cherry goat cheese rustic tarts

If I made these just like my dark chocolate cherry galettes, can I still call them rustic tarts?

They are basically the same thing, a free form dessert filled with goodness.

I have made a second batch of this goat cheese (recipe coming soon, I promise promise!), and I have been enjoying it with all kinds of things. The best pairing? A tangy goat cheese with a sweet cherry, enveloped into a flaky warm sugared crust.

Look at that sugar.

I spared a precious few cherries from my dwindling stash. Yes, I only have two containers in the freezer, and, well, a pretty large container of dehydrated. The summer of cherries is almost over. Only a few recipes left.

It is not an accident that I chose to make my own goat cheese during August – which is National Goat Cheese Month. We are going to be celebrating every day until September. and then some.

cherry goat cheese rustic tarts

adapted from dark chocolate cherry galettes

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes four individual galettes

40-50 fresh cherries, pitted
1/3 cup sugar, divided
juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
1 pie crust recipe (see below)
1/4 cup olive oil

Combine cherries with 2 tablespoons sugar and juice, stir until sugar is dissolved. Divide cherries and goat cheese among 4 pies, arrange in the center of each pie (see directions below), leaving an inch border. Fold the border of crust up around filling, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350 for 27-32 minutes (check at 27).

easy gluten free and vegan pie crust

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes 4 individual galettes (or one single crust pie)

1 cup sweet rice flour
1 cup all purpose flour (gluten free)
1/2 cup cold butter (Earth Balance – not soy free)
1/4 – 1/2 cup cold water*

Combine flours and butter with dough cutter or fork. Add water gradually* – start with 1/4 cup and add by tablespoon after that until dough is forms. Knead and form a ball, wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Divide into four equal pieces and roll into small circles. Arrange on baking sheet lined in parchment or silpat.

I wish I could share these with each and every one of you.

I know, I know… I really am not trying to tease! I had very little time to post yesterday, and this one was complete 😉 I’m working on the goat cheese right now – going over my notes from making it twice! 😀

1. bitt says

I may be kind of out of it but I’m really confused, is the cheese vegan? Why call it goat cheese? I get mixed up on your blog sometimes because you do sometimes have animal products.

yes, the cheese is vegan, I am sharing the recipe soon. I call it goat cheese because the tangy flavor and the consistency of goat cheese is what I was emulating. I don’t get into the renaming things like “mylk” or “cheeze” because it is different. I am calling this “goat cheese” in the same way someone may call something “vegan velveeta” or “vegan brie”. no goats involved.

ha – I know… when I picked that first batch off the tree, I came in and started pitting them… one for the bowl, one for me, one for the bowl…

how I managed to save any for recipes is beyond me!

2. Lora @cakeduchess says

These little rustic tarts look fantastic! I love making fruit tarts in the summer time. Your cherries look so good!:)xx

Aww, these look wonderful! I probably should try things like these again, although I still tend to shy away from eating too many carbs due to my sensitive blood sugar. But it has gotten better during the past months, so I should probably try some baking again.

ohh this looks soo yummy! ive only recently started eating goats cheese too and am loving it. what a great list….i don’t think i have that long a list for the winter i’ve just had…i hope to have a list like yours in my upcoming summer starting soon!