caperberry cocktail party

I love caperberries – salty, briny, salty goodness. Larger than the caper and a completely different thing, the caperberry is the fruit of the caper plant and is about the size of an olive, while a caper is the smaller flower bud. They taste similar, and I find the caperberry is milder in flavor.

Awesome salty flavor.

When Heather picked caperberries for C Week of Meatless Monday A to Z, I was thrilled. I actually already had two jars of caperberries in my pantry, along with at least three jars of capers. I always have capers.

We had some friends over for a Happy Hour at Home, Caperberry Style. They were greeted with a caperberry martini, made dirty with the brine juice. So very good.

For a fun one bite appetizer with some tang, I stuffed caperberries with my vegan goat cheese.

They were easy to pick up by their stem handles. An easy last minute prep that looks elegant and tastes crazy good. Especially when you drench them in agave…

create a gif

The third item for this caperberry cocktail party was a hummus – a lemony, garlicy, salty hummus. We served this with crunchy crisps and vegetables.

caperberry hummus

dairy, soy and gluten free, vegan

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and peeled
3 tablespoons tahini

juice of 2 lemons
1 clove garlic, peeled
handful (8-10) caperberries, stemmed
sea salt, to taste
olive oil, for garnish
2-3 whole caperberries, for garnish

In food processor, purée chickpeas until crumbly-smooth, add tahini, lemon juice, garlic and caperberries. Salt as needed. Blend until smooth. Transfer to serving bowl, pour 1-2 tablespoons olive oil over top, garnish with whole caperberries.

This has been my favorite week with #mmaz yet! Are you a caperberry or caper fan?

Here’s one of my favorite recipes using the smaller, stronger, saltier caper:

lemon piccata enchilada

Better With Veggies

Cheers – happy Monday!

Comments

I had no idea what to do with mine at first–so I read the label and the first suggestion was “cocktails.” I was going to go buy a bottle of vodka and stop right there, haha. Love that we both went for the caperberry + goat cheese combo! (Don’t really know what went wrong, though, because my goat cheese did not work :( ). Anyway, happy MMAZ–and now I totally want a bowl of that hummus with some good veggie sticks.

2. Edie says

I love the martini, can’t wait to try one this way. did I read correctly, vegan goat cheese? need to see this now!

the stuffed caperberries were the best… we all loved them just as is, then someone had the brilliant idea of agave… 😉

3. Western Garden Mama says

I have never tried a caperberry, but those stuffed look good and fun! Thanks for giving me another use for the goat cheese!

delicious! I love caperberries – they remind me of Villa d’Este in Italy – the hotel where I snagged you the beautiful blue bathroom items! :)

they had caperberries on the smoked salmon platter every morning and I ate a million of them.

aww, yes, that lovely bath collection :) I remember your photos of those morning salmon arrangements – perfection!

5. Brenda says

I consider myself well versed in exotic foods, but I have no idea where to buy caperberries. Any suggestions?

hi Brenda! I found these in our local store (kind of like a whole foods) in the condiment aisle, with the jars of capers, olives, tapenade, all that. I think I have seen them in even “mainstream” grocery stores, but if you have a “gourmet” store in your area, check there? I hope you find them!

6. Natasha says

You have been officially elevated to Goddess status in my books…DIRTY MARTINI?! Yessssssssssssa! Vodka I hope?
    Delish – deeeeeelis….love the caperberry! Hope your well girl..and Pops too :) Tres busy getting ready for school and..!!! – workin’ on the blogsite….wordpress here I come :)
    Hugs and miss you! Smooch for Basil

of course with vodka, my darling! these were GOOOOOOD too.

I cannot wait to see your website, weeee! and hear more about school, good for you, sweetie! oh gosh I miss you!! big hugs back to you and all your furries XXO

7. Scott says

I have been doing Caperberry Martinis for years now, glad to see someone else doing it! It is a perfect match!!!

How did I not think of caperberry hummus?!?!

I love the little goat cheese stuffed (and agave drenched!) caperberry pops. Perhaps that’s what shall happen with the leftover ‘berries’ in my fridge? [Although, it would probably just be a happy hour for one.]

thanks, Lindsay – the martini was delicious – and I am STILL thinking about those stuffed caperberries, oh my!

Trackbacks