caramelized shallot dip

in appetizers, Gluten Free, Happy Hour at Home, recipes, snacks, Vegan

I like what October smells like.

As much as I love Love LOVE summertime, this is the time of year I am craving fall and everything it entails. Boots, scarves and warm snuggly sweaters. Halloween. Spicy warm apple cider. Halloween. Cooler temperatures and smoky scented evenings. Halloween. Comfort foods and my slow cooker having a permanent place on my counter. Halloween.

We are still enjoying light and fresh flavors of the summer, but I am also beginning to make more comfort foods as well. Heavier, warmer, creamier, heartier.

Sometimes I am serving these contrasts side by side – when we had friends over recently, I served the heirloom tomato bruschetta alongside a creamy dip.

I love dip. Dippy dip dip. Here it goes down, down into my belly.

caramelized shallot dip

dairy, soy and gluten free, vegan

3-5 whole shallots (full bulbs, depending on size), peeled and sliced fine
1 tablespoon butter (Earth Balance soy free)
3/4 cups oil (safflower)
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup raw cashews, soaked several hours
juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, minced fine
sea salt and pepper

Over low heat, sauté shallots slowly in butter until they caramelize (12-17 minutes), set aside to cool. In high powered blender, combine oil and milk and blend on high until creamy. Add cashews and lemon juice as you continue to blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in garlic and shallots. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with veggies and crunchy toasts or crackers.

I love dip.

1 ellen August 22, 2012 at 5:23 am

I will be making this! And piping it directly into a feed bag and hanging it around my neck.
And I am with you on the whole can’t-wait-for-fall business. I am done with the heat.

2 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm

haaaa – you crack me up Ellen! :D

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 22, 2012 at 5:38 am

I love dip too. And I do love the smells of Halloween/fall. But man I’m not ready to give up summer just yet. Summer always feels way too short now matter how hot it’s been!

4 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm

last night we went for a walk and the air had that smell – that lovely October smell… :)

5 Beth @ Tasty Yummies August 22, 2012 at 6:13 am

Wow this dip looks amazingly creamy and delicious! I have to make this.
I am always so so torn this time of year, I absolutely love the summer and I don’t want to give up the warm weather and start in the direction of the snow and cold, but on the other hand fall is absolutely my most favorite time. There is something about the crisp air, the colors and the sound of the leaves, apple picking, etc. I love it all!

6 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I know… its just… cozy, right? I can’t wait :)

7 jobo August 22, 2012 at 6:51 am

I LOVE shallots!! This looks so good. Again. I am a broken record!

8 Jess August 22, 2012 at 7:50 am

Haha I love how you ended this post: “I love dip” <– mee toooooo!

9 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm

well I do. ;)

10 janetha August 22, 2012 at 8:07 am

holycrud, this looks amazing. i love anything caramelized–and in dip form? give me a spoon.

11 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I know. a spoon is a perfectly acceptable vehicle for this.

12 Allie August 22, 2012 at 8:11 am

Mmm, I love dip too! And Halloween. Halloween-themed dip? Heaven.

13 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm

oooh, Halloween themed dip. I already have ideas…

14 Allie August 29, 2012 at 7:51 am

And now you’re getting me excited for your posts all over again. I can’t wait to see these ideas! Is it Halloween yet?

15 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I know… I love Halloween!

16 Eileen August 22, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Ooh! I think this sounds like a great candidate for the Thanksgiving menu this year. Yes, you have just got me thinking about a holiday three months away. :) But who wouldn’t want to have this around for the prep and cooking stage of Thanksgiving morning?

17 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm

it is in no way too early to be thinking about the holiday dinners… if I am honest I must say that I am too ;) this WOULD be perfect for Thanksgiving!

18 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) August 22, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I love dip too and this sounds awesome!

19 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm

thank you, Alyssa!

20 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 22, 2012 at 1:40 pm

wow does THAT ever sound good! i should use shallots more often – they have such wonderful flavor! great recipe!

21 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I know… I go through shallot phases. I am currently enjoying such a phase ;)

22 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca August 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm

“Here it goes down. Down into my belly.” <—hahahahaha! awesome. So adorable.

Much as I love summertime, I'm also looking forward to fall. My man gets home Sept 1st (after being gone since June!!) and I'm looking forward to a new semester. And comfort foods (which have been happening a lot lately, too). And Hallowe'en. I already know what I'm gonna be! :D <3

23 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm

ooooh, Halloween! I can’t wait to hear more! I know what I want to do… I need to start soon though if I’m going to pull it off :D

24 Lindsay August 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I am a huge fan of caramelized onion dip so I bet this is amazing too!

25 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:18 pm

very similar flavor! :)

26 Lauren Adams August 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Wow, this looks great – I am definitely getting excited for Halloween, and already have a fall-type of feeling! It’s definitely in the air.
So glad I found this via Pinterest :)

27 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm

hi Lauren – happy you found me too! :)

yes… the days are still very warm here, but the evenings and nights get cool and cold – the other night it smelled like fall and I was so happy!

28 Alexis September 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Hey there! I made this but it turned out a bit runny! Followed all the directions exactly but used lemon juice from a container–nothing much more than what an actual lemon would yield, I swear! ;) Any tips on thickening this up so it looks more like yours? I tasted it and it’s wonderful, just a little soupy. Thanks in advance!

29 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

hi Alexis… I am sorry, I’m not sure why it didn’t thicken. it does take several minutes with a high power blender, but it does get there. if you are wanting to thicken the existing dip you made, maybe add more oil (just blend oil alone on highest power, until it is whipped thick). for a new batch, I would reduce the amount of milk – start with 1/4 cup and work up from there. hope this helps?

30 Matt November 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I have the same problem too. No matter how long I blend its still soupy.

31 Kristina Sloggett November 21, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I am sorry to hear this, Matt – I am going to make this again soon to see why this has happened more than once, and report back with the result. Both times I have made this, I placed it in the fridge, that may have helped it set. (mine was not soupy, though, it was a thicker consistency even before refrigeration). thanks for the feedback.

32 Matt September 11, 2012 at 5:40 am

great recipe, thanks for sharing. making again this weekend.

33 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm

you are welcome, Matt – enjoy!