can stand up to. This tasty bowl of goodness is ready in ten minutes.

I cannot wait to make this again. And the seventy threeve other ideas I have in mind…

Mint Chocolate TVP Cereal

chocolate mint TVP cereal

inspired by Laura and her TVP oatmeal recipes

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan

makes one bowl

1 cup chocolate mint milk (So Delicious coconut)
1/3 cup TVP
1 tablespoon fresh ground flax seed
pinch sea salt

1-2 tablespoons almond butter, as topping

In small saucepan, bring milk, TVP, flax and salt to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer, stirring every few minutes until milk is absorbed (about 8-10 minutes). Transfer to bowl and top with a swirl of almond butter.

Chocolate Mint TVP Breakfast

What is your favorite stick with you satisfying breakfast?

I have to try TVP! I have been seeing recipes around the blog world! Do you think TVP would cook up in the microwave or no?

Happy weekend love!

p.s. I am now going to be with glam, no more foodbuzz, they are not doing ads anymore anyways as of the end of November.

• Kristina Sloggett says

and thank YOU for all the inspiration – you know I’ve been meaning to try this for a while, now I have SO MANY ideas!

Very interesting – I use TVP every once in a while but I’ve never used it in a sweet dish. I’ll have to give this a try. And speaking of soy curls – I lurve them so hard and had a big bowl of them last night for dinner :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

aren’t soy curls THE BEST?? well, I may like TVP just as much… half the time when using soy curls I break them into small pieces before I rehydrate them.

You two are killing me with this! I can’t have it…darn soy allergy! This looks so perfectly delicious!

You know I’m an oatmeal girl for breakfast. I add protein powder and sometimes winter squash or fruit depending on my mood. These days, it’s all the orange squashes. 😉 Working on my winter tan!

• Kristina Sloggett says

DANG – sorry girl. I am kicking myself for not trying TVP earlier (I figured it would be similar to my favorite soy curls…) and have so many ideas for it already… *sigh* sorry you cannot have it. boo.

I get all the squash to myself in this house, winter tan, hee!

4. Emily says

I’ve never tried TVP, but it sounds like the perfect Veg protein source!
    I bought So Delicious’ Mint Chocolate Coconut milk a few days ago, it never occurred to me to cook with it! I’ve been mixing it in my coffee for a thin mint mocha drink–can’t wait to try this recipe!

• Kristina Sloggett says

that chocolate mint milk is so good, isn’t it? and yes, TVP is a really great protein, and so versatile! you’ll be seeing more TVP creations here soon…

I love the sound of this TVP oatmeal! I was doing a lot of TVP for a while, both sweet and savory. I have a butternut TVP “risotto” with butternut squash on my blog somewhere, and I did a crockpot overnight “oats” thing once too (not sure I ever blogged that one.) I love how you can get the same feeling of oats, but with tons more satisfying protein.

• Kristina Sloggett says

ooh, I will have to look for your risotto! I am loving this TVP – I have a whole list of ideas to try!

Love it! I had TVP in my pantry for the longest time and was so happy when I finally made TVP Sloppy Joes to finish it off… and yes, Laura’s TVP brekkies had me wanting to for breakfast, and this one even more!