apricot rosemary popcorn fritters with apricot cream sauce

in appetizers, baking, Breakfast, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan, Vegan MoFo

I have heard more than a few times that I would be great at Chopped.

I suppose it’s that using ingredients in unique ways thing.

There is one Chopped I was excited to participate in – the Vegan MoFo edition – Chopped/Vegan.

This one was brunch themed – my very favorite! The Chopped mystery basket ingredients were butternut squash, popcorn, fresh rosemary, and apricot preserves.

Here is what I’ll bring to Chopped/Vegan brunch. These fritters have fantastic flavor, a sweet and savory balance, salty and crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy middle. We enjoyed these, and I will be making popcorn flour again!

apricot rosemary popcorn fritters

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

1/2 cup salted popcorn, processed to flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1 cup butternut squash, roasted and pureed
3 tablespoons apricot preserves
1 sprig rosemary, de-stemmed and chopped
1/4 cup salted popcorn half pops

To make popcorn flour: prepare popcorn as normal (buttered, salted), cool completely and transfer to food processor. Process several minutes until powdery.

Add coconut flour to processor, blend into popcorn flour. Transfer to mixing bowl.

Add roasted, pureed butternut squash and apricot preserves to flour, combine completely. Fold in rosemary and popcorn (either half popped kernels or chopped popcorn).

Roll mixture into one inch balls and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Fritters can also be pan fried in safflower oil.

apricot cream sauce

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1 tablespoon agave

In food processor, pulse cashews until crumbly. Add water, apricot preserves and agave, process until smooth, adjusting water to desired sauce consistency.

What would you make with these Chopped ingredients?

1 Abby October 15, 2012 at 10:59 am

I think “Chopped” is my favorite Food Network show, despite the fact that it’s always stressful. Anyway, if given these ingredients, I would box them up and send them to you. Voila!

2 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm

it is definitely mine (not too difficult, there are few FN programs I like…), and I love to come up with what I’d make. So fun. and yes, stressful – I’d love to do it though!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 15, 2012 at 11:31 am

OMG you’re brilliant! I love it. Never in a million years would I have thought of this one.

4 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm
5 KD Stanford October 15, 2012 at 11:33 am

you SHOULD go on Chopped. If only they had a vegan version, right?

6 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm

*sigh* if only!

7 Emma October 15, 2012 at 11:51 am

Wow, those actually look really good! You’re so creative. We don’t have “Chopped” in the UK but I used to love what sounds like a similar programme called “Ready Steady Cook!” I always thought it would be fun to do :)

8 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Chopped is one of my favorites – so fun to come up with the things I would make! :)

9 jobo October 15, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Seriously, you would KILL on chopped! And every time you make something with a new ingredient, I crave it. Apricots, YES!!!

10 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I know, these were great ingredients, I love apricot and rosemary. Chopped would be SO MUCH FUN.

11 Tommy October 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm

another time I wish I was sitting in your kitchen, visiting while you cook.

and these fritters sound VERY GOOD! we have made your rosemary apricot bean balls and LOVE them. where do you think of making flour from popcorn?! genius, you. I am inspired here every day.

12 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm

ah, I wish you could!! nothing I’d like better. so glad you guys like those bean balls, I know you like the tomato basil version, did I know you’d tried the others?

and you make me smile every day, so I suppose we’re even! hugs all around, K

13 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm

These look delicious! I’ve heard of using popcorn flour, but I’ve never tried it. Now I want to! I probably would have made some sort of caramel popcorn or a flatbread since I’m clearly obsessed with flatbreads these days! Now I want to try it!

14 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 4:52 pm

yes you are… I still need to try your recipe, and soon! but yes, the popcorn flour? GAAH so awesome. especially if it’s buttered and salted :)

15 Purely Twins October 15, 2012 at 5:20 pm

never would of thought of this combo, love it!

16 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm

it actually tastes VERY good, and they are so fluffy!

17 ameyfm October 15, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I’m loving seeing everyone’s posts today! So many creative ideas. I actually think that these flavors seem pretty harmonious… and your fritter balls look tasty!

18 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 6:38 pm

they are great flavors – I have used apricot and rosemary many times, and the salty popcorn was a great contrast to the sweet and savory! this was so fun!

19 Gabby @ the veggie nook October 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This is so creative, I’m stunned! I would be terrible on Chopped- I can’t think on my feet that way! I would freeze! I need time to calmly think out my plan of attack. You though, you would KILL it!

20 Richa October 15, 2012 at 6:59 pm

awesome! i love the color of these fritters. i was stumped with the popcorn, but eventually did something with it:)

21 Julia October 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Those look amazing, and I am so impressed because I’d be at a complete loss about what to do with the ingredients. I’d have to cheat and eat the popcorn while cooking or something.

22 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 8:43 pm

haa, great idea! they’d never know then, right? :)

23 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I love chopped. I watch it daily. They recently had a full day of it on TV and I watched every single one (in the background while I cooked). I’ve always wondered if I’d be any good at it… some of those ingredients are just ridiculous. I have no doubt you’d do great.

24 spabettie October 15, 2012 at 8:44 pm

oooh, a Chopped marathon! I would love that. and yeah, if I actually went on Chopped, three of four ingredients would probably be meat or something. I’d fail from not wanting to touch anything :)

25 Chris October 15, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Those look good. Very intriguing idea with the popcorn.

26 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm

thanks, Chris! it was a fun challenge, for sure!

27 Cara November 8, 2012 at 10:17 am

This may be the most fun use of popcorn I’ve ever seen :)

28 spabettie November 8, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I had fun making this – I had no idea if the “popcorn flour” would work, but it was GOOD!