baby portobello stroganoff

in Cooking Light, Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

I am still cooking dinners for my Dad. Sometimes I just double the recipe of what I am making us for dinner, sometimes I make something ahead of time and bring to him for reheating, and sometimes I ask him what he would like?

A couple weeks ago, he requested stroganoff.

Since I know he is not a big pasta fan, and I vaguely recall stroganoff being served over pasta, I asked if he would like rice, or even better, quinoa.

Dad loves the quinoa.

The protein in the quinoa makes up for the … lack of meat. Didn’t even miss it.

baby portobello stroganoff

used this recipe for inspiration, reference

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

serves four

1 cup dry quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons butter (Earth Balance soy free) or olive oil
1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
1 pint baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and de-stemmed, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup vermouth (or wine)
3 tablespoons flour (gluten free all purpose)
splash almond milk
salt and pepper

In medium sauce pan, combine vegetable broth and (rinsed) quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover, cook for 10 minutes. (Check after 10 minutes, cooking time varies between 10-15 minutes for all liquid to be absorbed). When all liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and set aside with lid on.

Meanwhile, melt butter in pan, cook onion until caramelized. Add portobello pieces, cook until softened (a few minutes). Add vegetable broth and vermouth, continue to cook until liquid reduces by half, stirring frequently. In small bowl, combine flour and milk, stirring until smooth, add to onion/portobello mixture, stirring until thickened. Add salt + pepper to taste.

Serve over warm quinoa.

Also? Spell-check wanted to change stroganoff to strongman. The other day it changed mirepoix to firepower.

1 Abby September 25, 2012 at 4:15 am

Oh man. You combined some of my favorite things–quinoa, Earth Balance and mushrooms. There is fungus among us!

2 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm

right? in fact, quinoa, Earth Balance and mushrooms – that sounds great just as is! :)

3 lindsay September 25, 2012 at 5:37 am

i like this twist on it. Quinoa soaks up more of the broth/gravy! and you are too sweet. I bet your dad is very thankful for YOU!

4 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:36 pm

YES – the quinoa does do a great job as a gravy vehicle ;)

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 25, 2012 at 5:39 am

I’ve had a vegan stroganoff pinned since last winter and have yet to try it. Yours looks even better with that quinoa and the bellas. Maybe I will get it together and make this soon!

6 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:36 pm

oh yes, I hope you do, Laura! its a really good one!

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 25, 2012 at 6:07 am

Now THAT is a stroganoff I could actually go for. That’s one weird thing Jason always wants me to make. I’ve never made it. I hated it as a kid. But this one? Absolutely my kind of dinner. Hope your dad’s doing well!

8 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm

pretty sure I picked out the meat as a kid;) I hope you try this one!

9 Rachel Cooks September 25, 2012 at 8:36 am

This looks so good. I could eat this DAILY.

10 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm

thanks, Rachel! I hope you try it!

11 janetha {meals & moves} September 25, 2012 at 10:06 am

Ah I loooove mushrooms! Yum.

12 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:26 pm

you would love this then! :)

13 jobo September 25, 2012 at 10:36 am

strongman, stroganoff. same thing. LOL! so funny. This looks SO GOOD!! I bet your dad loved it :-) I wish M loved the quinoa!

14 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I do too – it is SO good, and really good for you!

15 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 25, 2012 at 11:18 am

Yes! This looks amazing! I’m so excited to make this, my mom always made beef stroganoff over egg noodles when we were kids and I always loved it. I haven’t thought about it in years though, I’d love to make this vegan version. Thanks for sharing.

16 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:26 pm

you are so welcome, Beth! I hope you love it!

17 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 25, 2012 at 11:42 am

I should make a “Spabettie Recipes” board on pinterest, I swear I pin everything you post. And make most of it too. :)

18 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm

awww – yay! I say go ahead! ;)

19 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Do you deliver? I’m working tonight and I could really use this instead of the cold meal I had to pack for later. This would totally hit the spot right about now!!!

20 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I WISH I COULD DELIVER TO YOU!! seriously, if you were my neighbor… I totally would.

21 Liz September 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I love the idea of mushroom stroganoff….and over quinoa makes it even better!

22 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm

it really was good, Liz! I hope you try it sometime!

23 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic September 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Oooh I have not had stroganoff in awhile! Portobello strganoff sounds great.

24 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm

hi Bianca! I think I vaguely remember having it as a kid, but… well, that was a while ago ;) we all really liked this one, nobody missed the meat!

25 Dianne @ Veggiegirl September 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I love mushroom stroganoff! I’ve never thought to serve it over quinoa – such a great idea!

26 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm

thanks, Dianne! I’m just not a big pasta fan (aside from an occasional craving…) and I love quinoa… this worked well!

27 Sondi September 25, 2012 at 11:13 pm

This looks amazing! Do you think it would turn out ok if I used more vegetable broth instead of vermouth or wine?

28 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:17 pm

oh, Sondi, absolutely – that would work just fine! hope you love it!

29 Shirley @ gfe September 26, 2012 at 3:53 am

What a beautiful and simple dish, Kristina! I know your dad loved it. Stroganoff is a pure comfort food dish and it’s one that I’ve never been happy with when I’ve made it myself. Mr. GFE would love this portabello version. Must try your recipe for sure–thanks!

Keeping your dad and your family in my thoughts and prayers. xo,
Shirley

30 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers for Dad, Shirley – I really appreciate it and so does he! :) I hope you try this version of stroganoff – everyone DID like it here! :)

31 Amanda September 26, 2012 at 10:16 am

Looks tasty! Quinoa is a great idea although I am kind of partial to the egg noodles. :)

32 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm

yes, I’ve had many people say they love the quinoa, and just as many people wanting the noodles! ;) it would work with noodles as well! :)

33 Kate | Food Babbles September 26, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I adore stroganoff!! One of my all-time favorite meals and I’ve always had it served over pasta. Being a pastaholic, I have no complaints about that arrangement however, I adore quinoa and now I absolutely must try that instead the next time. I will definitely be giving your recipe a try very soon!! It’s going on my meal plan for next week.

34 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I like it with the quinoa for added protein (after taking out the meat that is traditionally part of stroganoff). I’m not a HUGE pasta fan anyway, but I know for some it just isn’t stroganoff without it! This would be terrific over yummy noodles!

35 Taylor October 4, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Oh my goodness, I just made this for dinner! It is so amazing! I love that it’s vegan and healthy, yet still has that rich and warm homey feel to it…. without the guilt of all the sodium, cream, and butter! Thank you for the recipe! I had mine with a small salad and some lightly seasoned halibut!

36 Mandy October 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Made this tonight. It was awesome! Sooooooo yummy. We used rice noodles though. Not as healthy. ;)

37 spabettie October 4, 2012 at 8:24 pm

thanks, Mandy! so happy you liked it! rice noodles aren’t bad – I know many have said it’s not stroganoff without the noodle ;)

38 Amy January 3, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I just made this for dinner and it was wonderful. My three kids devoured it! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

39 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm

hi Amy, SO HAPPY to hear this, glad you all liked it! (it’s one of our favorites here too!).

40 Rachel O. January 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Naturally, in my carnivore ways, I served this with a side of tri tip steak. It was a perfect meal. I’ll be making this again. Thank you!

41 Kristina Sloggett January 12, 2013 at 4:18 pm

and I am sure it was lovely! so happy you liked it, Rachel!

42 Krista September 22, 2013 at 11:37 am

Delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

43 HEATHER February 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm

LOVED THIS RECIPE. I USE A BIG PORTOBELLA AND CHOPPED IT UP-THAT WAHT I HAD ON HAND, DELICIOUS!! YOU SHOULD SUBMIT THIS RECIPE TO THE TONE IT UP WEBSITE. THEY LOVE HEALTHY RECIPES LIKE THIS. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!