morning glory vegan café

in restaurants, summertime, Vegan

We have been on vacation since the 18th, enjoying a sunny road trip to California, enjoying wine in Sonoma, enjoying teaching Jason all about Instagram as I drove, enjoying pumping our own gas in another state.

We are back home, the super fun shiny red rental car is turned in. So happy to be back home, happy to pick Basil up from his vacation, happy to get back into a sortof routine.

On our way home, we stopped for lunch in Eugene, where I knew we could find a fresh juice and some plant based happiness. We went to the Morning Glory Café and were not disappointed.

We shared a huge carrot orange juice.

I chose the most awesome thing on the breakfast menu:

Happy Morning Sandwich - a fresh biscuit, split, toasted and topped with a soysage patty, spinach, tomato slices, “glorious” tofu patty, and tofu sour cream. Served with herbed glory potatoes covered with our tantric mushroom gravy and green onions.

This was very good – the biscuit was very flavorful (cannot pinpoint the flavor but as soon as I do…), the tofu sour cream was herby delicious, the tomatoes fresh and bright. Those potatoes were perfect, and that gravy, oh yum.

…and Happy Morning? I need to start naming my sandwiches cool things like this.

Cajun Tempeh Sandwich – Organic tempeh patty grilled in cajun spices, topped with grilled onions and served on toasted whole wheat bread with our jalapeno aoli, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, and shredded carrots.

Jason’s sandwich was also tasty – he watched me after I took a bite, because the heat kinda sneaks up on you.

I will keep the Morning Glory Café in mind for future trips to or through Eugene – great food, casual clean and open atmosphere, friendly staff.

A great end to our vacation!

Morning Glory Café on Urbanspoon

1 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 29, 2012 at 4:38 am

Food is seriously so much more fun when you name it fun things! Seriously, how can you not be happy with a Happy Morning Sandwich with tantric sauce? I think you have no choice. I’m glad you two had a great trip and I’m so happy you are back home safely!

2 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm

thank you, Sarena – happy to be home safe as well :) I love the names… Jason’s mom told me I need to name my recipes cool things like that, I guess I’m too straightforward for that? Seems like a restauranty thing.

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 29, 2012 at 5:54 am

Cajun tempeh???? Any flavor profiles for it that would help you recreate (for me). YUM

4 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm

hmm… SPICY HOT. I will ask Jason and let you know… :)

5 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm

okay! I asked Jason… he said it was more jalapeno than it was cajun! He said there was no cayenne, and that if you marinate the tempeh with some kind of citrus, then grill it (with fire, he says)… and grill some jalapeno, add that to it.

(I am typing as he is talking… can you tell?) ;) I dunno… I only had one bite, so I don’t recall much. I’d say to maybe add some chili powder and cayenne…

6 Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family August 29, 2012 at 6:01 am

Your breakfast made me drool. What a delicious vegan treat!!!

Good find on vacation.

7 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I know – we were thrilled to find it. gotta love yelp searches! :)

8 jobo August 29, 2012 at 8:03 am

I wanna hear all about your time in Sonoma!!! did you love it? LOVE the car you rented!!!

9 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm

yesssss we loved it! we need to plan another trip where we stay closer to Healdsburg and get through more of your winery list… this was a spa/relaxation/spend time together kind of trip… so we DID enjoy some wine, but not all of it!