miso roasted veggie tacos [taco Tuesday]

Backpacking through Mexico last year, I ate all kinds of tacos. It was always easy for me to find things to eat – if the restaurant or street stand did not have a veggie taco on the menu, it was easy enough (with my limited Spanish) to have one made.

The street food was by far the best I’ve ever had, anywhere. One night we convinced a cab to drive us around until we found the cart we were looking for – then made him park the cab so we could buy him dinner!

Amazing tacos filled with fresh vegetables, with that artful flick of the pineapple from the top of the al pastor stand – caught in midair into the taco and handed over to me.

Yum.

Since that trip, I have been more adventurous and creative with my own tacos at home. No, I don’t have the vertical spit in my kitchen, and I’m not wielding my knife at the whole pineapple perched atop.

These tacos? Miso? Flavors far removed from the street food of Sayulita and San Pancho (San Francisco, Nayarit).

These tacos are what I look for, though – creative and colorful, simple and flavorful.

Seeing that it is zucchini season, that one is a given for me – I love zucchini. Onions are always good, and mushrooms – I cannot resist those baby ‘bellos.

Use your favorite vegetables – just chop/slice them all in a fairly uniform size for even cooking, and you cannot go wrong.

miso roasted vegetables

adapted from this Cooking Light recipe

dairy and gluten free, vegan

2-3 tablespoons miso paste (I used red)
1 tablespoon water
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 zucchini (depending on size), sliced in rounds
1 pint baby portobello mushrooms, sliced or quartered
1 orange bell pepper, sliced
1 sweet onion, sliced
salt + pepperΒ

In a small bowl, whisk together miso, water and lemon juice. Add olive oil, whisking to combine. Set aside. Chop all vegetables. Place a large piece of foil on a baking sheet, pile all vegetables in middle of foil. Gather sides and corners of foil, creating a bowl with the foil, and pour miso mixture over vegetables. Crimp foil to close, cook in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

veggie taco assembly:

corn tortillas
1 recipe easy tomato Spanish rice
miso roasted vegetables
miso sauceΒ

Warm the tortillas in a skillet over medium heat. Spread a layer of Spanish rice down middle of tortilla, top with miso roasted vegetables and drizzle with miso sauce.

Taco Tuesday? Taco every day.

Comments

oh Kath, I think of you too! I still feel so misplaced from the internet these days – being out of town, busy, life I guess… I hope you are well, my sweet friend! XO

Oh love love this idea. What awesome flavors. I’m not super creative with tacos and burritos. I would never have thought to use the miso. I guess I tend to associate miso with Asian cooking only. Now I think we might have to participate in Taco Tuesday!

I don’t set out to be creative with the tacos … I just seem to use corn tortillas for wraps a lot… all kinds of things turn into a taco around here πŸ˜‰

Almost bought miso at Whole Foods the other day–but talked myself out of it. If only I’d known ;D And “sin carne” is the only Spanish you need to get a good veggie taco, haha. I use that one all the time…at the local Mexican food trucks/restaurants. I love living next to the “Little Mexico” area of my city :)

we look forward to a return visit to Mexico… we had SUCH good food! I will remember sin carne… πŸ˜‰

Why had I not read this post last night when making veggies to pair with my Orange Miso Hummus in a wrap for lunch today?

Perhaps because that would have been a bit of mis-overload?

[Obviously “mis-overload’ is now going to become a blog post title.]

I cannot WAIT for mis-overload. although I don’t know if that is possible for me, I LOOOOOOOVE my miso πŸ˜‰

oooh, SO jealous of your Momofoku visit! πŸ˜€ I have made this again already, I love miso and it roasts up so well!

NOOOO, say it isn’t so! please change this, by next Tuesday! πŸ˜‰ that is your assignment from spabettie, go forth and enjoy tacos!

…our backpacking trip was phenomenal – we cannot wait to do it again!