Chocolate Mint TVP Cereal

in Breakfast, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

mint1Chocolate Mint TVP® Cereal

Yesterday at 5:am I had my first breakfast of fresh juice blended with spinach and frozen pineapple. After my treadmill run I had the rest of breakfast, or second breakfast.

It was sweetly warm and filling, and I was so impressed that I was thinking of variations all day long.

I have been planning to try textured vegetable protein, or TVP, ever since Laura started making “oatmeal” with it. TVP is like a smaller version of my favorite soy curls – it is a defatted soy product high in protein and fiber. Like the soy curl, TVP is cooked or rehydrated with liquid, and it takes on the flavors you use.

In this case, I combined the dry TVP with chocolate mint flavored coconut milk, and it cooked into a hearty bowl of hot cereal a spoon can stand up to. This tasty bowl of goodness is ready in ten minutes.

I cannot wait to make this again. And the seventy threeve other ideas I have in mind…

Mint Chocolate TVP Cereal

chocolate mint TVP cereal

inspired by Laura and her TVP oatmeal recipes

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan

makes one bowl

1 cup chocolate mint milk (So Delicious coconut)
1/3 cup TVP
1 tablespoon fresh ground flax seed
pinch sea salt

1-2 tablespoons almond butter, as topping

In small saucepan, bring milk, TVP, flax and salt to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer, stirring every few minutes until milk is absorbed (about 8-10 minutes). Transfer to bowl and top with a swirl of almond butter.

Chocolate Mint TVP Breakfast

What is your favorite stick with you satisfying breakfast?

1 katie November 30, 2012 at 4:15 am

I have to try TVP! I have been seeing recipes around the blog world! Do you think TVP would cook up in the microwave or no?

Happy weekend love!

p.s. I am now going to be with glam, no more foodbuzz, they are not doing ads anymore anyways as of the end of November.

2 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 30, 2012 at 5:57 am

You can microwave it – it’s basically like oatmeal. Here’s how I did it: http://www.sprint2thetable.com/2012/11/spiced-tvp-breakfast-squash

3 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm

yes, Katie you need to try it, you’d love it!

and YAY – welcome to Glam! XO

4 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 30, 2012 at 5:55 am

I’m SO glad you liked it!!! The possibilities are endless, right?! I love this stuff. Thanks for the shout out. :)

5 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm

and thank YOU for all the inspiration – you know I’ve been meaning to try this for a while, now I have SO MANY ideas!

6 jobo November 30, 2012 at 6:12 am

I love that you instantly have an idea in your head when you see a recipe. you’re amazing!

7 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm

it’s kinda fun how that happens… :D

8 Heather (Where's the Beach) November 30, 2012 at 7:06 am

I had never heard of a breakfast TVP until I read one of her posts. I really need to give it a try, but the only TVP I have is a faux beef so that probably wouldn’t work LOL

9 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I am still learning about TVP… just saw that there are meat flavored versions, eek! ;)

10 Ashley F. November 30, 2012 at 7:20 am

Very interesting – I use TVP every once in a while but I’ve never used it in a sweet dish. I’ll have to give this a try. And speaking of soy curls – I lurve them so hard and had a big bowl of them last night for dinner :)

11 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 2:27 pm

aren’t soy curls THE BEST?? well, I may like TVP just as much… half the time when using soy curls I break them into small pieces before I rehydrate them.

12 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 30, 2012 at 8:54 am

You two are killing me with this! I can’t have it…darn soy allergy! This looks so perfectly delicious!

You know I’m an oatmeal girl for breakfast. I add protein powder and sometimes winter squash or fruit depending on my mood. These days, it’s all the orange squashes. ;) Working on my winter tan!

13 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 2:14 pm

DANG – sorry girl. I am kicking myself for not trying TVP earlier (I figured it would be similar to my favorite soy curls…) and have so many ideas for it already… *sigh* sorry you cannot have it. boo.

I get all the squash to myself in this house, winter tan, hee!

14 Emily November 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’ve never tried TVP, but it sounds like the perfect Veg protein source!
I bought So Delicious’ Mint Chocolate Coconut milk a few days ago, it never occurred to me to cook with it! I’ve been mixing it in my coffee for a thin mint mocha drink–can’t wait to try this recipe!

15 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 2:12 pm

that chocolate mint milk is so good, isn’t it? and yes, TVP is a really great protein, and so versatile! you’ll be seeing more TVP creations here soon…

16 Heather @ Better With Veggies November 30, 2012 at 10:58 am

I keep meaning to try this too, I’m loving the sound of this festive flavor combination too!

17 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 2:09 pm

you’ll be hooked, I am warning you right now – I made more TVP this weekend and today!

18 Cara November 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I love the sound of this TVP oatmeal! I was doing a lot of TVP for a while, both sweet and savory. I have a butternut TVP “risotto” with butternut squash on my blog somewhere, and I did a crockpot overnight “oats” thing once too (not sure I ever blogged that one.) I love how you can get the same feeling of oats, but with tons more satisfying protein.

19 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

ooh, I will have to look for your risotto! I am loving this TVP – I have a whole list of ideas to try!

20 janet @ the taste space December 1, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Love it! I had TVP in my pantry for the longest time and was so happy when I finally made TVP Sloppy Joes to finish it off… and yes, Laura’s TVP brekkies had me wanting to for breakfast, and this one even more!

21 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I am LOVING this TVP. I made a savory bowl for lunch today… I was thinking about it all morning! ;)

22 janet @ the taste space December 3, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I hope you share the recipe. I am on a savoury breakfast kick right now, too. :)

23 Kristina Sloggett December 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

I will share soon, Janet! I have another one I am making today (dinner instead of breakfast..) all kinds of fun coming your way! :)

24 STUFT Mama December 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Um… this looks AMAZING!!! Dang I need to get my hands on some TVP. Love anything that a spoon can stand in. He he. :)

25 Kristina Sloggett December 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm

you will LOVE TVP, Kristin!!