for the love of kale

Regular readers know that spabettie has big love for kale.

I juice it, I make chips out of it, I learned how to massage it earlier this summer.

I wear my Eat More Kale shirt all the time, and have been asked by many where can I get a kale shirt? (If you’d like an awesome shirt, go support my friend Bo, he’s being sued by a company that thinks he took their tagline).

I have three of them.

I love kale so much I recently filled a waffle with kale.

What’s next? There isn’t much I wouldn’t do with kale.

Please go say hello to my friend Kristy at Gastronomical Sovereignty and take aย look-seeย at my collection of kale!

Comments

I love kale too! Newly loved this year, I think…well, when I met M and his parents made authentic kale soup (given they are Portuguese and all!) and ever since, love! So versatile ๐Ÿ˜‰

I LOVE kale! That shirt sounds super cute! I need one! I signed the petition too! I could go on and on about bigger corporations stomping on the little guys today, but I will refrain from high jacking your blog today. I think I need some kale chips today!

I know – it’s crazypants. can’t we all just get along?? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I LOVE when people ask me about the shirt, I tell everyone the story!! make some kale chips with FRANKS! ๐Ÿ˜€

ooh I love that shirt… (and I love kale).
    Not to pimp myself out here, but did you see the kale recipe I posted last week? It’s from a friend of mine, and it’s unreal. I could eat it every single day (and usually make a huge batch of it so that I CAN eat it every day!).
    It looks a bit similar to one that you have on this post (with the beets and almonds) http://www.oatmealafterspinning.com/2012/09/07/superfood-kale-salad/

I did see it – I commented but… I have still been having that spam issue :( I commented again this morning… perhaps you can fish me out? ๐Ÿ˜€ that salad looks awesome, and you also got me even more excited for football! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I love kale. This summer was our first attempt at growing kale in the garden and it was HUGE! It was so hearty and healthy (until the aphids came). I loved having kale in my garden. We sauteed it with dinners, I added it to salads and I absolutely loved kale chips. Yum!

YES – that’s how it is here, too. Jason likes kale in our smoothies, but now he LOVES the massaged kale salads I make, especially the chiffonades! :)

5. Arnie Adam says

I found a great Kale & Walnut Pesto recipe this summer and have made up quite a few pint jars of it and stuck them in the freezer…as a way to bring that beautiful kale in my garden with me into the winter months. Freezing it meant I didn’t have to cook the kale and destroy the”so-good-for-you” enzymes. You can use it in pasta, but I mostly use it as a spread on toast…and I’m really loving it as a way to get fresh kale into my diet nearly every day. It came out smoother in a blender, but was harder to process that way, so I resorted to a food processor. I had to tweak the recipe I found to get it to work for me:
    1. Lightly steam 2 large handfuls of kale
    2. Meanwhile, in a food processor mix: 3/4 cup olive oil, 1 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup vegan parmesan (1 cup raw cashews, 1 large clove garlic, 1/3 cup nutritional yeast…blended well into small particles), 1 clove galic, 1 tsp. salt.
    3. Add lightly steamed kale to above mixture and puree. Makes about 1 pint.

• Arnie Adam says

Oops…forgot that there is a tsp. of salt in the vegan parmesan…and actually when you lightly steam the kale, you are probably knocking out those lovely enzymes I spoke of. Maybe next year I’ll try actually processing some in a hot water bath and see how that works…so I don’t fill up my freezer.