ginger maple miso ice cream

in Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, summertime, Vegan

Ginger Maple Miso Ice Cream

This is absolutely, positively hands down my number one most favorite ice cream ever.

These flavors – sweet and salty, rich and savory, almost french toasty – are just so good together. Combining them into an ice cream has been on my mind for some time, and I am so happy with the result.

Favorite. Ever.

Maple Miso Ice Cream

ginger maple miso ice cream

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan

2 (15 ounce) cans coconut milk (full fat)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons miso paste*
3/4 cup crystallized ginger, divided

*Begin with one tablespoon and taste – add more to your salty preference (I used two)

Pour coconut milk into blender. Add maple syrup and miso, blend on high until combined and foamy. Pour into ice cream maker, proceed with manufacturer instruction.

While ice cream is processing, chop crystallized ginger into small pieces

When ice cream has formed (generally after 15-20 minutes), add 1/2 cup crystallized ginger pieces while machine continues to churn. Continue a couple minutes more, until ginger is fully incorporated. Transfer to freezer safe container, top with remaining crystallized ginger, and freeze.

Ginger Miso Ice Cream

Make this soon? I will bet you won’t regret it…

1 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen October 10, 2012 at 4:22 am

When I bought my jar of miso I certainly wasn´t looking to use it in an ice cream recipe! This sounds soooo interesting I just have to try it!

2 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 7:09 pm

woo HOO, but you must have known it would be for something good ;)

3 Gabby @ the veggie nook October 10, 2012 at 4:59 am

Amazing!! I think miso is fantastic in sweet things- I recently made a maple tahini miso spread that I can’t wait to share!

4 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I love maple and tahini – I’ll be looking for that recipe, Gabby!

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 10, 2012 at 6:02 am

I am absolutely speechless. Funky ice creams are my #1 favorite thing. have you ever heard of Morelli’s in ATL? They are the 4th best in America according to Bon Appetit. Check out their flavors this week: https://www.facebook.com/MorellisIceCream

All of this to say… I think the is more creative than anything I’ve seen even Morelli’s do. *drool*

6 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 7:08 pm

blueberry rosewater?? ginger lavender?? oh YUM. I haven’t been there, but it sounds familiar so I must have heard about it somewhere. I should try to recreate some of those flavors…

7 Shannon Roche October 10, 2012 at 6:17 am

This is such a killer flavor combination!

8 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm

thanks Shannon!

9 Allie October 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

I love sweet and salty–I bet I’d love this! Plus miso is such a classy way to add that taste. I need an ice cream neighbor. Or to move next door to you and just stop by for dessert ;D

10 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

yes you do need that ice cream neighbor! or me ;) I love miso…

11 Ashley F. October 10, 2012 at 8:38 am

Alright, time to write down ‘Ice Cream Machine’ on the Christmas list.

12 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

YAY!

13 Jean Layton October 10, 2012 at 8:54 am

Brilliant! Using miso for the saltiness brings along a whole nother sourc of umami. I will need to use this inspiration.

14 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

yes!! I love that umami, and this definitely has it!

15 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 10, 2012 at 8:56 am

WOW. Drooling.

16 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 7:05 pm
17 Kim - Liv Life October 10, 2012 at 11:24 am

I’m not an ice cream fan. Actually, I haven’t had ice cream in probably over a year, but this ice cream caught my eye and I have just place my ice cream maker in my freezer!!!!! I think this just might go in the OMG category!!! I don’t mean to gush, but I don’t think I’ve been so excited about a recipe in a long time!! Fabulous!!!

18 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm

so happy you are excited for this one, you will have to let me know how you like it! we are loving it here, I know I’ll be making more soon…

19 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Amazing! Now if only I had an ice cream maker….or room for one LOL

20 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I know… wish I could ship you some ;)

21 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Oh my goodness what an amazing combo. I never would have thought to add miso to an ice cream. Brilliant! You’ve done it again :)

22 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 6:56 pm

thanks, Beth – really happy with this one ;)

23 Lindsay October 10, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Yes yes yes!!!! Now I need an ice cream maker…

24 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 6:49 pm

look for them now, have I already said this? :) they may be on sale, I found mine a couple years ago in September – great sale!

25 lynn @ the actor's diet October 10, 2012 at 11:30 pm

so unique! i’m a total ginger AND miso (and ice cream) kinda gal

26 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I like the unique… and was really happy with the flavor of this! :)

27 Erin October 11, 2012 at 4:06 am

Gah, this is genius! I love it and can’t wait to try it!

28 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 6:46 pm

thanks, Erin! I was very pleased with the result – so incredibly good! :)

29 Amy @FragrantVanillaCake October 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Love this :)! I have used miso in desserts before, including ice cream and I know it is amazing! Love that you paired it with ginger, yum!

30 spabettie October 29, 2012 at 9:26 am

this was my first miso dessert – but not my last! this is my new favorite ice cream – Jason described it as ‘umami’ :D

31 Addie October 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Im allergic to soy.. – any idea of what I can use instead of Miso? and the replacement ideas online also had soy.. would love to try this otherwise.

32 spabettie October 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm

hi Addie. if you were asking about a miso alternative for a soup or another savory recipe, I would suggest a salty broth or mushroom base. for this dessert recipe, I really do not know what to suggest. there are soy free miso pastes available, like THIS ONE. perhaps you can find one of them in a local Asian grocer, or you could purchase online (I have not tried these, do not know how they compare to traditional miso).

Let me know if you do find some, or end up making this recipe with something else! Thank you, Kristina

33 Addie October 29, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Apparently Im out of luck as Im also Gluten intolerant.. :/ oh well.. I shared this so hopefully some friends can enjoy it.

34 Laura May 3, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I’m not sure what type of miso Kristina used but I’m assuming it is white miso due to the colour of her ice cream. If so, you could either look for such a miso produced by fermenting other gluten and free grains such as rice, oats, or even hempseed. Alternatively, you could look for amazake. In the U.K. Clearspring produces a thick, light coloured amazake made from fermented oats, rice or millet and in my opinion tastes like a less salty version of white miso. Maybe somewhere in the U.S. also produces gluten free amazake too?

35 Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious November 12, 2012 at 7:24 am

Made this, and now my husband thinks you are an evil genius! Thank you!

36 spabettie November 12, 2012 at 8:36 am

oh GOOD – so happy to hear this Dorothy! …and I love the Evil Genius title, I’ll take it MUA HAA HAAAA

37 Emmie July 8, 2014 at 9:09 am

Just made this for a dinner party tonight. Turned out fantastic!

I went with 2 tablespoons of miso paste to make it extra savory. I also used 4 cups from a carton of SILK coconut milk instead of coconut milk from cans. I also (amazingly) don’t have a blender, so just used my kitchen-aid stand mixer with whisk to blend and foam. Worked perfectly.

Highly recommend this recipe!