recipes with dates

in baking, Dessert, Gluten Free, Meatless Monday, raw, recipes, snacks, Vegan

I love dates.

This week is date week with Meatless Monday A-Z.

We are currently in Sonoma – we have actually been out of town on vacation since before last week’s caperberry cocktail party. Having no kitchen available all week, the only thing I’d be able to show you with dates is that photo above – my typical snack of peanut butter stuffed dates.

So this week’s #mmaz is a sweet roundup of sweets – date style.

triple berry layered cheesecake

grilled rosemary date bars

lavender goat cheese hand Pi

date filled butter cookie

tahini almond date bites

raw caramel apple cobbler

Last but certainly not in any way ever least, my raw apple cobbler. I make this all the time, and will update with recipe variations soon. Once you have made this a couple few times, you will find there are a few simple minutes and steps between you and a light, fresh and amazing dessert or snack.

Caramely, crunchy, cheerfully combined.

What are your favorite ways to use dates?

Better With Veggies

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 27, 2012 at 5:18 am

I really forget about dates. So many different ways to use them too.

2 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I always have them in the house… so versatile, yes, but as I was compiling these recipes I noticed I don’t have any savory date recipes… I need to get on that, obviously.

3 Abby August 27, 2012 at 5:45 am

I usually just eat them plain, but I forgot about your tahini almond ball things. When I saw that recipe the first time, I was excited because I actually had all the ingredients already. Did I make them? No, as five seconds later I forgot. Thanks for the reminder!

4 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm

oh, yes – make those soon, Abby! I love the tahini and date flavors together… meant to be.

5 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 27, 2012 at 5:46 am

You turned me on to pb stuffed dates and I am absolutely addicted. Actually I can’t have pb right now, so I’ve been using sunbutter. Not as good, but I’m still addicted.

6 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm

aww, yay – that makes me so happy to know it is all my fault ;) sunbutter just isn’t the same, right? glad you are still enjoying them, though!

7 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 27, 2012 at 5:47 am

Love them all and I love dates and can’t wait to get back home and have a few! They are no where to be found here, but hey, price I’ve been willing to pay :)

8 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm

heh, yeah… you poor thing ;)

9 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 27, 2012 at 5:59 am

Yum, I loved that raw apple cobbler. I’ve made the recipe a couple of times. Hope you’re having a great little getaway ;)

10 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm

so happy you like it, Leanne – that makes me smile big :D

11 jobo August 27, 2012 at 6:41 am

I freaking LOVE dates. My mom used to make a quick easy app just by stuffing them with peanut butter or cream cheese. so good! hehe! I need you to live here and make these for me. OR start your own online store. seriously.

12 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm

yes, SO good, so easy. then wrap the cream cheese dates in bacon? yeah… I really should look into that store thing. it would be SO much fun…

13 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 27, 2012 at 6:45 am

i just love dates – thanks for the reminder about dates w/peanut butter mmmm that looked so good!

Sticky toffee pudding is my favorite way to eat dates though! sooooooooooo good!

14 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm

oh man, I know I’ve seen you talk about this before. sticky toffee pudding are three words that absolutely go together. ;)

15 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 27, 2012 at 7:23 am

i just discovered the wonders that dates can do! i am a true believer now:) haha

16 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm

aren’t they just awesome? glad you have discovered this, Caralyn! :)

17 luv what you do August 27, 2012 at 7:24 am

I have recently become obsessed with these date bars.

They are so easy to make and everywhere I bring them, people love them!

18 Laurel August 27, 2012 at 8:11 am

Do you cater? I never seem to get past the nut butter stuffed dates. They are such an easy meal! Plus, nobody around here shares my food much. Reason enough to make the cheesecake though!

19 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:29 pm

haa, yes, then you can enjoy the whole cake yourself? (love where my mind goes first…) oh, if you made the cake others would of course eat it, right? :D

20 Laurel September 1, 2012 at 8:06 am

Actually. The only ones they’ll eat involve fudge and caramelly pecans, aka from ForkandBeans contest. So if I make cake, it’s all mine, usually eaten frozen because I freeze slices to ration it and then eat it anyway, frozen. I’m a Very Naughty Girl one moreover who needs cashews and layered cake!

21 spabettie September 1, 2012 at 9:18 am

haa haa, you and I? would get along Just Fine! ;)

22 Laurel September 1, 2012 at 10:42 am

Yes. This is why we’re moving Texas next to the floating trash heap. The weather and access to fresh produce are just added pluses.

23 tommy August 27, 2012 at 8:25 am

M makes your date tahini balls all the time, we love those!

24 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm

YAAAY <3

25 Kathryn August 27, 2012 at 9:25 am

Oh my gosh, these look so delicious! I love dates so I’m totally gonna try them!

26 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:25 pm

thanks, Kathryn!

27 bitt August 27, 2012 at 9:39 am

the first picture is great. you managed to make a date look really juicy not all dried and bug-like as they sometimes do in pics.

28 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm

thanks, Bitt! yeah, they don’t always look pretty, but their awesomeness makes up for that ;)

29 Allie August 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Hey, nothing wrong with a simple date+butter! Simple is sometimes best. Although, yeah, simple has itself a challenge with all your other recipes–I’ll take one of each, please ;)

30 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:23 pm

most of these are simple too, Allie! make them when you can do fruit again… (LOVED your take on “date”) ;)

31 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) August 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I always have Medjool dates in my pantry. They are so delicious. I have to make this raw apple cobbler pronto – looks amazing!

32 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I always do too, Alyssa – they’re my favorite. I hope you do make the cobbler – it is SO good, and fun to make ;)

33 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) August 27, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I just need to get some Lucuma powder – that is something I haven’t used yet but am excited to experiment with :)

34 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I love lucuma, and use it quite a bit. earthy sweet flavor.

35 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I throw dates into my protein shakes mostly, but love them all alone! I need to coat those suckers in peanut butter asap! All of this looks so good! Oh and I want that cheesecake. I’ll be right over if you promise to make it! It would so be worth the plane ticket!

36 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 6:52 pm

ahhhh, seeing you would be worth the plane ticket!!! < -- you know I mean it because I rarely use multiple exclamation... ;) I need to add dates to our smoothies more - done, tomorrow morning this is happening!

37 Evan Thomas August 27, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Dates are the best. I really need to buy them more often to have by themselves instead of only getting them when they’re called for a recipe.

38 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I started out buying them for recipes, and if I didn’t make that recipe right away, I’d have to buy more because I would eat too many! now I always have them on hand, for both :D

39 dorry August 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm

these all look amazing! the one I want right now? the triple berry layered cheesecake…

40 purelymichelle August 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm

we used to stuff our dates and coconut oil as our preworkout run snack. loved it, so simple and yummy

41 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 6:47 pm

sometimes all I can do is a pb-date before working out – they work well! :)

42 lindsay August 28, 2012 at 3:55 am

thats not fair, how can i choose just one recipe to make this week? I need them all. Man alive you are so talented!!

43 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:27 pm

thank you, dear! XO

44 Ksenija @ Health Ninja August 28, 2012 at 3:56 am

Mmmm, I really would like to nom this apple cobbler soon… let me have a guess on the ingredients: granny smith apple, dates and nuts (probably walnuts) and apple sauce? Cannot wait for the actual recipe to come up ;)

45 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:26 pm

hi Ksenija! all of the recipes are linked below each photo… the apple cobbler is already up – here it is: raw apple cobbler and you were pretty close on the ingredients! :)

46 Heather @ Better With Veggies August 28, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Mmmmmm – these all look awesome! And I’m jealous of your vacation, I’m in countdown mode for our vacation next week. :)

47 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:18 pm

woo hoo! you guys will have a fantastic time!

48 spabettie September 1, 2012 at 11:57 am

heee heee – we need to get working on this moving thing ;)