for the love of kale

in Gluten Free, Guest Posts, Vegan

Regular readers know that spabettie has big love for kale.

I juice it, I make chips out of it, I learned how to massage it earlier this summer.

I wear my Eat More Kale shirt all the time, and have been asked by many where can I get a kale shirt? (If you’d like an awesome shirt, go support my friend Bo, he’s being sued by a company that thinks he took their tagline).

I have three of them.

I love kale so much I recently filled a waffle with kale.

What’s next? There isn’t much I wouldn’t do with kale.

Please go say hello to my friend Kristy at Gastronomical Sovereignty and take a look-see at my collection of kale!

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 14, 2012 at 5:36 am

I love kale, but tend to just stick to roasting it up. Of course, that’s a change from before when I’d only use it in soup then I ventured out and would only saute it LOL.

2 Ellie@Fit for the Soul September 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

Ahhh I roast it whenever I wanna eat it but have no time to cook it! :) I think it’s such a quick way to prepare it, or sometimes if I’m in a REALLY big hurry, I boil it for like 4 minutes. Hey, it’s better than nothing, right? ;)

3 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:16 pm

even quicker, just massage it with some oil and citrus! mmm…

4 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm

your kale usage goes in trends then? :)

5 Francesca September 14, 2012 at 6:02 am

I’m on a kale-kick too spabettie! Just made some lasagna with it yesterday and it was delicious…http://bit.ly/TS61xj

6 jobo September 14, 2012 at 6:46 am

I love kale too! Newly loved this year, I think…well, when I met M and his parents made authentic kale soup (given they are Portuguese and all!) and ever since, love! So versatile ;-)

7 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm

oooh, kale soup sounds interesting??

8 jobo September 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm

you’ve never had kale soup?! really??

9 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I haven’t!! you must educate me!

10 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 14, 2012 at 7:04 am

I LOVE kale! That shirt sounds super cute! I need one! I signed the petition too! I could go on and on about bigger corporations stomping on the little guys today, but I will refrain from high jacking your blog today. I think I need some kale chips today!

11 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I know – it’s crazypants. can’t we all just get along?? ;) I LOVE when people ask me about the shirt, I tell everyone the story!! make some kale chips with FRANKS! :D

12 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 14, 2012 at 7:58 am

ooh I love that shirt… (and I love kale).
Not to pimp myself out here, but did you see the kale recipe I posted last week? It’s from a friend of mine, and it’s unreal. I could eat it every single day (and usually make a huge batch of it so that I CAN eat it every day!).
It looks a bit similar to one that you have on this post (with the beets and almonds) http://www.oatmealafterspinning.com/2012/09/07/superfood-kale-salad/

13 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I did see it – I commented but… I have still been having that spam issue :( I commented again this morning… perhaps you can fish me out? :D that salad looks awesome, and you also got me even more excited for football! ;)

14 Lisa September 14, 2012 at 9:13 am

I love kale. This summer was our first attempt at growing kale in the garden and it was HUGE! It was so hearty and healthy (until the aphids came). I loved having kale in my garden. We sauteed it with dinners, I added it to salads and I absolutely loved kale chips. Yum!

15 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm

isn’t it great? I love walking outside and bringing in fresh veggies for dinner!

16 Eileen September 14, 2012 at 11:09 am

Who doesn’t love kale? Just last night I made pasta aglio e olio with kale and olives: delicious. :) Hooray for all the kale!

17 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm

mmm, kale and olives – that sounds delicious!

18 Debbie @ Live from La Quinta September 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I love kale too, but it wasn’t until recently when I learned how to massage it that I found that I really love kale. It is delicious. Even my husband loves it and if you knew him you’d know how amazing that is.

19 spabettie September 15, 2012 at 9:21 am

YES – that’s how it is here, too. Jason likes kale in our smoothies, but now he LOVES the massaged kale salads I make, especially the chiffonades! :)

20 David Crowley September 17, 2012 at 3:41 am

Creative! Have been getting a lot of kale from our CSA, so always on the lookout for new things to make with it. Recently made & posted about a kale pesto that was quite good.

21 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:36 am

hi David!! I’ll have to look up your pesto, I am intrigued! thanks for reading!

22 Arnie Adam September 22, 2012 at 7:16 am

I found a great Kale & Walnut Pesto recipe this summer and have made up quite a few pint jars of it and stuck them in the freezer…as a way to bring that beautiful kale in my garden with me into the winter months. Freezing it meant I didn’t have to cook the kale and destroy the”so-good-for-you” enzymes. You can use it in pasta, but I mostly use it as a spread on toast…and I’m really loving it as a way to get fresh kale into my diet nearly every day. It came out smoother in a blender, but was harder to process that way, so I resorted to a food processor. I had to tweak the recipe I found to get it to work for me:
1. Lightly steam 2 large handfuls of kale
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor mix: 3/4 cup olive oil, 1 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup vegan parmesan (1 cup raw cashews, 1 large clove garlic, 1/3 cup nutritional yeast…blended well into small particles), 1 clove galic, 1 tsp. salt.
3. Add lightly steamed kale to above mixture and puree. Makes about 1 pint.

23 Arnie Adam September 22, 2012 at 7:25 am

Oops…forgot that there is a tsp. of salt in the vegan parmesan…and actually when you lightly steam the kale, you are probably knocking out those lovely enzymes I spoke of. Maybe next year I’ll try actually processing some in a hot water bath and see how that works…so I don’t fill up my freezer.

24 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 5:53 pm

thank you Arnie! :)

25 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 5:53 pm

this sounds amazing, I am definitely going to try this! :)