cheesy jalapeno miso biscuits

Today’s Meatless Monday ingredient is miso.

I really try to be creative on Meatless Monday days – I think some of my more creative miso recipes have already been published here.ย I really thought this would be an easy ingredient for me, but I found it one of the most difficult so far – thinking about it all week and I actually made four recipes.

Two of them had potential, and I will rework them to share with you soon.

These biscuits? I made twice and both times worked very well. I started with a simple biscuit recipe handwritten by my Grandma Z (I used butter in place of oleo…).

They were perfect for floating in a warm bowl of soup – salty, fluffy, with spots of jalapeno and melty cheese…

cheesy jalapeno miso biscuits

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan

makes 12 small (1 inch) biscuits

1/2 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons miso paste
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 small jalapeno, minced
2 ounces havarti cheese (dairy free), cut into small cubes

In small bowl, stir together milk, miso, sesame oil and apple cider vinegar, combine completely.

In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and xanthan gum.ย Add minced jalapeno and havarti cubes to flour, toss until coated. Stir miso milk mixture into flour, combining into a dough ball.

Spoon one inch pieces of dough onto prepared (parchment, silpat) baking sheet, bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes.

some of my other recipes using miso:

ginger maple miso ice cream

sushi veggie sliders

lemon miso hummus

miso roasted veggie tacos

miso sesame kale chips

Visit Heather to see more miso creations:

Happy Meatless Monday!

Comments

I was going to try to be super creative for you and say miso ice cream, but of course you did that. Doh. LOL!

I love the idea of miso biscuits though. They actually reminded me of matzoh balls. Miso matzo? You could turn it into some kind of marriage between pho and matzo soup! And then bring me some. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know, when I asked Jason for help in coming up with an idea, he said ice cream. should have saved it for this week! :)

Wow, these biscuits look amazing! Now I’m picturing all the soups I could float them in–carrot, roasted squash, cream of mushroom, standard faux-chicken noodle…or split and covered with mushroom gravy. OM NOM.

I had a hard time coming up with a miso idea too and I feel like I cook with it all the time! It’s just usually not the star of the dish, so it was tricky finding the right combo. And floating biscuits in a bowl of soup…that sounds so comforting. Grandma would be proud, I bet. ๐Ÿ˜‰

so weird, right? when I saw miso on the list I figured – easy, fun! I’d like to think Grandma would be proud… :)

the lemon miso hummus (actually my friend Sarah’s) is SO SO good! and the kale chips are our favorites around here…

you should join us for Meatless Mondays, it is SO fun and there’s a little less than half the alphabet left! :)

I love jalapeno cheddar biscuits. LOVE THEM. I hadn’t thought of using miso in them. I’ll have to give it a shot.

And, the ginger maple miso icecream! OH MY. Sounds so good.

5. Lora @cakeduchess says

I love these little miso biscuits and the other miso ideas. I want a bowl of that delicious soup tonight:)

So. Following you has made it very clear to me that I am fearful of unknown or untried ingredients. I have a bag of Miso in my pantry. I have bookmarked some miso recipes. I understand the premise of miso and really don’t feel too weirded out, but still I hesitate. Can these delicious looking little biscuits conquer my miso terror? I must try.