blueberry lemon pancakes

in Breakfast,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

blueberry lemon pancakes

Remember earlier this summer when I discovered our new house has a cherry tree in the yard? Of course you do, I proceeded to make one hundred and eighty threeve things with cherry all summer long.

So… now it’s fall, and the cherries are long gone. (Actually I still find some pits around, and even in the back yard! Those birds carry them far!)

In the fall we get apples, right? Yep, guess what we discovered in our side yard? An apple tree! I don’t know what kind they are yet, but… applesauce is in my near future.

vegan blueberry lemon pancakes

No apples in these pancakes. No cherries either.

Blueberries. The one plant I wish I would find in my yard! We had six of them on the old property, and wow do I miss them now! I bought my blueberries all season, and now I am using frozen. I did manage to find an awesome brand, a store brand, that has the fattest plumpest sweetest berries.

Look at these beauties:

pan3

blueberry lemon pancakes

adapted from spinach pancakes

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 10 -12 medium pancakes

1 cup fresh (or thawed) blueberries*
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
juice of 1 lemon
2 – 3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons agave (or sweetener of choice)

*less than 1 cup when puréed.

In blender, purée blueberries until smooth, add lemon juice, water and agave and blend. In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and xanthan gum, stirring out lumps. Whisk in the blueberry puree, combine completely. Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter onto an oiled skillet over medium low heat. Pancakes will not bubble, flip after 45 seconds or so and cook other side (less than another minute).

gluten free blueberry lemon pancakes

What kind of fruit tree / plant would you want in your yard?

1 lisa fine October 16, 2012 at 5:07 am

I totally agree – a blueberry bush would be a wonderful addition. I’d also like raspberry and blackberry bushes, apple trees, peach trees, and sugar maples. Having a homestead is pretty high on my list in general. :)

2 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm

We had blackberry bushes at the old place too – I miss those. I would LOVE raspberries!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 16, 2012 at 6:04 am

Ok, I really need to make those I love blueberries but never realized it growing up. I guess my mom just never bought them. I want a fig tree. Actually I’d love a honeycrisp apple tree while I’m asking for things ;-)

4 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 7:04 pm

oh, yes – I’d add an ENVY apple tree if they’d grow here, and I’d love a fig tree as well… our neighbor has one – it produces fruit TWO times a year!

5 Ashley F. October 16, 2012 at 9:15 am

A pear tree for sure. Mostly because it reminds of the 12 Days of Christmas song, which then reminds me of Christmas, which then reminds me of peppermint, which is my all-time favorite thing ever. End.

6 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I love these connections…

7 Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator October 16, 2012 at 9:26 am

I am determined to plant blueberry bushes now that I know there are ones that actually do okay in San Diego’s climate. I just planted a Meyer lemon tree in honor of Buddy Girl, and can’t wait for the fruit to start maturing.

8 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm

oh, what a sweet tribute to Buddy Girl, I love it!

9 Matt mmWine Horbund October 16, 2012 at 9:46 am

These look amazing, and seem pretty healthy!

10 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm

thanks, Matt! and they are relatively healthy! :)

11 Lana @ Never Enough Thyme October 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

Blueberry and lemon is just an unbeatable combination! And these pancakes really look delicious. We have several blueberry bushes and an apple tree in our yard. As our older landscaping matures and we start replacing shrubs and trees, I’m making a conscious effort to convert to an edible landscape.

12 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm

that is what I want to do eventually, Lana – an edible landscape! it’s very gratifying to just walk out to your yard and choose fruit and veg that you grew, isn’t it?

13 nik October 16, 2012 at 11:46 am

I nearly fell over in blueberry pancake ecstasy when I saw that photo…thank you so much for the recipe!
I can’t think of a fruit bush or tree I wouldn’t want…I guess I’m a fruit-addicted fiend! Mostly I’d love date palms, fig trees, apricot trees and blueberry bushes most of all.
And cashew trees too. :)

14 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 7:00 pm

oh, cashews! I didn’t think of that, and YES I would love one! apricots too, I just need to turn the whole yard into a fruit and veg garden! :)

15 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Apple and figs all the way! I would be totally content with that. I would love a blueberry too, but I know I can’t have it all! Once again, I’m at work…do you deliver? These look amazing!

16 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm

our neighbor has a fig tree, he says it produces fruit twice a year – how cool is that? I would LOVE a fig tree…

17 Heather @ Better With Veggies October 16, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I’m looking forward to having berries next year – lots of different kinds. Can’t you just taste all those smoothies. :)

18 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm

smoothies yes!

19 purelytwins October 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm

love lemon and blueberries together! we love our lemon on just about anything :) and girl you know we love our pancakes!

20 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:53 pm

yes you do love your pancakes! I do too… more and more!

21 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets October 17, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Oh my word. These look mouth wateringly good. I must make them.
In our yard, I planted raspberry bushes ( my favorite), but I’d take any fruit fruit or bush.

22 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

oh, I would LOVE a raspberry bush! how long ago did you plant, are you seeing fruit? (I always wonder how long these things take!) :)