maple roasted beet salad with vegan goat cheese

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,Meatless Monday,Portland,recipes,restaurants,Vegan

maple roasted beet salad

When I was in college, there was a singer in Portland who had this fantastic “lounge act” – Tony Starlight. He and his band would play various clubs around town, where he would give props to the classics like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tom Jones and Neil Diamond. He has a perfect Neil Diamond voice.

To say I was a fan would be an understatement – I frequented his shows, I have the CD, I even had the calendar. His shows are good fun – he tells jokes, has a great singing voice (and sings great songs!), and his genuine admiration for classic musical talent comes through.

Then he moved to Hollywood. My friends and I missed those entertaining shows.

maple beet kale salad

A few years ago, I was working at the desk of the spa I was managing at the time. The door opens and in walks a new client – ohmystars it was Tony Starlight! He had used his real name to make the appointment, so I had no idea. I was so dang excited – he and his wife had returned to Portland, and converted an old favorite nightclub, the Blackbird, into Tony Starlight’s Supper Club and Lounge. Same great act, in his own space, with the full supper club experience.

goat cheese beet salad (vegan)

Saturday night we meet friends for the signature Tony Show (see link for videos!). We arrived early and were able to catch the last part of Tony and his band rehearsing for a Neil Diamond anniversary series coming soon. Did I tell you he has a perfect Neil Diamond voice?

The show was fantastic as always, my face hurt from smiling and laughing so much. When looking at the dinner menu, I saw a beet salad. I did not order it or see it, but in honor of fleet week beet week, I made an adapted version of Tony’s.

This is week two of Meatless Mondays A to Z, and b stands for beets!

This salad includes a vegan goat cheese, a recipe I will share soon.

maple roasted beet salad

dairy, soy and gluten free, vegan

serves two

2 medium size beets
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
2 servings kale chiffonade salad (recipes here and here)
marcona almonds
vegan goat cheese, crumbled

Scrub beets and slice thin, then chop each slice into quarters. Place a piece of foil on a baking sheet, pile beets in center of foil. Whisk together maple syrup, olive oil and lemon juice, pour over beets. Gather all sides/corners of foil, crimping closed. Roast in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes for crunchy beets, 30-35 minutes for softer beets.

Take care in opening the foil packet, as steam will escape when opened. Using tongs or fork, serve atop a kale chiffonade salad, with vegan goat cheese (or vegan cheese of choice) and marcona almonds.

…with a crisp white chardonnay, this was perfect.

maple beet salad with vegan goat cheese

Are you a fan of the classics, Frank, Dean or Sammy? Tom Jones? Neil Diamond?

Last week’s Meatless Monday recipe – artichoke shiitake ceviche.

More beet recipes:

pink thumbprints with whiskey ganache

berry beet juice

spicy hot shots in chocolate glasses

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 13, 2012 at 5:21 am

So cool that he’s back. I’m assuming you had a wonderful evening. And you know I’m loving this salad. How could you go wrong with any part of it????

2 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 9:09 am

I know, his shows are SO fun! I knew you’d like this one – you cannot go wrong! happy Monday, friend!

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 13, 2012 at 5:37 am

I love marcona almonds! I bet it was fantastic with the beets. I’ve done a tofu-based vegan goat cheese before, but it didn’t look as crumbly as yours does. Can’t wait for that recipe too!

4 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 9:09 am

yes, the marconas are good with this (um, marconas are good with just about everything??). I am excited about this goat cheese! …oh and YOUR recipe today?? YUM!

5 Jess August 13, 2012 at 6:07 am

I LOVE beets!! I’m actually making a similar salad for lunch today as a matter of fact – we got golden beets at the farmer’s market yesterday. SO pretty. I’m making mine with fresh red leaf lettuce, goat cheese, beets, and tomatoes. YUM!!

6 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 9:02 am

Mmm, yours sounds good too – so fresh! Happy Monday, girl! xo

7 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 13, 2012 at 6:23 am

beets are nature’s candy – love them :) And with maple, even better! I’m craving beets now!

8 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 9:02 am

the maple makes them even sweeter – we ate large versions of this salad again as dinner last night! :)

9 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 13, 2012 at 8:42 am

oooh vegan goat cheese! can’t wait! and this salad looks wonderful!

10 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 9:00 am

I’m very excited about this goat cheese. :)

and thank you! hope you are having a great Monday!

11 Allie August 13, 2012 at 8:43 am

I can’t wait for this GOAT CHEESE recipe! I still really want to make the brie you posted about the other day (one of the many recipes you’ve contributed to my “to make” list–a couple of which I got through this weekend and WILL be posting about ;D ).

Mmm, I love beets! Best challenge theme ever…

12 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 8:59 am

oooh, YAY I look forward to seeing what you made! :) and the goat cheese? even better than the brie! :D your beet recipe was phenomenal (I think I am in your spam again *sigh*) and I’ll be making that one! glad you joined in in the MMAZ, it’s fun, right?

have a great week, friend!

13 Allie August 13, 2012 at 10:34 am

Okay, now I’m even more excited. And yeah, you do keep ending up in my spam. But I rescued you! No worries. Totally hooked on MMAZ, already planning next Monday, haha.

14 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm

yay, glad you are doing the MMAZ too! I already have a few ideas for caperberries. yep, a few. ;)

15 Tommy August 13, 2012 at 10:15 am

OH WOW those gorgeous pink cookies!! you are so dang creative, will you have those pink shot glasses ready when we visit? kthanx. ;)

16 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I need to figure out how to pack these for travel and send them to you… ;)

17 Linda Mercury August 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

Mmm, that salad looks delicious. The Charming Man and I will be right over! :)

And the Tony Starlight show is superfantastic.

Linda M.

18 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Tony’s was SO fun, and so were you guys! lets get together again soon! :D

19 Eileen August 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

Roasted beets are one of my favorites! Who doesn’t want a delicious earthy-sweet bits in the middle of an amazing salad? Well, I obviously do. :)

20 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I agree, Eileen! I keep saying I need to cook with beets more – all I generally do is JUICE them! we both loved this salad – I’ll be making it more often!

21 jobo August 13, 2012 at 11:40 am

I love beets and beet salads! this looks def doable for me too haha. As long as I don’t burn the apartment down like I almost did last time making beets ;-)

22 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm

oh yikes, that doesn’t sound good! ;) I need to do this more, all I ever do is JUICE my beets. we both really liked this salad.

23 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I need to roast beets! These sound amazing! It’s been so long since I played with beets. The last time I did anything with them, I smoked them. It was amazing! I need to get at that again!

24 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I just bought myself a (stovetop) smoker, I need to play with it!! smoked beets sound GOOD. I always have beets in my fridge (daily juice!), but I forget how much I like to roast them – SO good. and honestly, they don’t even need the maple syrup – so sweet by themselves!

25 Jeanette August 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

What a pretty salad – I’m a huge fan of roasted beet salads. Can’t wait to see your vegan goat cheese recipe!

26 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:56 pm

thank you Jeanette – I loved how this looked too. we eat with our eyes first, right? goat cheese coming soon… ;)

27 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca August 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm

That is such a cute story! I love nostalgic moments like that that take me back :) Glad you had a great time!

This salad looks amazing! But I almost forgot about those thumbprint cookies! I saw you post them before & I just realized I forgot to pin them! They’re pinned now :D hehe. Chocolate, whiskey, & PINK, I’m all over it <3

28 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm

those thumbprints are so fun – I love the color beets can give, the pink and brown are so fun! and yeah, chocolate and whiskey AND pink? my head just exploded.

29 purelymichelle August 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm

mmm you had me at beets!!

30 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I know… roasted are my favorite!

31 Maddy August 13, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Oh man! I want that vegan goat cheese recipe :)

32 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:53 pm

hi Maddy! I’ll be sharing soon! :D

33 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 13, 2012 at 9:40 pm

That’s too cool! Such a small world and great that you got to see him again.

I love this series – Meatless Mondays A-Z, so brilliant!

34 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I know, so happy Tony is back in Portland! such a fun show.

you should join us with this series, Leanne – this next Monday is C – caperberries!

35 Ute August 13, 2012 at 10:02 pm

this is a striking salad, very pretty! I like beets when they are fresh. I had to recover from a childhood of horrible canned beets yuck!
intrigued by a vegan goat cheese, hope you share that soon?

36 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:52 pm

ACK, canned beets! ;) not a fan here either. I will share the goat cheese soon, I promise!

37 Isa August 14, 2012 at 10:30 am

tease tease! can’t wait to see the cheese, did you use the Irish moss again?

38 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I did, but just a little! I wanted it to kinda hold together, but was going for a consistency of the soft goat cheese, so it could be optional. recipe coming soon! ;)

39 Heather @ Better With Veggies August 14, 2012 at 11:03 am

So what you’re saying is you’re taunting us with an amazing recipe, but we have to wait for the goat cheese post to actually make it?! Such a tease! ;)

40 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:21 pm

heh heh. I better get on that, because ONE of the caperberry things I’m doing MAY have the goat cheese again… ;)

41 kristy @ gastronomical sovereignty August 15, 2012 at 9:17 am

i made a beet salad recipe last week – beet salads are everything that’s good in the world. especially with goat cheese and some kind of nuts. mmmm beets and cheese and nuts… maybe i’ll make another one this weekend. haha.

as per usual, would love to see this post at the Fresh Foods Blog Hop love :)

42 spabettie August 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm

ahh, sorry I keep forgetting about it. well, not really forgetting, just so dang busy. and forgetful ;)

beets and cheese and nuts, oh my! ;)