chocolate tahini shortbread bars

Happy Halloweeeeeeen!

Last Friday night we saw an amazing show – Bassnectar came to Portland for the second time in 2012. Loren loves us in Portland. I have seen Bassnectar a few times at Burning Man, but it has been far too long. This was by far the best show I have seen, and many who were there Friday say the same.

We went downtown early enough to get wristbands for floor access – the whole show was general admission to maximize the free flow flowy free feeling – I cannot recall exactly what he said but it was pretty cool. and we knew we wanted to be on the floor.

For a while we were in the very front row.

Then we moved more toward the front middle, because Jason said this was the best place to hear maximum bass. You could feel the bass.

There’s Loren – can you see him, right in the middle? If you have not heard Bassnectar, go listen to a bit of his music – it is awesome (and even if you have heard him – go listen!). Then if you like what you hear, if Bassnectar is coming to your area and there are still tickets, you should go!

I made these bars the morning of the show. I was up early, had the day off, and didn’t know what to do with myself, I was so excited. I put on some wub wub wub music and made a tahini version of the classic chocolate peanut butter layer bar. Late night snacks post show.

chocolate tahini shortbread bars

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

shortbread base:

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

1/2 cup butter (Earth Balance soy free)
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla paste
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour

Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time and combine until dough forms, do not over mix. Press into 9 x 9 baking dish, bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until set and golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.

tahini layer:

3/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup butter (Earth Balance soy free), room temperature
2 cups coconut powdered sugar*
1-2 tablespoons coconut milk (carton)

*make your own powdered sugar from coconut sugar granules – blend in food processor or high speed blender until fine powder forms. store in airtight container.

Cream together tahini, butter and powdered sugar; add milk and stir until smooth. When cookie base is cool, spread tahini filling in an even layer. Place in refrigerator to set while preparing chocolate topping.

chocolate topping:

8-10 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons butter (Earth Balance soy free) / coconut oil

In small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter or coconut oil to a smooth consistency. Remove bars from refrigerator, pour chocolate over top and spread to a smooth layer over tahini. Return to refrigerator to set.

Do you know Bassnectar?

What was the last great music show you went to?

Bassnectar has an awesome show, right? I first saw him on the top floor of a golf dome that fit oh, maybe 100 people but we had stuffed over 400 people in the space. It was ridiculous. I’ve never been so sweaty and pumped up with music in my life. Ah! It was amazing…. and so are these bars!

such an awesome show – I have seen him several times, this was BY FAR the best! he was here last May and it was a much smaller venue – this time was in a place double the size and the sound was incredible!

oooh, very cool, I will make a point to go see their show – (I just ‘liked’ their facebook page, and one of my local friends likes them too!) thanks for sharing – I’ll let you know when I see them!

I think we were separated at birth – seriously. I saw Crystal Castles a little while ago at First Ave in Minneapolis and they rocked my socks off!

I’ve only recently grown to enjoy tahini, so I’ll have to give these a shot!

especially on Mondays, right? I just want to tell you again how much fun I am having – we should just start the alphabet over again and choose new foods! 😉

Oooh, sounds good! May have to try this flavor combo in a raw/grain-and-processed-food-free version! I do like those sticky sesame bars with the chocolate drizzled over them, from the Asian grocery stores… never would have thought to put tahini in a chocolate bar before, though! Yum!

Thanks for these gorgeous shorties! I think they’d make perfect little gifts, wrapped up like little candies but oh so much better! Happy Halloween and A Blessed Samhain!

Oooh, I haven’t heard of these guys, but if they play Burning Man, then I’m sure they right up my alley! I’ll definitely be checking them out! I’m getting the distinct feeling that we would be good friends :)

These look so much easier than I expected them to be! I will have to try this recipe out sometime. I just created a GF flour mix after a trip to Bob’s Redmill and I’m interested to see how versatile it is.

Sondi, I have never used coconut oil with this particular recipe, so I’m not sure of the resulting consistency (of the cookie). Let me know if you do try?

Love it. I always hesitate to buy tahini since it comes in a large container & I usually end out tossing 1/2 of it from going rancid. These look like a wonderful way to use it before it gets funky 😀

These look so good, I really must try and chase down some coconut sugar. I found your picture on Pinterest a while back, but haven’t had a chance to look until now.

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you! …and the coconut sugar is not absolutely necessary, if you have other sugars around they would work as well. Cheers!