Native Foods Café

in Breakfast, daily juice, daily smoothie, Dessert, Portland, summertime, Vegan

…because wine is a staple, right? I can think of a few girls who will agree with me.

Yesterday Jason took the day off, and we toured the Street of Dreams. We love going each year, and this year was especially fun because we had our new house in mind.

We are planning to remodel our kitchen and I have drawn plans for what we want, but I was looking for things I may not know about that I may just have to have! We were both looking for furniture and decor inspiration as well, and we came home with a stack of magazines, brochures and ideas.

I will share more soon, but right now this is a What I Ate Street of Dreams Day, instagram and phone photo style.

Complete with wine staples. Like juice!

Breakfast was a juiced smoothie – carrot, beet, apple, ginger juice – blended with spinach and banana. Tasty, energizing and filling!

I also had a piece of tahini avocado toast before we left the house.

Our tickets to the tour included two drinks – beer or wine.

Summer staple, right there. We stopped after house number five, sat and enjoyed a crisp and cool chardonnay.

After two more houses, the tour was complete and we were hungry! Off we went to Native Foods Café

Jason had tacos. I didn’t taste them, because sheesh do you see all the cilantro on them?! They were filled with quinoa, beans, guacamole, all kinds of love. He said they were fantastic.

The side he chose was Lemon Dill Potato Salad – which I did try, and it was fantastic. Fresh and bright.

My choice was the daily special – the Classic Deli Reuben:

I chose sweet potato fries as my side, and dipped them in The Most Glorious Ranch I have ever tasted. (Let the record show, I have tasted a lot of ranch).

The reuben? Amazing.

Jason had a gluten free beer, of which he said “yeah, it was good. those gluten free beers don’t have much body, you know?” and I loved my lavender lemonade. Lots of body…?

Dessert:

A cardamom rose cupcake.

I was excited about this one, because I love rosewater flavored desserts, but honestly, this rose frosting was way too strong. I loved the cardamom cake, though, and the ratio of frosting to cake? Perfect.

All in all, a great day. I always love the Street of Dreams tour, and this one has motivated me to finish unpacking and hanging artwork, start on the painting and decor projects I have in mind, and get contractors in here to bid on the kitchen!

…and Native Foods Café? You will be seeing me again very soon. I have a plan to enjoy each and every item on your menu…

Native Foods Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal August 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I’ve never had cardamom before but the rose cupcake loooks sooo goooodd <3

2 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 10:54 pm

the cake part WAS good! ;)

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm

That all looks so good! I would have been all about the cilantro. :)

I need to try tahini toast…

4 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:55 pm

YES you do!! you SO do! I love it so, and you can add anything to it. Mmm…

well, anything except cilantro… ;) you can have mine.

5 Carbzilla August 7, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I had no idea there was a Native Foods in PDX! I love that place, but have only gone in CA.

Was it a great SoD? I want to go but we’d have to get a dog sitter, blah blah blah, so it’d have to be worth it. If it included a trip to Native Foods, that would be a major factor.

6 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I think the Native Foods is a pretty new one, it’s down South in Bridgeport Village, but SO worth the drive, I think!

I liked the SoD… I always do. There were a couple houses that were just MEH, but some really great ones and some fun details (one had a beer brewing setup AND a hydroponic container – WHAT??) < -- so Oregon. ;) It's also kinda "South", meaning West Linn, and if you come back up via 205 South to I5 North, you pass right by Native Foods... ;) There are seven houses this year, and a VERY short bus ride (I hate the bus rides, so this is a plus!) :)

at any rate, we should go to Native Foods sometime!

7 theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine August 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I just ate of native foods for the first time not to long away and I really like it as well! I really want to explore the menu a little more and I think that rueben is on the top of my list!

8 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I definitely recommend the reuben, Theresa! it is messy, but worth it!

9 jessie August 7, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Oh my goodness, everything looks delicious… especially the reuben!!

10 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:50 am

Jessie, that reuben was AMAZING. :)

11 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets August 8, 2012 at 3:14 am

Sangria and pretty much any white wine is a summer staple. Jason’s tacos look aaaammmmazing! Right up my alley, and the cupcake, yum. Too bad the frosting, while in perfect ratio, was overpowering. I hate it when desserts don’t live up to your expectations.

12 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:50 am

I know, so disappointed in the frosting… I look forward to trying more of their cupcakes, though. the cake was fantastic and they are generous with the frosting, which is GOOD. :)

13 katie August 8, 2012 at 4:28 am

Love Native Foods! I have been to one in Cali before and loved it!

Yay for the kitchen getting done, I can’t wait to see it when it is all complete!

Happy Wednesday love!

Sending love to dad <3

14 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

I know, I need to finish this house decor so I can share photos here! I have some fun projects planned…

thank you, dear… we are taking Dad to lunch on Sunday, it is his birthday Monday!! :) :)

15 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 8, 2012 at 5:38 am

That’s a big problem Tony has with gluten free beers. I likes good solid beers and gluten free doesn’t have that. I think that’s why he’s been into the ciders lately and more specifically Jack’s Hard Cider. It’s just not beer. Looks like a completely delicious day!

16 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:48 am

Jason says he wants to try to make his own… we have tried one that isn’t *TOO* bad, Jason likes it and me with my oh so distinguished beer palate says it tastes like “normal” beer ;)

17 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 8, 2012 at 5:38 am

Yep, I agree that wine is a staple ;-) I really wish we had a place like that around here. It’s just not fair (stomps feet like a child)

18 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:47 am

see, I knew you’d agree ;)

sorry, Heather. guess you’ll just have to visit Portland…

19 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen August 8, 2012 at 7:01 am

I’ve got it! We will finally meet…at Native Foods. I want to go there. NOW.

Just make sure you bring me some apple carrot beet ginger juice. That’s pretty much my favorite thing. Ever. With a squeeze of lemon.

[Yes. As you know, I am prone to hyperbole.]

20 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:46 am

yes Yes YES, this is a splendid idea! we went for lunch that day, and I wanted to go back for dinner! ;)

I’ll bring you all the juice you can drink!

21 Heather @ Better With Veggies August 8, 2012 at 7:02 am

Do you have that cilantro issue where it tastes like soap? (sorry, you’ve probably talked about it before)

Native Foods is on my wish list, it looks SO good! I think there’s one in Boulder, so I really need to make the trip. :)

22 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:45 am

so many people say the soap thing, I don’t see it? it just tastes strong and bitter to me, and is VERY overpowering. I can handle a small amount – in the vegan fusion class I had to cook with it, and as much as the instructor was nice and telling me to leave it out, I was a champ and used it. AND ate it! :D

23 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:45 am

…and YES… get thee to Native Foods Boulder!!

24 Allie August 8, 2012 at 7:03 am

Beer is definitely a summer staple. But wine? That’s more of a year-round one ;D And as much as I complain that smoothies always look the same when people post about them–yours look amazing! Genius to take a picture of the layers/ingredients, rather than the final result, which always, well, looks like a smoothie.

25 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

you are right – a year round staple. I suppose for me it turns to to big bold red, while a light crisp white is my summer wine!

yep, there are only so many smoothie photos you can take, right? and this one kinda turns brown with the spinach. I like the bright pink red! :D

26 jobo August 8, 2012 at 7:49 am

Wine IS a staple!! I LOVE that idea for a cupcake, that is so cool! and everything looks yumtastic! I love dill!

27 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:42 am

I knew you would agree. an essential staple! ;)

28 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

how fun! it sounds like a terrific restaurant! those tacos look amazing!

29 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:41 am

we loved this place – cannot wait to go back!

30 Tommy August 8, 2012 at 10:19 am

GIRL. you know wine is a staple. I have a whole RACK of staples over here. ;)

31 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:40 am
32 Becks at Crunchy Can Feel Good August 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

That cupcake looks like it’s towering over all the other cupcakes in the universe! Crazy… I’m not a huge fan of rose … well anything. But I can see it going well with cardamon. And wine totally is a summer staple. I know. Because I work in a liquor store ;)

33 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

haaa – then you know exactly what people are drinking right now ;) it must be interesting to see the different drinks based on season, time of year, etcetera?

34 Becks at Crunchy Can Feel Good August 9, 2012 at 11:53 am

Absolutely. The rest of the year no one wants lager and thinks it’s super crap, but come summer time that’s all anyone really wants. That and specialty fruit ales. And I have no idea how many times I’ve helped people choose wine and booze for sangria, or written down the recipe. I almost can’t wait until all anyone wants is Bailey’s.

35 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm

what a fun job! and yessss… I love the Baileys Time of Year. actually I love the holiday liquor store finds, all the fun packages with glasses… I have several of those Baileys glasses… ;)

36 Kristy August 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Our family loves Native Foods. I love their Crunchy Kale Salad with added peppered seitan. Heaven!

37 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:33 am

I cannot wait to go back and try more! :D

38 Min August 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Wow! Street of Dreams sounds soo much fun! What a wonderful way to spend a day! I really need some inspirations when it comes to home decor. The taco sounds amazing! I used to HATE cilantro, but I persisted and continued to give it a chance since the hubby is obsessed with the very controversial herb. Now, I’m not a HUGE fan, but I can appreciate it. I’d LOVE to see your finished project! And I’m so glad you stopped by my blog bc it led me to your lovely blog! Happy WIAW!

39 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:32 am

I know, this was the perfect time to go, I need decor inspiration here too! I cooked with cilantro in class last month, and you know? it wasn’t TOO bad ;) thanks for reading Min!

40 Sloane August 8, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Wine is definitely a summer staple! Chilled Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio on the back porch before dinner is one of my favorite things in the whole world (especially if dinner is on the grill!) Those sweet potato fries look AMAZING. So does that cupcake–I had cupcakes in my WIAW post this week too! Thanks for sharing and happy wednesday!
xoxo

41 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

ah, Sloane, you just described the perfect setting – outside on a summer evening, enjoying a glass of cold wine, grilling… YES! I am trying to visit many of the WIAW posts, I will go visit you soon! :D

42 Rebecca August 8, 2012 at 8:29 pm

The Taco Trio! I was just thinking last week that I could eat that everyday. It might have dethroned The Oklahoma as my favorite Native Foods dish (get an extra side of ranch, it you order The Okie, just for dipping).

Their cardamom rose cupcake made me realize that I just don’t like eating floral.

43 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:29 am

yes, Rebecca!! THAT is what it’s called!! I didn’t see it on the menu to talk about it – Jason said it was a special written on the board… I don’t know, I was already being mesmerized by the dessert counter when he was ordering his, so I didn’t know what he chose until it came to the table ;)

I really like rose, but this was WAY too strong. I look forward to trying other flavors, because the cake was fantastic!

44 RIchard August 9, 2012 at 4:12 am

thank you for this candid reviews, I am now looking forward to trying this cafe.

45 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:25 am

hi Richard, I hope you have one nearby that you can visit, we loved this place! thanks for reading, Kristina

46 Elizabeth August 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm

You all that have access to vegan restaurants like this are beyond lucky. We cannot eat out anywhere in town, or at least anywhere and get something interesting and tasty.

47 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm

hi Elizabeth! I so realize how lucky I am to live in Portland, where we have so many great veggie options. I know some places immediately think salad or pasta are decent veggie offerings, and sometimes that will still have cheese on it! or… fish! I hope more of these places arrive in your area soon!

48 Elizabeth August 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm

We have problems with the soups…no, there is no meat in it. Oh yeah. It has chicken /beef broth. Or pasta and marinara sauce being the only option. A new restaurant just opened call Roasted. We got all excited and called and asked it they were vegetarian and or vegan. You can get a roasted vegetable sandwich but that is it for choices. Our only choice , where we eat out at least once a week is Thai as they sub in tofu in every dish and will make each dish to specific order. I am definitely going to try the cauliflower steak recipe I saw. Of course the grocery stores do not carry vegan cheese so I will just need to do a different sauce.

49 hihorosie August 10, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I have yet to be to a Street of Dreams tour…I *need* to go! :)

Bummer about the cupcake. But why oh why must cilantro be put in everything? And in huge amounts? Ugh. I’m not a fan of the herb so I never use it (much to the [somewhat] dismay of my hubs) and pick it out of things I must have aside from that. ha!

50 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

yeah, I’m not the biggest cilantro fan. at all. recently I can take it in small doses, I am getting used to it. I’m going back to NF this week, and will try a new cupcake! ;)

51 Laura August 13, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I wish we had something like this, maybe I should open my own LOL. do they franchise??

52 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:51 pm

hmm, I’m not sure, Laura… I just looked at their website and googled a bit. they are expanding, but I didn’t see anything about franchise opportunities. I did see a few other plant based restaurants listed as franchise, and this type of restaurant is growing in popularity and becoming more mainstream – hopefully there will be one in your area soon?

53 Jackie August 14, 2012 at 8:26 am

we love Native Foods, I think I have had nearly everything on the menu (saying the same thing you did on my first visit, and wanted to return that night!!). my favorite is the ranch burger and that taco trio! their parfait is good, and the strawberry shortcake is my favorite dessert, just had it yesterday!! ;) enjoy!

54 spabettie August 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I forgot about the shortcake!! that was Jason’s dessert pick, and we were SO hungry we ate that while waiting for our lunches to arrive… oops. didn’t even snap a photo. ;)

55 Andreas Laatsch November 26, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Just discovered this site through Google, what a pleasant surprise!