caramelized shallot dip

I like what October smells like.

As much as I love Love LOVE summertime, this is the time of year I am craving fall and everything it entails. Boots, scarves and warm snuggly sweaters. Halloween. Spicy warm apple cider. Halloween. Cooler temperatures and smoky scented evenings. Halloween. Comfort foods and my slow cooker having a permanent place on my counter. Halloween.

We are still enjoying light and fresh flavors of the summer, but I am also beginning to make more comfort foods as well. Heavier, warmer, creamier, heartier.

Sometimes I am serving these contrasts side by side – when we had friends over recently, I served the heirloom tomato bruschetta alongside a creamy dip.

I love dip. Dippy dip dip. Here it goes down, down into my belly.

caramelized shallot dip

dairy, soy and gluten free, vegan

3-5 whole shallots (full bulbs, depending on size), peeled and sliced fine
1 tablespoon butter (Earth Balance soy free)
3/4 cups oil (safflower)
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup raw cashews, soaked several hours
juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, minced fine
sea salt and pepper

Over low heat, sauté shallots slowly in butter until they caramelize (12-17 minutes), set aside to cool. In high powered blender, combine oil and milk and blend on high until creamy. Add cashews and lemon juice as you continue to blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in garlic and shallots. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with veggies and crunchy toasts or crackers.

I love dip.

Comments

I will be making this! And piping it directly into a feed bag and hanging it around my neck.
    And I am with you on the whole can’t-wait-for-fall business. I am done with the heat.

Wow this dip looks amazingly creamy and delicious! I have to make this.
    I am always so so torn this time of year, I absolutely love the summer and I don’t want to give up the warm weather and start in the direction of the snow and cold, but on the other hand fall is absolutely my most favorite time. There is something about the crisp air, the colors and the sound of the leaves, apple picking, etc. I love it all!

Ooh! I think this sounds like a great candidate for the Thanksgiving menu this year. Yes, you have just got me thinking about a holiday three months away. :) But who wouldn’t want to have this around for the prep and cooking stage of Thanksgiving morning?

it is in no way too early to be thinking about the holiday dinners… if I am honest I must say that I am too 😉 this WOULD be perfect for Thanksgiving!

“Here it goes down. Down into my belly.” <—hahahahaha! awesome. So adorable.

Much as I love summertime, I'm also looking forward to fall. My man gets home Sept 1st (after being gone since June!!) and I'm looking forward to a new semester. And comfort foods (which have been happening a lot lately, too). And Hallowe'en. I already know what I'm gonna be! 😀 <3

ooooh, Halloween! I can’t wait to hear more! I know what I want to do… I need to start soon though if I’m going to pull it off 😀

Wow, this looks great – I am definitely getting excited for Halloween, and already have a fall-type of feeling! It’s definitely in the air.
    So glad I found this via Pinterest :)

hi Lauren – happy you found me too! :)

yes… the days are still very warm here, but the evenings and nights get cool and cold – the other night it smelled like fall and I was so happy!

6. Alexis says

Hey there! I made this but it turned out a bit runny! Followed all the directions exactly but used lemon juice from a container–nothing much more than what an actual lemon would yield, I swear! 😉 Any tips on thickening this up so it looks more like yours? I tasted it and it’s wonderful, just a little soupy. Thanks in advance!

hi Alexis… I am sorry, I’m not sure why it didn’t thicken. it does take several minutes with a high power blender, but it does get there. if you are wanting to thicken the existing dip you made, maybe add more oil (just blend oil alone on highest power, until it is whipped thick). for a new batch, I would reduce the amount of milk – start with 1/4 cup and work up from there. hope this helps?

• Kristina Sloggett says

I am sorry to hear this, Matt – I am going to make this again soon to see why this has happened more than once, and report back with the result. Both times I have made this, I placed it in the fridge, that may have helped it set. (mine was not soupy, though, it was a thicker consistency even before refrigeration). thanks for the feedback.