Ginger Maple Miso Ice Cream

Ginger Maple Miso Ice Cream

Ginger Maple Miso Ice Cream – the unique flavors of this ice cream are almost indescribable – sweet, salty, rich and savory, this is a favorite in our house!

______________________________________________

This is absolutely, positively hands down my number one most favorite ice cream ever.

These flavors – sweet and salty, rich and savory, almost french toasty – are just so good together. Combining them into an ice cream has been on my mind for some time, and I am so happy with the result.

Favorite. Ever.

Maple Miso Ice Cream

ginger maple miso ice cream

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan

2 (15 ounce) cans coconut milk (full fat)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons miso paste*
3/4 cup crystallized ginger, divided

*Begin with one tablespoon and taste – add more to your salty preference (I used two)

Pour coconut milk into blender. Add maple syrup and miso, blend on high until combined and foamy. Pour into ice cream maker, proceed with manufacturer instruction.

While ice cream is processing, chop crystallized ginger into small pieces

When ice cream has formed (generally after 15-20 minutes), add 1/2 cup crystallized ginger pieces while machine continues to churn. Continue a couple minutes more, until ginger is fully incorporated. Transfer to freezer safe container, top with remaining crystallized ginger, and freeze.

Ginger Miso Ice Cream

Make this soon? I will bet you won’t regret it…

Comments

blueberry rosewater?? ginger lavender?? oh YUM. I haven’t been there, but it sounds familiar so I must have heard about it somewhere. I should try to recreate some of those flavors…

I love sweet and salty–I bet I’d love this! Plus miso is such a classy way to add that taste. I need an ice cream neighbor. Or to move next door to you and just stop by for dessert ;D

I’m not an ice cream fan. Actually, I haven’t had ice cream in probably over a year, but this ice cream caught my eye and I have just place my ice cream maker in my freezer!!!!! I think this just might go in the OMG category!!! I don’t mean to gush, but I don’t think I’ve been so excited about a recipe in a long time!! Fabulous!!!

so happy you are excited for this one, you will have to let me know how you like it! we are loving it here, I know I’ll be making more soon…

look for them now, have I already said this? :) they may be on sale, I found mine a couple years ago in September – great sale!

this was my first miso dessert – but not my last! this is my new favorite ice cream – Jason described it as ‘umami’ 😀

3. Addie says

Im allergic to soy.. – any idea of what I can use instead of Miso? and the replacement ideas online also had soy.. would love to try this otherwise.

hi Addie. if you were asking about a miso alternative for a soup or another savory recipe, I would suggest a salty broth or mushroom base. for this dessert recipe, I really do not know what to suggest. there are soy free miso pastes available, like THIS ONE. perhaps you can find one of them in a local Asian grocer, or you could purchase online (I have not tried these, do not know how they compare to traditional miso).

Let me know if you do find some, or end up making this recipe with something else! Thank you, Kristina

• Addie says

Apparently Im out of luck as Im also Gluten intolerant.. :/ oh well.. I shared this so hopefully some friends can enjoy it.

• Laura says

I’m not sure what type of miso Kristina used but I’m assuming it is white miso due to the colour of her ice cream. If so, you could either look for such a miso produced by fermenting other gluten and free grains such as rice, oats, or even hempseed. Alternatively, you could look for amazake. In the U.K. Clearspring produces a thick, light coloured amazake made from fermented oats, rice or millet and in my opinion tastes like a less salty version of white miso. Maybe somewhere in the U.S. also produces gluten free amazake too?

4. Emmie says

Just made this for a dinner party tonight. Turned out fantastic!

I went with 2 tablespoons of miso paste to make it extra savory. I also used 4 cups from a carton of SILK coconut milk instead of coconut milk from cans. I also (amazingly) don’t have a blender, so just used my kitchen-aid stand mixer with whisk to blend and foam. Worked perfectly.

Highly recommend this recipe!

I’m going to pretend you know it’s sweltering hot today and hence you posted it for me. Thanks.

When I come to America for you to make me the sandwich you promised, I shall bring crystallised ginger- We are famous for it!

• Kristina Sloggett says

crystallized ginger! my favorite! I will make this ice cream for us, and while it is happily getting delicious in the freezer, we will make more fabulousness with ginger!

You know an ice cream recipe sounds especially good when you’re sitting in your office freezing because the house hasn’t warmed yet – and you know you’d still happily eat some! This is such an intriguing recipe and so creative. Pinning to try VERY soon!

• Kristina Sloggett says

ah, thank you Kristy! I get ice cream cravings all year long, so I get it. this flavor is indescribably good, I hope you do try it!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you Josie! YES, these flavors are so amazing together, and I try not to use that word lightly 😉

OMG. YES. Miso paste in ice cream..This randomly reminds me of the time I tried to make vegemite ice cream and made my sister sick….That was actually pretty awesome but anyway.

This. Looks. Epic. Sweet/salty/tangy perfection!

• Kristina Sloggett says

you should try this one, Arman, I cannot describe the flavors. SO good.

and… vegemite? that is indeed interesting!

• Kristina Sloggett says

YES, Janel – we enjoy ice cream even in the cold (hope it warms up for you soon!). and enjoy – I hope you like this as much as we do!

How have a I gone so long in life without having ever heard of ginger ice cream?? Better yet – dairy free ginger ice cream with my favorite sweetener, maple. It’s like you made this just for me. I love it!

Trackbacks