baby portobello stroganoff

I am still cooking dinners for my Dad. Sometimes I just double the recipe of what I am making us for dinner, sometimes I make something ahead of time and bring to him for reheating, and sometimes I ask him what he would like?

A couple weeks ago, he requested stroganoff.

Since I know he is not a big pasta fan, and I vaguely recall stroganoff being served over pasta, I asked if he would like rice, or even better, quinoa.

Dad loves the quinoa.

The protein in the quinoa makes up for the … lack of meat. Didn’t even miss it.

baby portobello stroganoff

used this recipe for inspiration, reference

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

serves four

1 cup dry quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons butter (Earth Balance soy free) or olive oil
1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
1 pint baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and de-stemmed, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup vermouth (or wine)
3 tablespoons flour (gluten free all purpose)
splash almond milk
salt and pepper

In medium sauce pan, combine vegetable broth and (rinsed) quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover, cook for 10 minutes. (Check after 10 minutes, cooking time varies between 10-15 minutes for all liquid to be absorbed). When all liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and set aside with lid on.

Meanwhile, melt butter in pan, cook onion until caramelized. Add portobello pieces, cook until softened (a few minutes). Add vegetable broth and vermouth, continue to cook until liquid reduces by half, stirring frequently. In small bowl, combine flour and milk, stirring until smooth, add to onion/portobello mixture, stirring until thickened. Add salt + pepper to taste.

Serve over warm quinoa.

Also? Spell-check wanted to change stroganoff to strongman. The other day it changed mirepoix to firepower.

Comments

Yes! This looks amazing! I’m so excited to make this, my mom always made beef stroganoff over egg noodles when we were kids and I always loved it. I haven’t thought about it in years though, I’d love to make this vegan version. Thanks for sharing.

hi Bianca! I think I vaguely remember having it as a kid, but… well, that was a while ago 😉 we all really liked this one, nobody missed the meat!

thanks, Dianne! I’m just not a big pasta fan (aside from an occasional craving…) and I love quinoa… this worked well!

What a beautiful and simple dish, Kristina! I know your dad loved it. Stroganoff is a pure comfort food dish and it’s one that I’ve never been happy with when I’ve made it myself. Mr. GFE would love this portabello version. Must try your recipe for sure–thanks!

Keeping your dad and your family in my thoughts and prayers. xo,
    Shirley

thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers for Dad, Shirley – I really appreciate it and so does he! :) I hope you try this version of stroganoff – everyone DID like it here! :)

yes, I’ve had many people say they love the quinoa, and just as many people wanting the noodles! 😉 it would work with noodles as well! :)

I adore stroganoff!! One of my all-time favorite meals and I’ve always had it served over pasta. Being a pastaholic, I have no complaints about that arrangement however, I adore quinoa and now I absolutely must try that instead the next time. I will definitely be giving your recipe a try very soon!! It’s going on my meal plan for next week.

I like it with the quinoa for added protein (after taking out the meat that is traditionally part of stroganoff). I’m not a HUGE pasta fan anyway, but I know for some it just isn’t stroganoff without it! This would be terrific over yummy noodles!

4. Taylor says

Oh my goodness, I just made this for dinner! It is so amazing! I love that it’s vegan and healthy, yet still has that rich and warm homey feel to it…. without the guilt of all the sodium, cream, and butter! Thank you for the recipe! I had mine with a small salad and some lightly seasoned halibut!

thanks, Mandy! so happy you liked it! rice noodles aren’t bad – I know many have said it’s not stroganoff without the noodle 😉

5. Rachel O. says

Naturally, in my carnivore ways, I served this with a side of tri tip steak. It was a perfect meal. I’ll be making this again. Thank you!

6. HEATHER says

LOVED THIS RECIPE. I USE A BIG PORTOBELLA AND CHOPPED IT UP-THAT WAHT I HAD ON HAND, DELICIOUS!! YOU SHOULD SUBMIT THIS RECIPE TO THE TONE IT UP WEBSITE. THEY LOVE HEALTHY RECIPES LIKE THIS. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!