pineapple coconut green curry tacos – Taco Tuesday

in Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

Monday morning was cuhraaazy around here. Portland had a (ThankMyLuckyStars) small earthquake, very high winds (90+ mph at the beach, a bit less than that here), sideways pouring rain, downed trees and high water.

I am so SO very happy we moved from our last house before storm season arrived. Now I can look back on things like this and this with some calm. I keep saying I miss the acreage, and that is all.

I am once again feeling so grateful for power, hot water (I’ve been soaking in a nice hot bath every night), plenty of food and the wherewithal to be out running around in this crazy stormy rain.

I am once again moved to do all I can right now for those still needing assistance back east. Still wishing I could be there to help. Today received a check in the mail for a blog project I recently completed, and it will be given to The Red Cross.

This year, I am feeling incredibly thankful for so much as I prepare for Thanksgiving this week. Right in the middle of holiday planning, cooking and baking, out of nowhere comes a Thai curry night.

I had a craving.

This took care of it and then some. The and then some was leftovers in the form of tacos. I want to say this curry is better the next day, and combining cuisines to make tacos was simply a bonus.

pineapple coconut green curry

dairy and gluten free, vegan

serves four

1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup green curry paste
1 cup vegetable broth
1 half inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
3 stalks fresh lemongrass, sliced lengthwise
1 package extra firm tofu, pressed and sliced
3 roma tomatoes, quartered
2 green bell peppers, sliced
1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into bite size pieces

Shake coconut milk before opening for consistent thickness.

In a large saucepan or wok over medium heat, simmer 1/2 can of the coconut milk until it thickens and reduces.

Add curry paste, whisk until incorporated. Whisk in the broth and remaining coconut milk. Continue to a simmer over medium-high heat.

Add ginger and lemongrass, continue to simmer. After a few minutes, add tofu, tomatoes and bell peppers and pineapple, simmer until everything is tender and cooked through.

Remove lemongrass strands before serving. Serve over rice or taco style!

What’s the weather like in your neck of the woods?

Are you getting ready for the holidays?

1 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 20, 2012 at 4:01 am

I am so with you on these feelings. I have this weird small feeling lately knowing that there are so many out there in need. I wish I was in more of a position to help out more. Every little bit helps though, right?

The weather here is actually really nice. The end of the beautiful fall leaves is about to arrive though. The colors have been quite incredible. I’ve actually taken some time to really enjoy it though…this would be a first in a long time. I’m trying to focus on taking that time to enjoy my boys and my life.

I wish we could get together this Thanksgiving! I can’t wait till I see you early next year!

2 Kristina Sloggett November 20, 2012 at 9:19 am

yes, every bit helps! if people go with that thought, we can all do a lot of good!

the weather has calmed today, thankfully. still raining, but calm. we have some vibrant colors around here too, and since I really am still getting used to our new house and surroundings, I feel like I am enjoying it more too – I am more aware of it all.

oooh, having a Thanksgiving with you all would be so SO wonderful – I just know it! and I am SO VERY looking forward to this spring – I think about it several times a week, actually! :D

3 lindsay November 20, 2012 at 4:16 am

what?? An earthquake? And 90mph winds? I would be hiding under the table. so glad you are okay and have power. We are very fortunate, you are so right. Must remember that HOURLY!

4 Kristina Sloggett November 20, 2012 at 9:16 am

the 90 mph winds were further out at the coast, but they were plenty powerful here, many people without power.

I think you know I really strive to have this perspective all the time, sometimes we get caught up in “life” and need to declare it aloud…

5 Toby @ Plate Fodder November 20, 2012 at 4:46 am

You know – even though I have several vegetarian clients (and oddly – I am not), vegetarian menu items in general always leave me a little flat. This on the other hand is something I think “anyone” would enjoy… well played.

but then again, I think you could slather coconut milk & green curry on sawdust and I’d lap it up – 2 of my absolute fav ingredients :)

6 Kristina Sloggett November 20, 2012 at 9:13 am

haa, I would probably agree with the sawdust ;) two of my favorite ingredients also.

I call myself “stealth” with regard to veganism – I don’t talk about it really at all, and only use that ‘label’ for recipes… I love to create dishes that do just what you say – things that anyone will enjoy! take a look around, there are many stealth recipes like that here! :)

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) November 20, 2012 at 5:26 am

Wow – that is a rough weather day. I remember your pics from last year and the backyard. Our weather has turned crazy warm again. Back into upper 60′s and hitting 70′s by mid-week. That means next week it’ll snow LOL. Ok, these tacos – brilliant idea. Now what if you don’t have lemongrass…I’ve never cooked with it.

8 Kristina Sloggett November 20, 2012 at 9:11 am

I am so relieved to not live there anymore – as much as I loved the land and our cute little house, it was always so stressful when the river would come into the yard, and those trees, eep! we all breathe easier here… :)

you can make this without lemongrass, of course… not sure what would be similar. if you have an Asian grocer I know they would have it (might even be at the ‘normal’ market?) and there may even be a paste form, similar to the curry?

9 Allie November 20, 2012 at 7:24 am

I love how curries/chilis/etc. are always better the next day! And I love that you’re still thinking about folks back east. Luckily no wind/rain/earthquakes here–it’s actually supposed to hit 70 today, which is kinda crazy after weeks barely in the 50s. Although the one (small) earthquake I was in was kinda fun. But only because of the small factor and that there was no damage anywhere!

10 Kristina Sloggett November 20, 2012 at 9:08 am

right? the flavors just keep getting better.

major tragedies like this hurricane give me much perspective. I know there is still a lot of help needed, and this is about the time that many tend to get back to normal lives and forget? I wish I could do more than I already have, there is such devastation and while I do know a few friends who did lose everything, I know there is so much I don’t even know!

okay, I’ll stop now… XO

11 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 20, 2012 at 8:49 am

I’d rather have Thai food and Thanksgiving food. Curry > dry turkey. :)

12 Kristina Sloggett November 20, 2012 at 9:02 am

me too – I have not actually eaten turkey since… maybe age nine?

13 jobo November 20, 2012 at 9:32 am

how did I not hear about the earthquake and high winds out there?! crazy is right!! I loooove curry!

14 Kristina Sloggett November 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

well probably because I’m overreacting – I freak out whenever we have a quake here, because so many scientists say the Pacific NW is due for a BIG one… we are on two major fault lines.

15 Alissa N November 20, 2012 at 10:47 am

These look insanely good!! You are so amazing for everything you have done for those hit by Sandy. I live in NJ, and feel so incredibly fortunate to have made it through the hurricane with very little damage. You are right, these kinds of things really put life into perspective!! Our family is going to be donating food and money to the shelters and the red cross in lieu of exchanging gifts for the holidays.

16 Kristina Sloggett November 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm

thank you Alissa. I am glad to hear you made it through okay… and your donations in lieu of gifting is such a generous and thoughtful thing. Happy Thanksgiving!

17 Tommy November 20, 2012 at 10:51 am

you have such a generous spirit, my dear. and good taste in food…

18 Kristina Sloggett November 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm

thank you, T!! great thing to hear today XXO

19 purelytwins November 20, 2012 at 11:41 am

earthquake – yikes!!!
love curry, forget how much we like it – need to start using it more!
so excited for the holidays!!

20 Kristina Sloggett November 21, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I always have at least one kind of curry paste on hand… ;)

21 sippitysup November 20, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Your crazy weather probably explains why we had light rain even way down here in Los Angeles. I think Thai curry night should be a national holiday. Here not in Thailand… GREG

22 Kristina Sloggett November 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I would definitely celebrate that holiday – cheers!

23 Mizzzzz November 21, 2012 at 2:07 am

all about the gratitude here too.

xo

24 Kristina Sloggett November 21, 2012 at 7:39 pm

YES! so much perspective learning lately… it is a good thing to recognize. XXO!

25 Kate@Diethood November 21, 2012 at 4:51 am

Happy to hear that all is well!! Mother Nature has been a beast lately.
Your tacos sound so darn good! I would have never thought to do that combo for a taco. YUM!

26 Kristina Sloggett November 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm

she HAS been a beast, you are so right! yes, things have calmed down around here… nothing a Thai taco cannot help, right? :)

27 Jana November 27, 2012 at 7:19 am

if anything can get me to make tonight a Taco Tuesday it is this! yum!

28 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

enjoy!

29 Kirsten December 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Kristina,
Great idea for using fresh pineapple! Thanks for giving me the link to include in my upcoming Band Fruit Fundraiser Recipe Round Up! It will be published on 12/4/2013!